Re: [Hammock Camping] Hang in the center?

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5 6:54 AM
      You should always hang the center of the hammock slightly to
      the left of the line between the trees. Okay, just kidding
      about that.

      The only factor I'm aware of is this: With a perfectly
      horizontal and centered pitch, one tends to slip towards the
      foot of the hammock. This is because your torso is heavier
      than your legs (your center of gravity is above the midpoint
      of your body). Soooo. Some people advocate hanging the foot
      slightly higher than the head, to help counter this
      slippage. That would mean, I think, pitching the head closer
      to a tree than the foot, for trees with a lot of distance
      between them.

      But, as always, you have to experiment and determine your
      own rules of hangage.

      Bear
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 7:12 AM
        No, no, no. What was I thinking. The foot would go closer to
        a tree than the head.

        Sorry, not enough coffee to think clearly yet.

        Bear

        > You should always hang the center of the hammock slightly
        > the left of the line between the trees. Okay, just kidding
        > about that.
        >
        > The only factor I'm aware of is this: With a perfectly
        > horizontal and centered pitch, one tends to slip towards
        > the
        > foot of the hammock. This is because your torso is heavier
        > than your legs (your center of gravity is above the
        > midpoint
        > of your body). Soooo. Some people advocate hanging the
        > foot
        > slightly higher than the head, to help counter this
        > slippage. That would mean, I think, pitching the head
        > closer
        > to a tree than the foot, for trees with a lot of distance
        > between them.
        >
        > But, as always, you have to experiment and determine your
        > own rules of hangage.
        >
        > Bear

      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 7:50 AM
          Yeah, exactly. Foot end a little closer to a tree, or just hung a
          little higher.

          Bill in Houston

          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
          > No, no, no. What was I thinking. The foot would go closer to
          > a tree than the head.
          >
          > Sorry, not enough coffee to think clearly yet.
          >
          > Bear

        • schrochem
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5 8:13 AM
            Thanks for the responses.
            Yes I definitely like the head end lower. I have a HH UL explorer and
            it says 13-26'between trees. I understand this is all by feel but I
            usually don't know until I am well into a slumber. I noticed in
            Mirage's photo folder, pic "Hammock between far trees" that is quite a
            bit offset. Is this in just the extreme cases of distance, say 20-26'
            for me?
            Thanks again,
            Scott

            > Yeah, exactly. Foot end a little closer to a tree, or just hung a
            > little higher.
            >
            > Bill in Houston
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 10:18 AM
              Ya, that picture is referring to a whole different concept.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>