Alternative Hanging Methods?

  • jmellis01
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hi Folks,
      I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May. I'd
      love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
      crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the photos
      I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
      outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert hammockers
      out there have any ideas?
      Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground using
      some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.

      Thanks,
      John
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01" <jmellis01@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        > I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May. I'd
        > love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
        > crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the photos
        > I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
        > outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert hammockers
        > out there have any ideas?
        > Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground using
        > some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John

        John, with even one tree, and a paddle, you can hang a hammock. See
        Risk's page documenting this at
        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

        I've done it with one tree and a 3" diameter branch I found. Others
        have used the door fram of a car as one of the anchor points.
        Experiment at home with material you might find on your trip.

        I've tried it with trekking poles, but even fully extended, they were
        too short to work for me. I used two poles at one end, in an inverted
        "v" or aframe with the handles lashed together with the hammock line,
        extending down to an anchor point. The other end was tied to a tree.
        There was alot of stress on the poles too, and I would not want to do
        this with expandable poles due to the risk of failure, either while
        sleeping, or on the trail. If you have a stout staff, I expect this
        would be more dual purpose.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 22, 2005
          Hi John,

          The option of paddles is an interesting one. I'm a kayaker but have
          not had an opt to try that yet. I have used the one pole method with
          success a few times and recently I hung in an old corral between two
          of the larger fence posts. Worked better than my camara
          unfortunately so no pics but 2 trees are not always needed. Think
          outside the tent!!!

          Best of luck,
          Jamie in AZ

          wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          > I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May.
          I'd
          > love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
          > crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the photos
          > I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
          > outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert hammockers
          > out there have any ideas?
          > Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground using
          > some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > John
        • Eric Sandberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 23, 2005
            For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
            staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
            inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
            pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the first
            stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
            from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
            Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.

            How have you succeeded?

            > Hi John,
            >
            > The option of paddles is an interesting one. I'm a kayaker but
            have
            > not had an opt to try that yet. I have used the one pole method
            with
            > success a few times and recently I hung in an old corral between
            two
            > of the larger fence posts. Worked better than my camara
            > unfortunately so no pics but 2 trees are not always needed. Think
            > outside the tent!!!
            >
            > Best of luck,
            > Jamie in AZ
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01"
            <jmellis01@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Folks,
            > > I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May.
            > I'd
            > > love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
            > > crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the
            photos
            > > I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
            > > outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert
            hammockers
            > > out there have any ideas?
            > > Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground
            using
            > > some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > John
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 23, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg" <docteric@y...> wrote:

              > For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
              > staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
              > inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
              > pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the first
              > stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
              > from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
              > Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.
              >
              > How have you succeeded?

              No stakes for me yet. I tied to the base of a small tree in one case, and to some roots in
              another.

              I've read about the circus tent method, but never tried it. Others have mentioned running
              the hammock line in a triangle, using two stakes at the corners.

              I think a firm, establish anchor point is still required, but even the base of a well
              established shrub should hold unless it has shallow roots or the soil is super saturated.

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 23, 2005
                Longer stakes?
                A triple gang of stakes?
                The tension on the line can be as much as 1000 lbs.

                I assume the stakes pulled over from the top rather than out from the bottom?

                Trees, car bumpers etc should be a better alternative.
                Ralph

                On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:05:09 -0000, Mirage <mirage@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg" <docteric@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
                > > staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
                > > inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
                > > pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the first
                > > stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
                > > from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
                > > Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.
                > >
                > > How have you succeeded?
                >
                > No stakes for me yet. I tied to the base of a small tree in one case, and
                > to some roots in
                > another.
                >
                > I've read about the circus tent method, but never tried it. Others have
                > mentioned running
                > the hammock line in a triangle, using two stakes at the corners.
                >
                > I think a firm, establish anchor point is still required, but even the base
                > of a well
                > established shrub should hold unless it has shallow roots or the soil is
                > super saturated.
                >
                > Shane "Mirage"...

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2005
                  When I used the one pole method it was with a 4x4 post and I staked
                  out to the tow hitch on my "evil" SUV so didn't really worry about
                  anything pulling out. I have not tried the one pole method while b-
                  packing only car camping. sorry, I'm not much help.

                  Jamie in az

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 24, 2005
                    Tied to the base of a tree. They usually do not pull out.

