Re: colder weather hammocking

  • geoflyfisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
      John,

      The reflectix would help, but probably be overkill with your set up.
      Try putting your empty rucksack or some clothing in the space between
      the hammock and the underhung poncho. Make sure it is set up so wind
      does not blow between the hammock and the poncho.

      Failing that set up, having both pads would not be a bad thing to
      have in the hip pocket.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "hikingdude2003"
      <jp295301@o...> wrote:
      > I've read much about hammocking in colder weather. I'm taking a
      few
      > days off from my thesis starting around March23 and hiking the loop
      > at Shawnee State Forrest in SE Ohio. I'm expecting lows to be
      around
      > 30 degrees. Assuming an Ozark Trail 24x72x1/2" pad, Marmot 20
      degree
      > down bag, and wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
      > Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
      > really help all that much?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -John
    • hikingdude2003
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
        Ed,

        That's what I meant about the groudcloth, just being wrapped around
        the bottom. I'll probably tie the ends the the areas just above the
        hammock knots, then use binder clips to attach it to the sides of the
        hammock.

        -John
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
          Message
          That should work John...Ed

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2003
            > wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
            > Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
            > really help all that much?

            Forget the windshield pad. For the same weight, I would bring a
            large plastic bag and a 'space blanket' to use as insulation between
            the poncho and the bottom of the hammock. (crinkle up the space
            blanket well, then fold it lightly over itself to create a ~30" wide
            x 60" long blanket about 4"-5" thick. You should get about 5 layers
            of space blanket. Put this into the plastic bag, trap a little air
            and seal it with a twist tie or thick rubber band.)

            If you use this configuration and can pull the poncho up so the
            insulation just touches the hammock bottom, you won't get cold from
            underneath.