Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knot photos in group's photo album

  • Ted Wagner
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 7 4:16 PM
      There's more than one? ;)

      I'll have to look!

      Ok, I found it. It was in hogn8r

      ;)

      These are great illustrations.

      Ted

      --- zippydooda <zippydooda@...> wrote:

      > which folder?
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner
      > <trwagner1@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Does anyone know who created the images of the
      > knot
      > > tying in the group's photo album?
      > >
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > > Ted
      > >
      > > See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless
      > carriage.
      > > http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html
      > >
      > > Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
      > > USMT --
      > http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org

      See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
      http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html

      Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
      USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 8 6:24 AM
        Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.

        Bill in Houston

        wrote:
        > There's more than one? ;)
        >
        > I'll have to look!
        >
        > Ok, I found it. It was in hogn8r
        >
        > ;)
        >
        > These are great illustrations.
        >
        > Ted
        >
        > --- zippydooda <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > which folder?
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ted Wagner
        > > <trwagner1@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Does anyone know who created the images of the
        > > knot
        > > > tying in the group's photo album?
        > > >
        > > > Thank you
        > > >
        > > > Ted
        > > >
        > > > See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless
        > > carriage.
        > > > http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html
        > > >
        > > > Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
        > > > USMT --
        > > http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
        > >

        > See my progress (albeit slow) on my horseless carriage.
        > http://www.trwagner.org/carriage/carriage.html
        >
        > Signal Corps: -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
        > USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9 4:01 AM
          Guilty as charged. I've been meaning to put up some more. Now maybe I
          have the motivation to get 'er done.

          Glad you liked them.

          > Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.
          >
          > Bill in Houston
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9 5:05 AM
            Any requests?

            I am going to put up the taughtline hitch, again (I screwed the first
            one up and deleted it). If you have a favorite wilderness knot you
            would like to see, I will post the pictures.

            Rat
          • Moz
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 9 5:14 AM
              Rat said:
              > Any requests?

              Put them somewhere that I don't have to create a yahoo id for and log
              in?

              Oh, knots... I'm always interested in new knots, would love to see
              yours.

              Butterfly, truckie, bowline and figure 8 are about all I ever use,
              plus my easy-tie variant on the Hennessy knot. But all of those on the
              web in one place would be useful. I'll put my variant up on my web
              pages tomorrow and post a link.

              Moz
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 9 7:03 AM
                People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
                place. Thanks for your work.

                I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
                butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.

                Bill in Houston

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                > Guilty as charged. I've been meaning to put up some more. Now maybe I
                > have the motivation to get 'er done.
                >
                > Glad you liked them.
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Ya, it's nice work, isn't it? Hogn8r is a member here.
                > >
                > > Bill in Houston
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 9 7:33 AM

                  > People like you are what makes the internet such a cool and useful
                  > place. Thanks for your work.
                  >
                  > I don't have any particular requests, although if you posted the
                  > butterfly knot (hitch wahtever) I would definitely refer to it.
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston

                  Cool, I will post the Butterfly and the Taughtline hitch tomorrow
                  (tonight for ya'll). I have never thought about putting them on my
                  website, I'm just learning how to do all that stuff, but that might be
                  kinda cool also.

                  Rat
                • Ted Wagner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 9 8:39 AM
                    Rat,

                    Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
                    for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
                    ;)

                    requests.... timber hitch

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 9 8:39 AM
                      Rat,

                      I had seen you knot photos a while back but just now tried the
                      highwayman knot. I like it... holds much better than the clove hitch
                      with quick release that I had been using to hang stuff sacks to my
                      hammock suspension rope.

                      Youngblood
                    • Rat
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 10 12:45 AM
                        Okay, a new collection, Knots by Rat,

                        y+Rat&.src=gr&.view=

                        Contains the following knots:
                        Bowline
                        Bowline Sailors Way
                        Butterfly
                        butterfly Sailors Way
                        Figure 8 on a Bight
                        Highwayman hitch
                        Mooring Hitch
                        Taughtline Hitch

                        Tomorrow I will put up a Truckers Hitch and Timber Hitch.

                        wrote:
                        > Rat,
                        >
                        > Great photos! I would suggest making a folder just
                        > for Knots in the photo album so they are easy to find.
                        > ;)
                        >
                        > requests.... timber hitch
                      • Rat
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 11 2:24 AM
                          More knots...

                          I posted more knots today.

                          Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                          Timber Hitch
                          Farmer's Hitch

                          I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier to
                          read.

