para cord for straps

  • keng
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hello all, new in the forum,i am from Singapore and camp out in
      hammock once in a while, would like to find out from fellow
      hammockers, if any one have use mil spec para cord for their straps ?

      Cheers
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "keng" <paper_3@y...> wrote:

        > Hello all, new in the forum,i am from Singapore and camp out in
        > hammock once in a while, would like to find out from fellow
        > hammockers, if any one have use mil spec para cord for their
        straps ?

        I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
        really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your hammock
        high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
        stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.

        Jeff
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
          I have used it also, just temporarily, but I did a failure test on
          it (read: hang hammock, stand on chair, jump into hammock)and it
          broke. However, I braided the cord and it it passed the test. It
          also stretched alot more when it was braided.

          > I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
          > really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your hammock
          > high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
          > stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.
          >
          > Jeff
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
            True paracord is also called 550-cord because it's rated to 550 lbs,
            a bit less than the 600 lbs recommended here.

            There are some other products marketed as being similar to
            paracord. These usually have some sort of wispy material inside the
            sheath, instead of the strands (7, I think) of inner core.

            Of course, jumping into it from a chair probably exerted well over
            600 lbs of force and would have broken more than just paracord!

            Like I said, I don't use it because of the stretch.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:

            > I have used it also, just temporarily, but I did a failure test on
            > it (read: hang hammock, stand on chair, jump into hammock)and it
            > broke. However, I braided the cord and it it passed the test. It
            > also stretched alot more when it was braided.
            >
            > > I've used it. It's plenty strong, but with the stretch it's not
            > > really suited to hammocking. It works ok if you hang your
            hammock
            > > high and pull it as tight as you can. When you get in it will
            > > stretch a lot, since it's designed to absorb opening shock.
            > >
            > > Jeff
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2005
              True, but I like tearing stuff up:) I have done the same test
              several times, just to see what I can get away with. I did have some
              webbing break also, after the third jump. But, I could tell it was
              gonna break after the second jump. It looked like it was heated up
              and stretched, the next jump broke it. Usually it breaks at the knot
              where it is tied to the hammock.

              The only injury I've had is when a poly rope broke (first jump) it
              broke at the tree hugger, and whacked me accross the face. Yep, it
              left a mark (but not for long)!

              I also do the static tests but their just not as fun!