Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Ridge lines for tarps??

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2005
      I agree with what Todd has said so well. Having a line under a tarp is
      very useful. However, the way I do this is to sew an extra loop at each
      end of the ridge line. At each end, I have one loop facing toward the
      tree to which I attach the suspension line. However I also sew a loop
      under the tarp facing the opposite direction. Once the tarp is set up,
      I tie a cord from one end of the tarp to the other. I do not usually
      remove this cord to pack up the tarp. The tarp now has its own integral
      ridge line.

      This was a feature of a Jardine like tarp that I made from directions
      found on the Internet 3 years ago. It has worked very well. I use the
      ridge line as a place to hang my glasses, and a place to hang my
      headlamp. When I fold half the tarp back for nice weather, to the left
      side or the right side, I still have the full ridge line available to
      hang socks to dry.

      A photo of this can be seen in the 4th and 5th pictures here:

      http://www.imrisk.com/bwca03/bwca03.htm

      Risk

      ptoddf@... wrote:

      >Big advantage of ridge line under the tarp is for hanging gear and gear
      >bags. Very effective. I use one on my MacCat hammock tarp, which doesn't need a
      >ridge line, just for that.
      >I don't much like ridge lines for the hammock, like the one that
      >standardizes the hang for Hennessey hammocks. It's part of their integrated design, and
      >a beautiful job that is.
      >
      >For open hammock with no ridge line, the line for the tarp does the overhead
      >clothesline type job. I never leave the trail head without one.
      >
      >Best, Todd in Tarzana.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 26, 2005
        With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering my
        tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with attached
        mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I attach
        the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide the
        knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.

        Cheers,

        Steve
      • jack_tier
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26, 2005
          Steve ,

          Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip knots
          generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is perfect...bonus
          is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.

          jack

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...> wrote:

          > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering my
          > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with attached
          > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I attach
          > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide the
          > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Steve
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
            Jack,

            Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
            The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.

            Cheers,

            Steve

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
            wrote:

            > Steve ,
            >
            > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
            knots
            > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
            perfect...bonus
            > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
            >
            > jack
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
            wrote:

            > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering
            my
            > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
            attached
            > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
            attach
            > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
            the
            > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Steve
          • jack_tier
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
              Steve,

              The set up I use, FWIW, is a 9 foot 2mm highly flexible accessory
              cord on each corner, about 1 oz total for the 4 cords...Routinely, I
              do not use a ridge line....one, less weight...two, althought others
              write of using ridge lines for years without wear, I believe daily
              use for 6 months is less than ideal for wear....Three, if I want to
              dry something I place it over the Hammock ridgline, spread over the
              bug screen ( HH), this doubles the surface exposed to air of normal
              hanging ( note, with poly pro clothes, the water in an item drains
              to the lowest point, so periodic removal and wringing out or
              squeezing this gathering water speed the drying).... Four, I know
              that 9 feet is a long side cord...but ... I have found that 60 % of
              the time its length lets me tie off to a convient tree/bush etc.

              Beside the weight of the ridge cord, my comment was primarily about
              the two mini biners you mentioned in your set-up.

              To all who ask, Why 9 ft and not 10? Personal experience, this is
              what works for me...and meets my philosophy of reduce to what works
              but don't sacrifice comfort and reasonable convience.

              BTW, my bear bag uses this same type cord and has been reduced to 32
              feet....it gets hung every night without fail...and 32 feet has
              never proved to short. ( Less than 1 oz compared to 5+ oz for 50
              feet of para cord routinely used).

              Are you coming to Trail Days?

              Jack, aka Peter_pan

              wrote:

              > Jack,
              >
              > Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
              > The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve ,
              > >
              > > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
              > knots
              > > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
              > perfect...bonus
              > > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
              > >
              > > jack
              > >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem
              centering
              > my
              > > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
              > attached
              > > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
              > attach
              > > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
              > the
              > > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make
              adjustments.

              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Steve
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
                Jack,

                Great minds think alike, (and so do ours). I use 9' corner cords
                also; because it works for me and it's easy for me to measure with
                my 6'arm spread. I use braided mason twine for the tieouts, very
                light and strong enough. If something gives I would rather the line
                break than have the tarp rip. I also use mason twine to hang my food
                bag.

                When I was Hennessy hanger (that's a whole other subject)I didn't
                use a separate ridgeline either. Now with my side entry hammock I
                use the ridgeline for ease of adjusting the set and for hanging
                gear. At a 1/4oz each the ease of use make the mini biners well
                worth the weight (for me). I also use two of them to hold my pad in
                place. Total weight; 10' hammock, full netting, stakes, corner
                lines, 4 mini biners, ridgeline and 8' x 10' tarp = 40 oz of luxury.
                If the weather forecast is really good I'll use a 9' x 5' tarp and
                save 6 oz.

                Cheers,

                Steve

                PS - Can't make Trail Days.

              • ptoddf@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
                  Excellent comments, thanks to all. Amazing how much there is to flesh out in
                  this one very
                  specialized subject. Here's another point, if this duplicates earlier
                  posting, I didn't see it:

                  What I am doing this year with my open, aka "side entry" hammock, is use a
                  ridge line below my MacCat tarp as described, but I'm also using snakeskins on
                  the tarp only.

                  What this means is I can put up my tarp in skins, with ridge line outside
                  and below the skins, and have a "thick rope" only overhead, with gear in
                  silnylon stuff sacks and items like sandals just hanging on hooks on the line. This
                  means almost unblocked sky and star viewing, very important to me.

                  If weather moves in, I can unskin and stake out tarp in seconds. I won't
                  hang any sacks right over my head area, but hang them closer to the foot end to
                  keep a nearly clear view. I'm using the HH skins that I never liked or used
                  with that hammock. I put 10 foot lines on the new config, to see how that
                  does. Drilled holes in 4 of the aluminum Y stakes so they're captive on the
                  lines, can't get lost. Gettin' there!

                  Best, Todd in Tarzana.