                          Rat
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 11 5:29 AM
                            Rat,

                            I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                            looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                            similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                            release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about 3
                            times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is loaded
                            that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing something...
                            seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for tarp
                            ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know, being
                            able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the difference
                            between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or not
                            you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.

                            Youngblood

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

                            > More knots...
                            >
                            > I posted more knots today.
                            >
                            > Trucker's Hitch (with a knot variant)
                            > Timber Hitch
                            > Farmer's Hitch
                            >
                            > I will clean up the others also (the originals) to make them easier
                            > read.
                            >
                            > Rat
                          • Rat
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 11 7:32 AM
                              Youngblood,

                              Both the Exploding Clove hitch and the Slipped Bowline will work to
                              suspend a ridgeline or a Hammock. Although I wouldn't suspend my
                              Hammock with the Expl. Clove, it could work loose when the Hammock
                              isn't occupied. Then when you set/lay down in it it would dump you.

                              Both of these are difficult to untie when extremely loaded, like if
                              you are lying in the hammock for example. I just use the Expl. Clove
                              on my ridge line because it is quick and easy, and I think it is
                              easier to adjust the loop size before you cinch it down than the
                              Slipped Bowline. Plus it has double the holding power (double
                              hitched) than the Slipped Bowline. Of course you could always use a
                              Slipped Water Bowline to accomplish the same thing, but that would
                              be more difficult to tie and still be a beast to untie under a load.

                              I use the Expl. Clove on one end of my ridge line and a Trucker's
                              Hitch on the other. When I break camp I untie the Trucker's and
                              wimper the Expl. Clove, this way I never need to untie it under
                              extreme tension.

                              Rat

                              > Rat,
                              >
                              > I was looking at the Exploding Clove Hitch and tied it off. It
                              > looked to me that for hammockers, that it would be applicable for
                              > similar applications as the Bowline with a Slip Loop, or quick
                              > release ( http://www.junglehammock.com/tips.php & Page Down about
                              3
                              > times). But, I noticed that after the Exploding Clove Hitch is
                              loaded
                              > that it is much more difficult to untie. Am I missing
                              something...
                              > seems like either knot should have sufficient holding power for
                              tarp
                              > ridgelines or hammock suspension lines? Anyway, as you know,
                              being
                              > able to easily untie knots is important... sometimes the
                              difference
                              > between great gear and gear that is a piece of @#%& is whether or
                              not
                              > you can untie it from the trees in the morning <grin>.
                              >
                              > Youngblood
                            • Rat
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 11 7:37 AM
                                I also put up two more knots
                                The Driver's Hitch, a superior Trucker's Hitch, but still a Hitch.
                                and I rebuilt the Highwayman Hitch so it is easier to see and read.

                                Rat

                                P.S. If you see anything wrong with these knot instructions please let
                                me know. I have been known to mess 'em up in the past, JOAT usually
                                kept me in line tho. I just don't want some one to get hurt because I
                                put up bad knot info.
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 11 8:10 AM
                                  Rat,

                                  I've never had the Slipped Bowline give me any trouble on hammock
                                  suspension line or my ridgeline. I use a home make Speer with low
                                  friction, hollow braid poly line for the hammock suspension line and
                                  it easily slips the knot when it is unloaded.

                                  On my tarp ridgeline I use the Slipped Bowline for the first tree and
                                  then use Ed Speers Four Wrap Method on the second, smaller tree,
                                  finished off with 2 half hitches. The Four Wrap Method (or 2 or 3
                                  wraps if the tree is larger) allows me to tie it while the line is
                                  taut and is easy to untie, especially if you finish off the 2nd half
                                  hitch with a slip loop.

                                  Knots are kind of neat aren't they? You can't always use your
                                  preferred knots and need backup plans. If I don't have enough line
                                  for the Four Wrap Method I will use a Slipped Bowline for both tarp
                                  ridgelines and then work the Taut Line Knots that I use to attach the
                                  ridgeline to the tarp to get the tarp taut. The Four Wrap Method
                                  comes in handy when the spacing between trees isn't much more than
                                  the length of the tarp and in those cases I will use the Four Wrap
                                  Method for both knots. (I guess I'm using somewhat of a logic diagram
                                  for which knot to use in what condition.)

                                  I am switching to the Highwayman Hitch to suspend some of my stuff
                                  sacks to my hammock suspension line or tarp ridgeline. It holds
                                  better than the Slip Clove Hitch I was using and I have more
                                  confidence in it holding all night during high winds. Thanks for the
                                  work you are doing.

                                  Youngblood