Re: para cord for straps

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "keng" <paper_3@y...> wrote:

      > Hello all, new in the forum,i am from Singapore and camp out in
      > hammock once in a while, would like to find out from fellow
      > hammockers, if any one have use mil spec para cord for their
      straps ?

      I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
      really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your hammock
      high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
      stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.

      Jeff
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
        I have used it also, just temporarily, but I did a failure test on
        it (read: hang hammock, stand on chair, jump into hammock)and it
        broke. However, I braided the cord and it it passed the test. It
        also stretched alot more when it was braided.

        > I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
        > really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your hammock
        > high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
        > stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.
        >
        > Jeff
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
          True paracord is also called 550-cord because it's rated to 550 lbs,
          a bit less than the 600 lbs recommended here.

          There are some other products marketed as being similar to
          paracord. These usually have some sort of wispy material inside the
          sheath, instead of the strands (7, I think) of inner core.

          Of course, jumping into it from a chair probably exerted well over
          600 lbs of force and would have broken more than just paracord!

          Like I said, I don't use it because of the stretch.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

          > I have used it also, just temporarily, but I did a failure test on
          > it (read: hang hammock, stand on chair, jump into hammock)and it
          > broke. However, I braided the cord and it it passed the test. It
          > also stretched alot more when it was braided.
          >
          > > I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
          > > really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your
          hammock
          > > high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
          > > stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.
          > >
          > > Jeff
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2005
            True, but I like tearing stuff up:) I have done the same test
            several times, just to see what I can get away with. I did have some
            webbing break also, after the third jump. But, I could tell it was
            gonna break after the second jump. It looked like it was heated up
            and stretched, the next jump broke it. Usually it breaks at the knot
            where it is tied to the hammock.

            The only injury I've had is when a poly rope broke (first jump) it
            broke at the tree hugger, and whacked me accross the face. Yep, it
            left a mark (but not for long)!

            I also do the static tests but their just not as fun!