Snake skins

  • Michael Reagan
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2003
      I wonder if keeping the hammock in the snake skins for long term storage would have any detrimental effect? I am assuming of course that the hammock is dry and clean. Do you all "unskin" your hammocks when you store them? Do you have any other tips for prolonging the life of your hammock?

      Thanks,
      Michael
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2003
        > I wonder if keeping the hammock in the snake skins for
        > long term storage would have any detrimental effect? I am
        > assuming of course that the hammock is dry and clean. Do
        > you all "unskin" your hammocks when you store them? Do you
        > have any other tips for prolonging the life of your
        > hammock?

        For long term storage, I have always cleaned, dried, then rolled my hammocks
        up. The Snakeskins actually seem to do this, and I wouldn't have a problem
        storing my hammocks long term in the Snakeskins, even rolled into a large
        coil. I have other hammocks that I have kept in stuff sacks for years with
        no detrimental effects.

        Shane
      • starnescr
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2003
          Micheal

          You pretty much nailed it with clan and dry. I can't see any way to
          damage the hammock storing it inside the snakeskin for long term
          storage as long as it is dry (unlike a sleeping bag) . If it were
          raining or lots or dew was on the hammock when I last put it away on
          a trip I would probably pull the snakeskin in a wad just under the
          fly and reattach the fly past this point at both ends, then pull the
          snake skin on the hammock body only. Then the first sunny day I had
          time I would rehang the hammock a few hours and put back up with the
          snake skin over everything. I only recently got hammocks with
          snakeskins and they both belong to my kids. Plus I'm in the middle
          of testing a Crazy Crib LEX for BackpackGearTester so I have not
          really had much oppertunity to play with the snakeskins.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Reagan"
          <eremitike@e...> wrote:
          > I wonder if keeping the hammock in the snake skins for long term
          storage would have any detrimental effect? I am assuming of course
          that the hammock is dry and clean. Do you all "unskin" your hammocks
          when you store them? Do you have any other tips for prolonging the
          life of your hammock?

          > Thanks,
          > Michael
        • archidaveture
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 7, 2006
            What is the purpose of Snake Skins, I think thats what they are
            refered to as....(small tube like pieces of material, that can be
            drawn over the hammock when not in use and not hung). Hammock Package
            or something?? Doesnt that just add extra weight? Or do you find them
            helpful in keeping the hammock tangle free? are they worth the extra
            weight?

            David
          • chainringmd5500
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 7, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
              <archidaveture@...> wrote:

              > What is the purpose of Snake Skins, I think thats what they are
              > refered to as....(small tube like pieces of material, that can be
              > drawn over the hammock when not in use and not hung). Hammock Package
              > or something?? Doesnt that just add extra weight? Or do you find them
              > helpful in keeping the hammock tangle free? are they worth the extra
              > weight?
              >
              > David

              Snake skins are one of the neatest items to come down the taut line
              since sil-nylon stuff sacks. The allow the user to slide the skin from
              each end at take down time, and compress all the fabric and lines into
              one compact line. this slithers down into the backpack, or stuff sack
              for neater packing. On wet mornings it keeps much of the moisture from
              anything touching inside the bag. On set up it allows one to use the
              hammock as a measuring line until the right distance is found between
              trees, without dragging hammock material over the entire area.
            • bill.joyce24
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
                I was just thinking instead of using snake skins on your tarp or hammock what about just using
                velcro strips.
              • Dutch Unlimited
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
                  I just use some strings, mostly already (semi) attached for other
                  purposes.... No need to add velcro and the piece of cord can double
                  function. Anywhere between 1 and 3 pieces of about 8-10 inches.

                  Anybody need/want my snakeskins? ;-)

                  Grtz Johan

                  --
                  Met vriendelijke groet,
                  Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

                  Johan van Dijk
                  +31 6 44 80 82 63
                  -
                  Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
                  Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
                  ING banknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
                  KvK Naaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
                  Op al onze opdrachten zijn onze algemene voorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
                  vind je op www.dutchunlimited.com

                • Arye P. R.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
                    if you are not using a permanently attached ridge-line you can twist the hammock
                    like a twisted rope and eliminate the need for wraps, snakeskins etc

                    if you dont want to buy/make wraps, snakeskins etc try womenshose and cut open
                    the toe.

