Tarp knot

  • schrochem
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 7:33 AM
      For those of you that hang your tarp from the trees, what type of knot
      do you use? Also what type of cord and what's a good length? Anything
      wrong with just using triptease?
      Thanks
      Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 10:10 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
        wrote:

        > For those of you that hang your tarp from the trees, what type of
        knot
        > do you use? Also what type of cord and what's a good length?
        Anything
        > wrong with just using triptease?
        > Thanks
        > Scott
        Scott,

        TripTease works fine, tarp guyline is what it is for. Unlike nylon
        cord, it is very low stretch, which is a good thing. It is
        expensive, Ed Speer sells PulseLine by the foot(?) that costs a
        little
        less but is basically equivalent except it may be a little stronger
        and
        doesn't have the reflective characteristic of TripTease. I've bought
        the PulseLine at a local WestMarine boat supply store for about $25
        or
        so for a 125 foot spool. I've bought TripTease in the past for about
        $15 for a 50 foot length. I don't buy the TripTease anymore, I
        outfitted my last few tarps with the PulseLine. The TripTease and
        PulseLine cords are probably the ultimate ultralight cordage for
        silnylon tarps... very light weight, practically no stretch, plenty
        strong, low bulk and expensive <grin>.

        Bear mentioned he had problems with the TripTease holding a tautline
        hitch. I use it with a tautline hitch where I attach it to my tarps
        ridgeline tieout without problems, but I use 4 wraps instead of the
        standard 2 wraps when I form the tautline hitch to give it more
        holding
        power. The main thing to remember about the knots is that some of
        them
        you will want to untie in the morning after they have been under
        tension overnight. I try to finish the knots that I need to untie
        with
        a quick release and use a bowline or Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot finished
        with a couple of half hitches to attach to the trees... the 4 wrap
        knot
        allows me to tie it off under tension but it only works with smaller
        diameter trees because it takes more cordage. I use 12.5 foot cords
        for each ridgeline.

        Youngblood