                    I also had the same problem with stakes. I was trying this in the fall
                    and the ground was moist. Even deeply placed stakes like you suggest as
                    pairs or triplets pulled out.

                    From some work with amateur radio, putting antennas up, I might suggest
                    using metal fence posts and a fence post driver. Drive them at an angle
                    in pairs, like a circus tent at least 18-24 inches deep. But before
                    doing that, purchase a highlift jack and a piece of chain to pull the
                    fence posts back out! This is not backpacking equipment.

                    Risk

                    Eric Sandberg wrote:

                    >For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
                    >staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
                    >inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
                    >pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the first
                    >stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
                    >from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
                    >Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.
                    >
                    >How have you succeeded?
                    >
                    >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>Hi John,
                    >>
                    >>The option of paddles is an interesting one. I'm a kayaker but
                    >>

                    >have
                    >

                    >>not had an opt to try that yet. I have used the one pole method
                    >>

                    >with
                    >

                    >>success a few times and recently I hung in an old corral between
                    >>

                    >two
                    >

                    >>of the larger fence posts. Worked better than my camara
                    >>unfortunately so no pics but 2 trees are not always needed. Think
                    >>outside the tent!!!
                    >>
                    >>Best of luck,
                    >>Jamie in AZ
                    >>
                    >>--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01"
                    >>

                    ><jmellis01@y...>
                    >

                    >>wrote:
                    >>

                    >>>Hi Folks,
                    >>> I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May.
                    >>>

                    >>I'd
                    >>

                    >>>love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
                    >>>crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the
                    >>>

                    >photos
                    >

                    >>>I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
                    >>>outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert
                    >>>

                    >hammockers
                    >

                    >>>out there have any ideas?
                    >>> Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground
                    >>>

                    >using
                    >

                    >>>some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.
                    >>>
                    >>>Thanks,
                    >>>John
                    >>>

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 24, 2005
                      Dang Risk, I thought everyone brought along T-posts and a driver on
                      a BP trip:) Actually, when I use the single pole method I found it
                      to work better when I do two things.

                      I use one pole and two tie outs. I use longer stakes (rain gutter
                      nails) and I use a longer tie out, 12 feet long. This reduces the
                      angle of the pullon the top of the stake so it doesn't pull out. I
                      also hang the hammock as low as I can (just a few inches off of the
                      ground when I am in it). I also tie out the hamock strap after it is
                      tied to the pole, it really doesn't do anything, just insurance.

                      So, use longer stakes, longer tie-outs and keep everything nice and
                      low. I guess that's three things. :)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 24, 2005
                        That will work. However, there is nothing like the complete amazement
                        that occurs with doing this with a single attachment. Two ropes or two
                        poles makes it a three legged stool which can not fall over - but that
                        is not very amazing. A single pole and a a single tie out is magic.

                        BTW, magic does not always work. When I tried to set up this way at the
                        March 2004 hammock hangers campout, my set up failed. The necessary
                        angles are critical for success.

                        I think the technique actually does have benefit when setting up in a
                        park-like setting where all the trees have been cleared so that no two
                        trees are closer than 20-25 feet. I have never found anyplace on the
                        trail where I considered it.

                        Risk

                        Rat wrote:

                        >Dang Risk, I thought everyone brought along T-posts and a driver on
                        >a BP trip:) Actually, when I use the single pole method I found it
                        >to work better when I do two things.
                        >
                        >I use one pole and two tie outs. I use longer stakes (rain gutter
                        >nails) and I use a longer tie out, 12 feet long. This reduces the
                        >angle of the pullon the top of the stake so it doesn't pull out. I
                        >also hang the hammock as low as I can (just a few inches off of the
                        >ground when I am in it). I also tie out the hamock strap after it is
                        >tied to the pole, it really doesn't do anything, just insurance.
                        >
                        >So, use longer stakes, longer tie-outs and keep everything nice and
                        >low. I guess that's three things. :)
                        >

                        >>Tied to the base of a tree. They usually do not pull out.
                        >>
                        >>I also had the same problem with stakes. I was trying this in the
                        >>

                        >fall
                        >

                        >>and the ground was moist. Even deeply placed stakes like you
                        >>

                        >suggest as
                        >

                        >>pairs or triplets pulled out.
                        >>
                        >> From some work with amateur radio, putting antennas up, I might
                        >>

                        >suggest
                        >

                        >>using metal fence posts and a fence post driver. Drive them at an
                        >>

                        >angle
                        >

                        >>in pairs, like a circus tent at least 18-24 inches deep. But
                        >>

                        >before
                        >

                        >>doing that, purchase a highlift jack and a piece of chain to pull
                        >>

                        >the
                        >

                        >>fence posts back out! This is not backpacking equipment.
                        >>
                        >>Risk
                        >>

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Rat
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
                          True not very amazing. But that is how I do it with the idea in mind
                          that there is not other anchor (tree, shrub whatever) close enough
                          to tie to.

