Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hanging hammock

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 11:42 AM
      Thanks for the responses
      Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
      Scott

      On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
      > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
      > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
      > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
      > > Am I missing something?
      > > Scott
      >
      > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
      > jacket) and the
      > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
      > it off.
      >
      > -Howie
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 1:50 PM
        wrote:
        > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
        > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
        beener
        > to the loops in a tree hugger?
        > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
        > Am I missing something?
        > Scott

        Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
        loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

        For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
        Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
        ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
        in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
        them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
        day hikes for speed and security.

        Doug Frost
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5 10:54 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
          wrote:
          > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
          > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
          1.25
          > ounces each.

          Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

          Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
          http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

          Trango Superfly 1.06oz
          http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161