Hanging hammock

  • schrochem
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
      Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
      the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
      to the loops in a tree hugger?
      That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
      Am I missing something?
      Scott
    • jmellis01
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...>
        wrote:

        > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic
        knot to
        > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
        beener
        > to the loops in a tree hugger?
        > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
        > Am I missing something?
        > Scott
        Hi Scott,
        I tried it for a while and here's some of the problems I had:
        The knots tended to slip enough to let the hammock sag over the span
        of the night (the crazy figure 8 wrap knot does not). Not sure if
        it was the knot or the person tying it (probably the latter).
        The other problem I had was the span between the trees. I
        tried to just tie a prussic toward the end of the each rope and
        hopefully have enough adjustment. I ended up finding good hanging
        trees that were too close together to need all the adjustment. I
        ended up having to retie the prussic closer to the middle of the
        support rope to take up the extra length. This process ended up
        taking just as long as just tying knots directly to the tree huggers.
        I did find this to be a really handy setup if you were setting
        up under a fixed tarp. You can just unclip one end of the hammock
        and move it out of the way for cooking dinner, sitting around, etc.
        Then you just reclip it when you're ready for bed, adjust the knots
        a bit, and you're set.

        just my $.02
        John
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
          wrote:

          > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
          > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
          beener
          > to the loops in a tree hugger?
          > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
          > Am I missing something?
          > Scott

          Scott,

          In principle that will work. In practice you have to trust that the
          knot won't slip during the night... remember that the loading on the
          hammock suspension lines are often higher than the occupants weight.

          Youngblood
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
            Hi Ed, Dave, and others,

            The Benton Mackaye Trail is said to be finished (well
            some of it seems to still need blazes). There might
            be some interest in an organized (haha)
            "hammockcamping" group hike. Do the new center part
            (90 miles or so) or maybe a complete Thru-Hike of all
            290 miles of it? The maps for the center section are
            on the BMTA web site and I have the route through the
            GSMNP that is supposed to be the approved route.

            It might make a good "4th of July" week event.

            Bill in Texas

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
              Bill, the new section of the BMT sure is tempting. Dave has recently been
              on it again, but I haven't. I have an outdoor show the week of 4th of July
              (ATC meeting in TN), so maybe another time..Ed

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:

                > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
                > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
                > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                > Am I missing something?
                > Scott

                I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no jacket) and the
                prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut it off.

                -Howie
              • Scott Schroeder
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Thanks for the responses
                  Howie any progress on your fast setup technique I read on whiteblaze?
                  Scott

                  On Apr 4, 2005 10:47 AM, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem" <schrochem@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot to
                  > > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the beener
                  > > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                  > > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                  > > Am I missing something?
                  > > Scott
                  >
                  > I also tried this. I use braided cord for my suspension line (meaning no
                  > jacket) and the
                  > prussic gripped the line so tightly it was impossibe to move. I had to cut
                  > it off.
                  >
                  > -Howie
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > Any reason setup could be made a bit faster by tying a prussic knot
                    > the suspension line then clip a carbineener to it then clip the
                    beener
                    > to the loops in a tree hugger?
                    > That way you could make quick adjustments by sliding the prussic.
                    > Am I missing something?
                    > Scott

                    Like the others said, the knot will creep over time when heavily
                    loaded. They're not meant for long term holding.

                    For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                    Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs 1.25
                    ounces each. Online stores show em in silver, but I got mine locally
                    in both hard-to-loose gold and stealthy smoke colors. I don't use
                    them for camping to save weight, but I do take them with a hammock on
                    day hikes for speed and security.

                    Doug Frost
                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                      wrote:
                      > For everyone's reference: The lightest carabiner I know of is the
                      > Black Diamond Neutrino, an offset-D wire gate 'biner that weighs
                      1.25
                      > ounces each.

                      Yea, well, guess again... A kindly fellow emailed two lighter ones:

                      Camp Nano Wire 0.99oz
                      http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP450

                      Trango Superfly 1.06oz
                      http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/TRN161