Re: Hanging hammock

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:

      > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
      > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
      > to the loops in a tree hugger?
      > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
      > Am I missing something?
      > Scott

      I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no jacket) and the
      prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut it off.

      -Howie
    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
        Thanks for the responses
        Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
        Scott

        On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
        > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
        > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
        > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
        > > Am I missing something?
        > > Scott
        >
        > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
        > jacket) and the
        > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
        > it off.
        >
        > -Howie
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
          wrote:
          > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
          > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
          beener
          > to the loops in a tree hugger?
          > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
          > Am I missing something?
          > Scott

          Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
          loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

          For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
          Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
          ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
          in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
          them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
          day hikes for speed and security.

          Doug Frost
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
            wrote:
            > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
            > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
            1.25
            > ounces each.

            Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

            Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
            http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

            Trango Superfly 1.06oz
            http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161