Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Moz
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
      Rat said:
      > Any requests?

      Put them somewhere that I don't have to create a yahoo id for and log
      in?

      Oh, knots... I'm always interested in new knots, would love to see
      yours.

      Butterfly, truckie, bowline and figure 8 are about all I ever use,
      plus my easy-tie variant on the Hennessy knot. But all of those on the
      web in one place would be useful. I'll put my variant up on my web
      pages tomorrow and post a link.

      Moz
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
        People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
        place. Thanks for your work.

        I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
        butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

        > Guilty as charged. I've been meaning to put up some more. Now maybe I
        > have the motivation to get 'er done.
        >
        > Glad you liked them.
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.
        > >
        > > Bill in Houston
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005

          > People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
          > place. Thanks for your work.
          >
          > I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
          > butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.
          >
          > Bill in Houston

          Cool, I will post the Butterfly and the Taughtline hitch tomorrow
          (tonight for ya'll). I have never thought about putting them on my
          website, I'm just learning how to do all that stuff, but that might be
          kinda cool also.

          Rat
        • Ted Wagner
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
            Rat,

            Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
            for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
            ;)

            requests.... timber hitch

            See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
            http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html

            Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
            USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
              Rat,

              I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
              highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
              with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
              hammock suspension rope.

              Youngblood
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
                Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

                y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

                Contains the following knots:
                Bowline
                Bowline Sailors Way
                Butterfly
                butterfly Sailors Way
                Figure 8 on a Bight
                Highwayman hitch
                Mooring Hitch
                Taughtline Hitch

                Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
                wrote:
                > Rat,
                >
                > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
                > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
                > ;)
                >
                > requests.... timber hitch
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                  More knots...

                  I posted more knots today.

                  Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                  Timber Hitch
                  Farmer's Hitch

                  I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
                  read.

                  Rat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                    Rat,

                    I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                    looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                    similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                    release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
                    times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
                    that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
                    seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
                    ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
                    able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
                    between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
                    you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

                    Youngblood

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                    > More knots...
                    >
                    > I posted more knots today.
                    >
                    > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                    > Timber Hitch
                    > Farmer's Hitch
                    >
                    > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
                    > read.
                    >
                    > Rat
                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                      Youngblood,

                      Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
                      suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
                      Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
                      isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

                      Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
                      you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
                      on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
                      easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
                      Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
                      hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
                      Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
                      be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

                      I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
                      Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
                      wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
                      extreme tension.

                      Rat

                      > Rat,
                      >
                      > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                      > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                      > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                      > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
                      3
                      > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
                      loaded
                      > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
                      something...
                      > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
                      tarp
                      > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
                      being
                      > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
                      difference
                      > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
                      not
                      > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
                      >
                      > Youngblood
                    • Rat
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                        I also put up two more knots
                        The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                        and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                        Rat

                        P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                        me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                        kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                        put up bad knot info.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                          Rat,

                          I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                          suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                          friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                          it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                          On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                          then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                          finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                          wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                          taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                          hitch with a slip loop.

                          Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                          preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                          for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                          ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                          ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                          comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                          the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                          Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                          for which knot to use in what condition.)

                          I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                          sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                          better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                          confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                          work you are doing.

                          Youngblood