Reluctant to try a cloth hammock

  • cuicui97
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
      Due to my 235 pounds, I have been reluctant to try a cloth
      hammock. Perhaps I should give it a try.
      Any suggestions for what kind of cloth to use for someone of my
      weight. Wade
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
        Go for it!!
        I enjoy my HH and a Cheap an easy Risk type special.

        My Cheap and easy was just 4 yards of Walmart $1.00 polyester fabric
        tied up with a double sheet bend. No sewing so nothing to bust loose.
        :]

        Hang em low for a while at a park and take a nice nap, soon you will
        be able to relax and enjoy.

        Ralph Oborn 215 lbs.

        On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:35:09 -0000, cuicui97 <cuicui97@...> wrote:

        > Due to my 235 pounds, I have been reluctant to try a cloth
        > hammock. Perhaps I should give it a try.
        > Any suggestions for what kind of cloth to use for someone of my
        > weight. Wade

      • Banjo Doje
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
          I started out with my HH Original (at that time I was 250!!!) and had
          NO problems in it - I also have an Amazonas Cloth hammock that I sleep
          in at home that is rated to 300 lbs - after more than a year I JUST
          now had to get a new one.

          Love my hammocks!
          Jodi

          --
          Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
          instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
            Hey Wade,
            I check in at about 225 myself and I love my hammocks. I have made a
            couple of Speer type hammocks with cheapo fabric from Jo-Ann and have
            had no problems at all. I bought good 600# webbing for the first hammock
            and scavenged some free electrical cable-pulling webbing for the second.
            I don't necessarily recomment the cable-pulling webbing since it is very
            slick and I have some doubts about it holding knots. But it hasn't 'let
            me down' yet. Jo-Ann used to have a line of fabrics called Fabric
            Bonanza and you could get them for $1 - 2 on sale. I made lots of gear
            out of those fabrics, but Jo-Ann has discontinued the line. My favorite
            fabric is supplex since it is comfortable against the skin.

            Due to my 235 pounds, I have been reluctant to try a cloth
            hammock. Perhaps I should give it a try.
            Any suggestions for what kind of cloth to use for someone of my
            weight. Wade
          • mark monse
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
              I way in close to 350lb and this is where I got the fabrics for my hammock and gear the 1050 Denier Ballistic Nylon Extreme Heavy Duty Fabric is almost indestructible I got the 10 yard role it may be to heavy for most people for hiking. Not cheep but reasonable and in my book well worth the money.

              http://www.americanhomeandhabitat.com/index.htm

              Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              "No! Im never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. you get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. i dont feel that way any longer"
              quot from DON JUAN of Carlos Castaneda's Books

              The human mind .
              I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
              porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?