                    SapereAude,

                    Arye P. Rubenstein

                    ________________________________

                    --
                    Met vriendelijkegroet,
                    Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

                    Johan van Dijk
                    +31 6 44 80 82 63
                    -
                    Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
                    Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
                    INGbanknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
                    KvKNaaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
                    Op alonzeopdrachtenzijnonzealgemenevoorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
                    vindje op www.dutchunlimited.com

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                      Anyone make a hammock from tyvek? If so, how did it hold up?

                      CL
                    • Aris Dennis
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                        I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?

                        Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?

                        ________________________________

                      • ed@speerhammocks.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                          Hi Ariz....I hope to be online here a lot more now that my time has freed up a bit. My thanks to everyone who has posted lately.

                          From: Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...>
                          Sender: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:33:26
                          To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek hammock?

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                            In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                            condensation puddles under you.

                            It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                            On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                            that you use to block weeds etc.

                            It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.

                            Ralph
                            On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...> wrote:

                            > I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?
                            >
                            > Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                              OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...

                              CL

                              Ralph Oborn wrote:
                              > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                            • Ralph Oborn
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                                On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>wrote:

                                > OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...
                                >
                                > CL

                                As I get older it appears that water seems to pass right through me. :]

                                And it seems like the landscape fabric also allows water to pass right
                                through the material.
                                wheter in liquid or gaseous phases

                                Why what were you thinking????? :]

                                Ralph

                              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                                  Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                  > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof
                                  > can form condensation puddles under you.
                                  >
                                  > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                                  Washing tyvek does improve flexibility and greatly reduces the noise. I
                                  quite like the texture of washed tyvek. It's very much like paper.

                                  Now, why do we get condensation from a waterproof hammock (tyvek,
                                  silnylon) and not from a waterproof sleeping pad (thermarest's regular
                                  and NeoAir, ensolite pads, etc)?

                                  Actually, this last hiking trip (just back two days ago) was so humid
                                  day and night, that I've got heat rash all across my lower back.
                                  Sleeping on a breathable surface would have probably prevented the heat
                                  rash. I was sleeping on a NeoAir.

                                  One cold, humid, foggy night a few years ago, when car-camping at about
                                  2500 m in elevation, I experimented with wrapping a 'truck windshield'
                                  (i.e. about 2 mm of thin 'packing foam' lined with mylar--we can buy
                                  these sized for 2-person and 4-person tents) around my hammock as an
                                  outside, windproof layer. I did notice a puddle on the lowest point of
                                  this layer.

                                  A year or so later, I used tyvek to make a 'weathershield' kind of like
                                  Hennessey's--mainly to prevent my underquilt from being dampened by
                                  splashback. I didn't notice any condensation on the inside layer (more
                                  near 0*C nights with heavy fog), but I did notice the whole set-up was
                                  much warmer without the 'weathershield'.

                                  So, I am noticing some condensation. What about those people who are
                                  inserting a layer of mylar (emergency blankets) between them and their
                                  underquilts or Hennessey supershelters? What about condensation in a
                                  silnylon supershelter?

                                  CL
                                • punky
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                                    Tyvek is water resistant, not waterproof, and vapor permeable. This is why it is used to make painter's coveralls - unlike plastic it lets you wear it without soaking in your own sweat.

                                    It gets less noisy with washing.

                                    It doesn't make a good hammock because it will not support the weight. People at hammock forum have tried. Tore right through. Once it starts, it just tears.

                                    I have a tarptent made of Tyvek (the Sublite) for a specific kind of outing - it has been a champ in terms of condensation, and unlike nylon it reflects rather than absorbs the heat of the sun, so it makes a very good desert tent. Camping in Big Sur all the nylon tents were drenched on the inside in the morning and I was dry as a bone. The only time the fabric got wet was in a freeze - the water didn't freeze but it gathered in the fabric so it was wet inside and out, and then it did not dry very easily.

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                                    > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                                    > condensation puddles under you.
                                    >
                                    > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).
                                    >
                                    > On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                                    > that you use to block weeds etc.
                                    >
                                    > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                                    >

                                    > Ralph
                                  • sawyer7271
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                                      There was a thread on this subject on hammockforums.net where an individual did some testing. The person created a couple of gathered end hammocks. One the whippings slid off the end. Once that was fixed, the hammock failed as the tyvek ripped at the larkshead.

                                      Stick to Polyester or ripstop nylon, and use your tyvek for a cheap tarp... If you get lucky, some walmarts have fabric departments (but not for much longer). Look for Sharkskin silver ripstop. 7 yards doubled makes a fantastic hammock. My kids use a single layer of this material, and it works great.

                                      If you do wash your tyvek, don't use any soap. It does get quieter, but it's still quite noisy in the rain.

                                      John