Re: Hanging hammock

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2 12:07 PM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
      wrote:

      > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
      > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
      beener
      > to the loops in a tree hugger?
      > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
      > Am I missing something?
      > Scott

      Scott,

      In principle that will work. In practice you have to trust that the
      knot won't slip during the night... remember that the loading on the
      hammock suspension lines are often higher than the occupants weight.

      Youngblood
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2 12:51 PM
        Hi Ed, Dave, and others,

        The Benton Mackaye Trail is said to be finished (well
        some of it seems to still need blazes). There might
        be some interest in an organized (haha)
        "hammockcamping" group hike. Do the new center part
        (90 miles or so) or maybe a complete Thru-Hike of all
        290 miles of it? The maps for the center section are
        on the BMTA web site and I have the route through the
        GSMNP that is supposed to be the approved route.

        It might make a good "4th of July" week event.

        Bill in Texas

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 5:13 AM
          Bill, the new section of the BMT sure is tempting. Dave has recently been
          on it again, but I haven't. I have an outdoor show the week of 4th of July
          (ATC meeting in TN), so maybe another time..Ed

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 8:47 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:

            > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
            > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
            > to the loops in a tree hugger?
            > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
            > Am I missing something?
            > Scott

            I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no jacket) and the
            prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut it off.

            -Howie
          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 11:42 AM
              Thanks for the responses
              Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
              Scott

              On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
              > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
              > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
              > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
              > > Am I missing something?
              > > Scott
              >
              > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
              > jacket) and the
              > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
              > it off.
              >
              > -Howie
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4 1:50 PM
                wrote:
                > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
                > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
                beener
                > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                > Am I missing something?
                > Scott

                Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
                loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

                For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
                ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
                in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
                them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
                day hikes for speed and security.

                Doug Frost
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 10:54 AM
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                  wrote:
                  > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                  > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
                  1.25
                  > ounces each.

                  Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

                  Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
                  http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

                  Trango Superfly 1.06oz
                  http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161