[Hammock Camping] Re: cold weather idea - bomb hatch

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bellinski
      <dave.bellinski@o...> wrote:
      > What type of glue do you use with
      > ripstop? Will the same glue work with sil-nylon?

      This would be an experiment for me. I have used fabric cements with
      cotton-like fabrics that work well, but they are not very flexible.
      I've also used silicon caulk as an adhesive and it works pretty
      well. Not sure how well it would do in this sort of application.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2005
        Sounds like an innovative idea. When compared to the Garlington
        Taco and JRB Weathershield, I understand the difference in your
        design, but not the difference in function.

        If the purpose is to provide wind resistance and to hold insulation
        against the hammock, why add the weight and complexity of velcro,
        when you can just whipa layer of RN to the ends of the hammock?

        Jeff
      • schrochem
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 24, 2005
          Thanks for the suggestions on this. I can see the limitations of
          sewing it to the bottom and using velcro.
          Having thought some more about it how about this:

          Only ONE long door, held closely to the hammock with shock cord or
          equivalent. Where the short door would be, just have another length
          of shock cord. The insulation can be installed and the long door
          pulled up through the shock cord on the short side pulled snug. I am
          still thinking about how to keep it there, but this would eliminate
          velcro and only use minimal fabric and cord. Heck this could even be
          made in no time flat.
          Any other suggestions
          thanks
          scott

          > How 'bout not actually attaching the bomb bays doors tothe hammock?
          > Have real fine rope or twine either in the hammock (under a thin pad
          > or over the top of a ridge line to hold the bomb bay doors up?
          > Ralph Oborn
          >

          > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:09:25 -0000, Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...>
          wrote:

          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "schrochem"
          <schrochem@g...>
          > > wrote:
          > > file section / bombhatch001.pdf
          > >
          > > Pretty good idea. One worry about doing this kind of thing is
          > > weakening the hammock body fabric by all the needle pricks
          through
          > > the ripstop nylon; however, you could probably just glue the bomb-
          > > bay doors to the hammock bottom since it won't be carrying much
          > > weight.
          > >
          > > Some ideas:
          > > Make one short door and one long door. Put 3 or 4 short velcro
          > > strips on the short door and matching ones on the long door.
          Long
          > > door goes over to short door and velcros up. Problem: gap along
          > > the side.
          > >
          > > Same long / short door idea, but glue the long door in position
          > > along each long side. Short door provides some adjustment and
          > > access to the slot to insert the insulator. Problem: still uses
          > > velcro.
          > >
          > > Glue both doors to the bottom with a central overlaping slit.
          Load
          > > insulation via the slit. Problem: somewhat restricted access.
          could
          > > just leave insulation in place and use the equivalent of python
          > > skins.

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 25, 2005
            Scott,

            Check out this link.
            http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm

            He made a baffled second layer that he can insert and remove
            insulation using a simple overlap. Also saves the weight and
            complexity of velcro or shockcord.

            Just another idea...might be helpful in your design.

            Jeff