RE: [Hammock Camping] Reluctant to try a cloth hammock

  • mark monse
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
      I way in close to 350lb and this is where I got the fabrics for my hammock and gear the 1050 Denier Ballistic Nylon Extreme Heavy Duty Fabric is almost indestructible I got the 10 yard role it may be to heavy for most people for hiking. Not cheep but reasonable and in my book well worth the money.

      http://www.americanhomeandhabitat.com/index.htm

      Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
      Hey Wade,
      I check in at about 225 myself and I love my hammocks. I have made a
      couple of Speer type hammocks with cheapo fabric from Jo-Ann and have
      had no problems at all. I bought good 600# webbing for the first hammock
      and scavenged some free electrical cable-pulling webbing for the second.
      I don't necessarily recomment the cable-pulling webbing since it is very
      slick and I have some doubts about it holding knots. But it hasn't 'let
      me down' yet. Jo-Ann used to have a line of fabrics called Fabric
      Bonanza and you could get them for $1 - 2 on sale. I made lots of gear
      out of those fabrics, but Jo-Ann has discontinued the line. My favorite
      fabric is supplex since it is comfortable against the skin.

      Due to my 235 pounds, I have been reluctant to try a cloth
      hammock. Perhaps I should give it a try.
      Any suggestions for what kind of cloth to use for someone of my
      weight. Wade

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      "No! Im never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. you get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. i dont feel that way any longer"
      quot from DON JUAN of Carlos Castaneda's Books

      The human mind .
      I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
      porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?