Finished my 'Risk travel pod"

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 2:43 PM
      That and my 20* bag and a 1/4" Oware pad fitted inside the hammock
      kept me very toasty in sub freezing weather. One major problem
      though. I used 1.1 oz ripstop DWR nylon to make the pod with. Its
      supposed to breath I thought but I had major condensation problems.
      Anybody know what Im doing wrong? Thanx ahead, Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 3:23 AM
        Wash it well. That will allow the material to become moist and then
        evaporate. I have had some moistness over my head, but I keep a couple
        inches open.

        Congrats. You are the first I am aware of to have tried this piece of
        gear.

        Let us know how it turns out.

        Risk

        ghman777 wrote:

        >That and my 20* bag and a 1/4" Oware pad fitted inside the hammock
        >kept me very toasty in sub freezing weather. One major problem
        >though. I used 1.1 oz ripstop DWR nylon to make the pod with. Its
        >supposed to breath I thought but I had major condensation problems.
        >Anybody know what Im doing wrong? Thanx ahead, Bill
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eric Sandberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23 8:00 PM
          Sorry I haven't written about this before, but I'm using a whole
          bunch of your ideas Rick. I made a travel pod and have used it
          sucessfully down to 17 degrees F with no problem. As you mentioned,
          some minor condensation, but no more than I had in a bivy, and a lot
          more comfortable. I did not use DWR ripstop, so that might have
          made a diference. One alternative idea is to use strips of velcro
          rather than the zipper. It seems to be lighter and also can be
          closed with a few gaps along it to reduce condensation even more.

          I used it with a hammock similar to your Warmhammock with two inches
          of insulation under it and a quilt about 1.5 inches thick on top.
          That's summer weight equipment around here - and it was perfectly
          warm at 17 (wearing bathing suit shorts and a bergalene top).

          I also made a hammock stand per your design and I love it. I used
          1/4 in bolts to hold the bottom 2X4 together and to hold the
          vertical triangles to the upright. This makes it easier to take
          down and put up so I can move it a lot.

          Sorry I never mentioned it before. Keep up the good innovations.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24 3:02 AM
            It is always nice to hear of someone using the ideas Eric. I am glad it
            is working out well.

            The bolts on the stand would work fine. I use drywall screws because I
            also use a drill to drive them. It takes me much less time to drive a
            screw in or out than to get a bolt through a hole.

            Rick