Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Alternative Hanging Methods?

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2005
      On a canoe trip last year I took too poles I picked up at Home Depot (mop or broom handles) and modified them for emergency support. I sanded the varnish off the upper area of each pole and then drilled a hole at the height that I thought I'd want my lines to run. Each pole required three tieouts. I brought along a length of parachute cord and passed them through the hole in the pole and staked them out to the left and right of the pole. I then ran the hammock line of my Hennessy above the whole with a clove hitch and then staked out the hammock line in a straight line to direction I was setting the hammock up.

      The end result was being able to raise the head and tail of the Hennessy, with the remainder on the ground. Place your sleeping pad on the outside to protect the bottom and enter the grounded hammock feet first to allow smooth exit.

      I had to ground tent twice on a five day white water canoe trip. Once in a pubic park with only three trees (anchored the tail end to one of the few trees and used the pole for the head. The most creative was at a state park that demanded that we camp on gravel padeyes. I went diagonal to the corner, which allowed me to stake in the grass while keeping the body of the hammock on the gravel.

      Best of luck on the river.

      Tom, Va Beach, VA
      From: "Mirage" <mirage@...>
      Date: 2005/03/22 Tue PM 02:04:04 EST
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Alternative Hanging Methods?

    • Dave Bellinski
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2005
        Although not terribly light weight, one of the corkscrew devices used to
        secure a dog chain is almost impossible to pull out. IMO. I think they come
        in several sizes and the small size might be enough for hammocking.

        While I'm here, does anyone have any recommended dimensions for a gear
        hammock?

        Light'ning

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2005
          I'd go with a piece of fabric 6 feet long and 3 feet wide to start with
          (5 x 2 may be plenty, though). Double sheet bend at the end for the
          support line. 6 by 3 should be big enough for several people to use.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bellinski