Re: Hanging hammock

  • jmellis01
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
      wrote:

      > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic
      knot to
      > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
      beener
      > to the loops in a tree hugger?
      > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
      > Am I missing something?
      > Scott
      Hi Scott,
      I tried it for a while and here's some of the problems I had:
      The knots tended to slip enough to let the hammock sag over the span
      of the night (the crazy figure 8 wrap knot does not). Not sure if
      it was the knot or the person tying it (probably the latter).
      The other problem I had was the span between the trees. I
      tried to just tie a prussic toward the end of the each rope and
      hopefully have enough adjustment. I ended up finding good hanging
      trees that were too close together to need all the adjustment. I
      ended up having to retie the prussic closer to the middle of the
      support rope to take up the extra length. This process ended up
      taking just as long as just tying knots directly to the tree huggers.
      I did find this to be a really handy setup if you were setting
      up under a fixed tarp. You can just unclip one end of the hammock
      and move it out of the way for cooking dinner, sitting around, etc.
      Then you just reclip it when you're ready for bed, adjust the knots
      a bit, and you're set.

      just my $.02
      John
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
        wrote:

        > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
        > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
        beener
        > to the loops in a tree hugger?
        > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
        > Am I missing something?
        > Scott

        Scott,

        In principle that will work. In practice you have to trust that the
        knot won't slip during the night... remember that the loading on the
        hammock suspension lines are often higher than the occupants weight.

        Youngblood
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hi Ed, Dave, and others,

          The Benton Mackaye Trail is said to be finished (well
          some of it seems to still need blazes). There might
          be some interest in an organized (haha)
          "hammockcamping" group hike. Do the new center part
          (90 miles or so) or maybe a complete Thru-Hike of all
          290 miles of it? The maps for the center section are
          on the BMTA web site and I have the route through the
          GSMNP that is supposed to be the approved route.

          It might make a good "4th of July" week event.

          Bill in Texas

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
            Bill, the new section of the BMT sure is tempting. Dave has recently been
            on it again, but I haven't. I have an outdoor show the week of 4th of July
            (ATC meeting in TN), so maybe another time..Ed

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:

              > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
              > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
              > to the loops in a tree hugger?
              > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
              > Am I missing something?
              > Scott

              I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no jacket) and the
              prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut it off.

              -Howie
            • Scott Schroeder
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
                Thanks for the responses
                Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
                Scott

                On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
                > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
                > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                > > Am I missing something?
                > > Scott
                >
                > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
                > jacket) and the
                > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
                > it off.
                >
                > -Howie
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
                  > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
                  beener
                  > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                  > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                  > Am I missing something?
                  > Scott

                  Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
                  loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

                  For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                  Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
                  ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
                  in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
                  them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
                  day hikes for speed and security.

                  Doug Frost
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                    wrote:
                    > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                    > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
                    1.25
                    > ounces each.

                    Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

                    Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
                    http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

                    Trango Superfly 1.06oz
                    http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161