Sprang Hammock Picts

  • ksbioteacher
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
      I have put three images of a sprang hammock under BW's Sprang Hammock
      Picts....

      BW
    • ksbioteacher
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
        I've added a couple of other images that are close-ups of the weave.

        BW

        > I have put three images of a sprang hammock under BW's Sprang Hammock
        > Picts....
        >
        > BW
      • beentomadrid
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ksbioteacher"
          <bioteacher@e...> wrote:

          > I've added a couple of other images that are close-ups of the weave.

          Great pictures! I'm fascinated by old skills such as this. I want to
          add this technique to my hammock making arsenol. I've been wanting
          to make a backyard hammock and this looks just right. Is there any
          problem with not using a spreader bar? Do you have to make sure the
          final locking string in the middle is wide enough to accommodate the
          stretch? What about the locking method I saw on one of your links
          where you make like a chain of loops from one side to the other,
          would that restrict the stretch? Perhaps we should take this off-
          list if the details get too long.

          Thanks,

          Doug Campbell
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "beentomadrid"
            <beentomadrid@y...> wrote:

            > Great pictures! I'm fascinated by old skills such as this. I want to
            > add this technique to my hammock making arsenol. I've been wanting
            > to make a backyard hammock and this looks just right. Is there any
            > problem with not using a spreader bar? Do you have to make sure the
            > final locking string in the middle is wide enough to accommodate the
            > stretch? What about the locking method I saw on one of your links
            > where you make like a chain of loops from one side to the other,
            > would that restrict the stretch? Perhaps we should take this off-
            > list if the details get too long.

            Please don't take it off the list, I'm sure many others are
            interested, myself included.

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • ksbioteacher
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
              One of my teaching colleagues has indicated that she would like to
              learn how to make one. Over the next week, I'll try to give her a
              little push to get started. I'll record the procedure, this tiime
              with picts and post them with instructions. I don't know how long
              she will take to finish (I usually take about 6 hours) so it may
              take a while before we get all the parts completed...

              BW