Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Pole on HH fly

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2005
      While I do think the pole looks cool, I think it is
      utterly unneccesary. Tom, I tie my tieouts to the fly
      all the time without it having a pole. I simply tie a
      loop in the tieout, then clip it into the little clip
      on the fly because it keeps the ground under the
      hammock less cluttered and allows me to easily unclip
      one side and draw it over to the other side, pulling
      the hammock out of the way when I am sitting below to
      cook or relax out of the rain.

      The reason I say it is unnecessary, and even a slight
      bit of a hinderance is because of a couple of reasons.
      First, it adds weight and bulk to the pack, as well
      more complication. For this it then should have a big
      reward. But the only reward I can see is that it
      would increase the coverage over the ground. However,
      it decreases the coverage of the hammock by raising
      the fly edge. If we are talking about wind blown
      rain, it is how far down, not how far out the fly
      stretches. Hence the reason that tent flys reach down
      to the ground. Also, with the fly rigidly spread and
      held high, it will catch the wind better, but be less
      able to conform, and as such will be more likely to
      pull stakes or tear in a strong gust.

      These are my two cents anyway, and I can think of
      situations where in it could be a benefit, but I don't
      want to bore anyone. Talk to me off list if this is
      something you would like to share, or something you
      would like ask me.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2005
        > Also, with the fly rigidly spread and
        > held high, it will catch the wind better, but be less
        > able to conform, and as such will be more likely to
        > pull stakes or tear in a strong gust.

        I think the biggest advantage is that you don't NEED any stakes or
        guylines with this setup. You just tie to the trees and insert the
        pole...and you're done.

        The downside is that you can't adjust tarp pitch for windy
        conditions. However, you could tighten the hammock closer to the
        tarp at the guy-out points, and if you had a water resistant cover
        (like the taco) that might keep the windblown rain out. Or if you
        had a bigger tarp, like the 8x8, you might get enough coverage just
        by tightening the guy-outs.

        That wouldn't stop any possible tears, though. Using shock-cord to
        attach the hammock guy-out points to the tarp would have somewhat of
        a dampening effect. Using the sling-shot techniqe on the other two
        points would add some. Not sure that would be enough if very strong
        winds, though.

        I wonder why he put the pole on the outside. Any ideas?

        Jeff