                          At the hammock hanger campout, why did it fail, was the anchor too
                          far away too close or what? I usually angle the bottom of
                          the "stick" towards the Hammock and tie the hammock just below where
                          I tie the anchor line, both pretty close to the top of the stick. I
                          think I have pictures in my folder still, I gotta look.

                          Just curious as to why yours failed, so I don't make the same
                          mistake.

                          BTW, I've only *had* to use the single pole one time, in Iraq, of
                          course.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
                            Probably, the distance was too great between the trees. I have not done
                            a lot of experiments with this.

                            Rick

                            Rat wrote:

                            >True not very amazing. But that is how I do it with the idea in mind
                            >that there is not other anchor (tree, shrub whatever) close enough
                            >to tie to.
                            >
                            >At the hammock hanger campout, why did it fail, was the anchor too
                            >far away too close or what? I usually angle the bottom of
                            >the "stick" towards the Hammock and tie the hammock just below where
                            >I tie the anchor line, both pretty close to the top of the stick. I
                            >think I have pictures in my folder still, I gotta look.
                            >
                            >Just curious as to why yours failed, so I don't make the same
                            >mistake.
                            >
                            >BTW, I've only *had* to use the single pole one time, in Iraq, of
                            >course.
                            >
                            >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>That will work. However, there is nothing like the complete
                            >>

                            >amazement
                            >

                            >>that occurs with doing this with a single attachment. Two ropes or
                            >>

                            >two
                            >

                            >>poles makes it a three legged stool which can not fall over - but
                            >>

                            >that
                            >

                            >>is not very amazing. A single pole and a a single tie out is
                            >>

                            >magic.
                            >

                            >>BTW, magic does not always work. When I tried to set up this way
                            >>

                            >at the
                            >

                            >>March 2004 hammock hangers campout, my set up failed. The
                            >>

                            >necessary
                            >

                            >>angles are critical for success.
                            >>
                            >>I think the technique actually does have benefit when setting up
                            >>

                            >in a
                            >

                            >>park-like setting where all the trees have been cleared so that no
                            >>

                            >two
                            >

                            >>trees are closer than 20-25 feet. I have never found anyplace on
                            >>

                            >the
                            >

                            >>trail where I considered it.
                            >>
                            >>Risk
                            >>

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Matthew Takeda
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
                              Mirage wrote:
                              >I've tried it with trekking poles, but even fully extended, they were
                              >too short to work for me. I used two poles at one end, in an inverted
                              >"v" or aframe with the handles lashed together with the hammock line,
                              >extending down to an anchor point. The other end was tied to a tree.
                              > There was alot of stress on the poles too, and I would not want to do
                              >this with expandable poles due to the risk of failure, either while
                              >sleeping, or on the trail. If you have a stout staff, I expect this
                              >would be more dual purpose.

                              Don't do it with adjustable trekking poles. I tried it last summer with my
                              adjustable Komperdells and the stress was too much. Good thing Komperdell
                              sells replacement sections!

                              Matthew Takeda
                              the JOAT
                            • beentomadrid
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 25, 2005
                                <docteric@y...> wrote:

                                > For people who've used these alternative methods, how have you
                                > staked the hammock out? I've tried the single pole, and the
                                > inverted "V" poles. The problem I've always had was the stakes
                                > pulling out of the ground. I tried a double stake system (the
                                first
                                > stake is quite long with a second stake behind it. The a line runs
                                > from the top of the first stake to the bottom of the second one.
                                > Used on circus tents a lot). Even these havepulled out.

                                Although it may not be totally environmentally friendly in some
                                locations you might use the same technique used in sand or snow.
                                That is to bury a stick crossways in a hole with your rope around it.
                                That should do the trick. It's a very strong method. I saw a
                                hammock set up that way with 1 and 2 poles on one of these sites (Sgt
                                Rock's perhaps? in Iraq).

                                Doug Campbell