Re: Ridge lines for tarps??

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
      Jack,

      Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
      The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.

      Cheers,

      Steve

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
      wrote:

      > Steve ,
      >
      > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
      knots
      > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
      perfect...bonus
      > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
      >
      > jack
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
      wrote:

      > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering
      my
      > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
      attached
      > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
      attach
      > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
      the
      > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Steve
    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
        Steve,

        The set up I use, FWIW, is a 9 foot 2mm highly flexible accessory
        cord on each corner, about 1 oz total for the 4 cords...Routinely, I
        do not use a ridge line....one, less weight...two, althought others
        write of using ridge lines for years without wear, I believe daily
        use for 6 months is less than ideal for wear....Three, if I want to
        dry something I place it over the Hammock ridgline, spread over the
        bug screen ( HH), this doubles the surface exposed to air of normal
        hanging ( note, with poly pro clothes, the water in an item drains
        to the lowest point, so periodic removal and wringing out or
        squeezing this gathering water speed the drying).... Four, I know
        that 9 feet is a long side cord...but ... I have found that 60 % of
        the time its length lets me tie off to a convient tree/bush etc.

        Beside the weight of the ridge cord, my comment was primarily about
        the two mini biners you mentioned in your set-up.

        To all who ask, Why 9 ft and not 10? Personal experience, this is
        what works for me...and meets my philosophy of reduce to what works
        but don't sacrifice comfort and reasonable convience.

        BTW, my bear bag uses this same type cord and has been reduced to 32
        feet....it gets hung every night without fail...and 32 feet has
        never proved to short. ( Less than 1 oz compared to 5+ oz for 50
        feet of para cord routinely used).

        Are you coming to Trail Days?

        Jack, aka Peter_pan

        wrote:

        > Jack,
        >
        > Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
        > The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Steve ,
        > >
        > > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
        > knots
        > > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
        > perfect...bonus
        > > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
        > >
        > > jack
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem
        centering
        > my
        > > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
        > attached
        > > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
        > attach
        > > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
        > the
        > > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make
        adjustments.

        > > > Cheers,
        > > >
        > > > Steve
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
          Jack,

          Great minds think alike, (and so do ours). I use 9' corner cords
          also; because it works for me and it's easy for me to measure with
          my 6'arm spread. I use braided mason twine for the tieouts, very
          light and strong enough. If something gives I would rather the line
          break than have the tarp rip. I also use mason twine to hang my food
          bag.

          When I was Hennessy hanger (that's a whole other subject)I didn't
          use a separate ridgeline either. Now with my side entry hammock I
          use the ridgeline for ease of adjusting the set and for hanging
          gear. At a 1/4oz each the ease of use make the mini biners well
          worth the weight (for me). I also use two of them to hold my pad in
          place. Total weight; 10' hammock, full netting, stakes, corner
          lines, 4 mini biners, ridgeline and 8' x 10' tarp = 40 oz of luxury.
          If the weather forecast is really good I'll use a 9' x 5' tarp and
          save 6 oz.

          Cheers,

          Steve

          PS - Can't make Trail Days.

        • ptoddf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
            Excellent comments, thanks to all. Amazing how much there is to flesh out in
            this one very
            specialized subject. Here's another point, if this duplicates earlier
            posting, I didn't see it:

            What I am doing this year with my open, aka "side entry" hammock, is use a
            ridge line below my MacCat tarp as described, but I'm also using snakeskins on
            the tarp only.

            What this means is I can put up my tarp in skins, with ridge line outside
            and below the skins, and have a "thick rope" only overhead, with gear in
            silnylon stuff sacks and items like sandals just hanging on hooks on the line. This
            means almost unblocked sky and star viewing, very important to me.

            If weather moves in, I can unskin and stake out tarp in seconds. I won't
            hang any sacks right over my head area, but hang them closer to the foot end to
            keep a nearly clear view. I'm using the HH skins that I never liked or used
            with that hammock. I put 10 foot lines on the new config, to see how that
            does. Drilled holes in 4 of the aluminum Y stakes so they're captive on the
            lines, can't get lost. Gettin' there!

            Best, Todd in Tarzana.