Re: [Hammock Camping Hike]

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
      Hi Ed, Dave, and others,

      The Benton Mackaye Trail is said to be finished (well
      some of it seems to still need blazes). There might
      be some interest in an organized (haha)
      "hammockcamping" group hike. Do the new center part
      (90 miles or so) or maybe a complete Thru-Hike of all
      290 miles of it? The maps for the center section are
      on the BMTA web site and I have the route through the
      GSMNP that is supposed to be the approved route.

      It might make a good "4th of July" week event.

      Bill in Texas

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
        Bill, the new section of the BMT sure is tempting. Dave has recently been
        on it again, but I haven't. I have an outdoor show the week of 4th of July
        (ATC meeting in TN), so maybe another time..Ed

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:

          > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
          > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
          > to the loops in a tree hugger?
          > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
          > Am I missing something?
          > Scott

          I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no jacket) and the
          prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut it off.

          -Howie
        • Scott Schroeder
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
            Thanks for the responses
            Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
            Scott

            On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
            > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
            > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
            > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
            > > Am I missing something?
            > > Scott
            >
            > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
            > jacket) and the
            > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
            > it off.
            >
            > -Howie
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
              wrote:
              > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
              > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
              beener
              > to the loops in a tree hugger?
              > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
              > Am I missing something?
              > Scott

              Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
              loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

              For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
              Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
              ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
              in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
              them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
              day hikes for speed and security.

              Doug Frost
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                wrote:
                > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
                1.25
                > ounces each.

                Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

                Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
                http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

                Trango Superfly 1.06oz
                http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161