[Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
      Any requests?

      I am going to put up the taughtline hitch, again (I screwed the first
      one up and deleted it). If you have a favorite wilderness knot you
      would like to see, I will post the pictures.

      Rat
    • Moz
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
        Rat said:
        > Any requests?

        Put them somewhere that I don't have to create a yahoo id for and log
        in?

        Oh, knots... I'm always interested in new knots, would love to see
        yours.

        Butterfly, truckie, bowline and figure 8 are about all I ever use,
        plus my easy-tie variant on the Hennessy knot. But all of those on the
        web in one place would be useful. I'll put my variant up on my web
        pages tomorrow and post a link.

        Moz
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
          People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
          place. Thanks for your work.

          I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
          butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

          > Guilty as charged. I've been meaning to put up some more. Now maybe I
          > have the motivation to get 'er done.
          >
          > Glad you liked them.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.
          > >
          > > Bill in Houston
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005

            > People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
            > place. Thanks for your work.
            >
            > I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
            > butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.
            >
            > Bill in Houston

            Cool, I will post the Butterfly and the Taughtline hitch tomorrow
            (tonight for ya'll). I have never thought about putting them on my
            website, I'm just learning how to do all that stuff, but that might be
            kinda cool also.

            Rat
          • Ted Wagner
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
              Rat,

              Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
              for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
              ;)

              requests.... timber hitch

              See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
              http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html

              Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
              USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 9, 2005
                Rat,

                I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
                highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
                with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
                hammock suspension rope.

                Youngblood
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 10, 2005
                  Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

                  y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

                  Contains the following knots:
                  Bowline
                  Bowline Sailors Way
                  Butterfly
                  butterfly Sailors Way
                  Figure 8 on a Bight
                  Highwayman hitch
                  Mooring Hitch
                  Taughtline Hitch

                  Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner <trwagner1@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Rat,
                  >
                  > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
                  > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
                  > ;)
                  >
                  > requests.... timber hitch
                • Rat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                    More knots...

                    I posted more knots today.

                    Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                    Timber Hitch
                    Farmer's Hitch

                    I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
                    read.

                    Rat
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                      Rat,

                      I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                      looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                      similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                      release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
                      times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
                      that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
                      seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
                      ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
                      able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
                      between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
                      you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

                      Youngblood

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                      > More knots...
                      >
                      > I posted more knots today.
                      >
                      > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                      > Timber Hitch
                      > Farmer's Hitch
                      >
                      > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
                      > read.
                      >
                      > Rat
                    • Rat
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Youngblood,

                        Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
                        suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
                        Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
                        isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

                        Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
                        you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
                        on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
                        easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
                        Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
                        hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
                        Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
                        be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

                        I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
                        Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
                        wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
                        extreme tension.

                        Rat

                        > Rat,
                        >
                        > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                        > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                        > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                        > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
                        3
                        > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
                        loaded
                        > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
                        something...
                        > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
                        tarp
                        > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
                        being
                        > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
                        difference
                        > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
                        not
                        > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
                        >
                        > Youngblood
                      • Rat
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                          I also put up two more knots
                          The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                          and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                          Rat

                          P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                          me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                          kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                          put up bad knot info.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
                            Rat,

                            I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                            suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                            friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                            it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                            On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                            then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                            finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                            wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                            taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                            hitch with a slip loop.

                            Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                            preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                            for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                            ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                            ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                            comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                            the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                            Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                            for which knot to use in what condition.)

                            I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                            sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                            better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                            confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                            work you are doing.

                            Youngblood