Re: colder weather hammocking

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2003
      > wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
      > Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
      > really help all that much?

      Forget the windshield pad. For the same weight, I would bring a
      large plastic bag and a 'space blanket' to use as insulation between
      the poncho and the bottom of the hammock. (crinkle up the space
      blanket well, then fold it lightly over itself to create a ~30" wide
      x 60" long blanket about 4"-5" thick. You should get about 5 layers
      of space blanket. Put this into the plastic bag, trap a little air
      and seal it with a twist tie or thick rubber band.)

      If you use this configuration and can pull the poncho up so the
      insulation just touches the hammock bottom, you won't get cold from
      underneath.