Re: Alternative Hanging Methods?

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
      Mirage wrote:
      >I've tried it with trekking poles, but even fully extended, they were
      >too short to work for me. I used two poles at one end, in an inverted
      >"v" or aframe with the handles lashed together with the hammock line,
      >extending down to an anchor point. The other end was tied to a tree.
      > There was alot of stress on the poles too, and I would not want to do
      >this with expandable poles due to the risk of failure, either while
      >sleeping, or on the trail. If you have a stout staff, I expect this
      >would be more dual purpose.

      Don't do it with adjustable trekking poles. I tried it last summer with my
      adjustable Komperdells and the stress was too much. Good thing Komperdell
      sells replacement sections!

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • beentomadrid
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg"
        <docteric@y...> wrote:

        > For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
        > staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
        > inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
        > pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the
        first
        > stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
        > from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
        > Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.

        Although it may not be totally environmentally friendly in some
        locations you might use the same technique used in sand or snow.
        That is to bury a stick crossways in a hole with your rope around it.
        That should do the trick. It's a very strong method. I saw a
        hammock set up that way with 1 and 2 poles on one of these sites (Sgt
        Rock's perhaps? in Iraq).

        Doug Campbell