Ridge lines for tarps??

  • Steve Sells
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24 1:24 PM
      I have in the past used silnylon tarps with tie-out sewn around the
      edges and tied these to the ridge line. I was wondering if anyone
      uses the practice of just throwing a tarp over a ridge line. I was
      thinking maybe way to much abrasion??? Thanks Twodogs
    • ptoddf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25 9:36 PM
        Big advantage of ridge line under the tarp is for hanging gear and gear
        bags. Very effective. I use one on my MacCat hammock tarp, which doesn't need a
        ridge line, just for that.
        I don't much like ridge lines for the hammock, like the one that
        standardizes the hang for Hennessey hammocks. It's part of their integrated design, and
        a beautiful job that is.

        For open hammock with no ridge line, the line for the tarp does the overhead
        clothesline type job. I never leave the trail head without one.

        Best, Todd in Tarzana.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26 2:59 AM
          I agree with what Todd has said so well. Having a line under a tarp is
          very useful. However, the way I do this is to sew an extra loop at each
          end of the ridge line. At each end, I have one loop facing toward the
          tree to which I attach the suspension line. However I also sew a loop
          under the tarp facing the opposite direction. Once the tarp is set up,
          I tie a cord from one end of the tarp to the other. I do not usually
          remove this cord to pack up the tarp. The tarp now has its own integral
          ridge line.

          This was a feature of a Jardine like tarp that I made from directions
          found on the Internet 3 years ago. It has worked very well. I use the
          ridge line as a place to hang my glasses, and a place to hang my
          headlamp. When I fold half the tarp back for nice weather, to the left
          side or the right side, I still have the full ridge line available to
          hang socks to dry.

          A photo of this can be seen in the 4th and 5th pictures here:

          http://www.imrisk.com/bwca03/bwca03.htm

          Risk

          ptoddf@... wrote:

          >Big advantage of ridge line under the tarp is for hanging gear and gear
          >bags. Very effective. I use one on my MacCat hammock tarp, which doesn't need a
          >ridge line, just for that.
          >I don't much like ridge lines for the hammock, like the one that
          >standardizes the hang for Hennessey hammocks. It's part of their integrated design, and
          >a beautiful job that is.
          >
          >For open hammock with no ridge line, the line for the tarp does the overhead
          >clothesline type job. I never leave the trail head without one.
          >
          >Best, Todd in Tarzana.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26 9:53 AM
            With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering my
            tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with attached
            mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I attach
            the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide the
            knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.

            Cheers,

            Steve
          • jack_tier
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26 4:57 PM
              Steve ,

              Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip knots
              generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is perfect...bonus
              is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.

              jack

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...> wrote:

              > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering my
              > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with attached
              > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I attach
              > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide the
              > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Steve
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27 5:37 AM
                Jack,

                Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
                The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.

                Cheers,

                Steve

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                wrote:

                > Steve ,
                >
                > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
                knots
                > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
                perfect...bonus
                > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
                >
                > jack
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
                wrote:

                > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem centering
                my
                > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
                attached
                > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
                attach
                > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
                the
                > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make adjustments.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Steve
              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28 6:29 AM
                  Steve,

                  The set up I use, FWIW, is a 9 foot 2mm highly flexible accessory
                  cord on each corner, about 1 oz total for the 4 cords...Routinely, I
                  do not use a ridge line....one, less weight...two, althought others
                  write of using ridge lines for years without wear, I believe daily
                  use for 6 months is less than ideal for wear....Three, if I want to
                  dry something I place it over the Hammock ridgline, spread over the
                  bug screen ( HH), this doubles the surface exposed to air of normal
                  hanging ( note, with poly pro clothes, the water in an item drains
                  to the lowest point, so periodic removal and wringing out or
                  squeezing this gathering water speed the drying).... Four, I know
                  that 9 feet is a long side cord...but ... I have found that 60 % of
                  the time its length lets me tie off to a convient tree/bush etc.

                  Beside the weight of the ridge cord, my comment was primarily about
                  the two mini biners you mentioned in your set-up.

                  To all who ask, Why 9 ft and not 10? Personal experience, this is
                  what works for me...and meets my philosophy of reduce to what works
                  but don't sacrifice comfort and reasonable convience.

                  BTW, my bear bag uses this same type cord and has been reduced to 32
                  feet....it gets hung every night without fail...and 32 feet has
                  never proved to short. ( Less than 1 oz compared to 5+ oz for 50
                  feet of para cord routinely used).

                  Are you coming to Trail Days?

                  Jack, aka Peter_pan

                  wrote:

                  > Jack,
                  >
                  > Did you mean using a line at each end of the tarp and no ridgeline?
                  > The extra weight is minimal if using a ridgeline.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Steve ,
                  > >
                  > > Good idea....little extra wgt though....alternatively tying slip
                  > knots
                  > > generally takes two, 10 second adjustments then it is
                  > perfect...bonus
                  > > is the slip knots pop right out in the morning for teardown.
                  > >
                  > > jack
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@n...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > With or without a ridgeline I've always had a problem
                  centering
                  > my
                  > > > tarp. Now I use a ridgeline with 2 facing prusik knots with
                  > attached
                  > > > mini carabineers. After tying and tensioning the ridgeline I
                  > attach
                  > > > the tarp to the mini carabineers, then it's very easy to slide
                  > the
                  > > > knots to center and tension the ridgeline and to make
                  adjustments.

                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28 10:01 AM
                    Jack,

                    Great minds think alike, (and so do ours). I use 9' corner cords
                    also; because it works for me and it's easy for me to measure with
                    my 6'arm spread. I use braided mason twine for the tieouts, very
                    light and strong enough. If something gives I would rather the line
                    break than have the tarp rip. I also use mason twine to hang my food
                    bag.

                    When I was Hennessy hanger (that's a whole other subject)I didn't
                    use a separate ridgeline either. Now with my side entry hammock I
                    use the ridgeline for ease of adjusting the set and for hanging
                    gear. At a 1/4oz each the ease of use make the mini biners well
                    worth the weight (for me). I also use two of them to hold my pad in
                    place. Total weight; 10' hammock, full netting, stakes, corner
                    lines, 4 mini biners, ridgeline and 8' x 10' tarp = 40 oz of luxury.
                    If the weather forecast is really good I'll use a 9' x 5' tarp and
                    save 6 oz.

                    Cheers,

                    Steve

                    PS - Can't make Trail Days.

                  • ptoddf@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 28 9:43 PM
                      Excellent comments, thanks to all. Amazing how much there is to flesh out in
                      this one very
                      specialized subject. Here's another point, if this duplicates earlier
                      posting, I didn't see it:

                      What I am doing this year with my open, aka "side entry" hammock, is use a
                      ridge line below my MacCat tarp as described, but I'm also using snakeskins on
                      the tarp only.

                      What this means is I can put up my tarp in skins, with ridge line outside
                      and below the skins, and have a "thick rope" only overhead, with gear in
                      silnylon stuff sacks and items like sandals just hanging on hooks on the line. This
                      means almost unblocked sky and star viewing, very important to me.

                      If weather moves in, I can unskin and stake out tarp in seconds. I won't
                      hang any sacks right over my head area, but hang them closer to the foot end to
                      keep a nearly clear view. I'm using the HH skins that I never liked or used
                      with that hammock. I put 10 foot lines on the new config, to see how that
                      does. Drilled holes in 4 of the aluminum Y stakes so they're captive on the
                      lines, can't get lost. Gettin' there!

                      Best, Todd in Tarzana.