Re: Greetings!

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jon Clarke <piperjon2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello, all! I'm new here, and will be new to hammock

      Welcome! You've come to the right place to learn. Everyone here is
      very helpful and willing to answer about any question you can think
      of. And most of the experts, if there are any recognized experts for
      hammock camping, are here as well.

      > First off, the fabric
      > stores around here don't carrry things like ripstop,
      > cordura, etc. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive
      > place, presumably online, to shop.

      You can make a hammock out of almost any fabric...it's just that some
      work better outdoors than others. So prototype with whatever you
      find at Walmart on the $1/yd rack, and save your good stuff for after
      you find a workable design. I've gotten probably 100 yds of RN, DWR,
      silnylon, taffeta, and bug netting mesh from the Walmart $1 rack, but
      I only find something suitable about every 5th trip.

      Online materials:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm (Hammock kits)
      http://www.thru-hiker.com (Good materials and insulation)
      http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp (Check the drag chute
      fabric)
      http://www.owfinc.com/ (50% off sale in March)

      For hammock camping details, check out:
      http://www.imrisk.com (hammock camping starts about halfway down)
      http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (Sgt Rock's)
      http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/ (Mirage)
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/ (Ed Speer's site - he owns this list)
      http://www.jacksrbetter.com (AWESOME equipment)
      http://www.whiteblaze.net has a Hammock Camping Forum
      http://www.hennesseyhammocks.com (Best all-in-one solution, but
      Speers are more comfortable and only a bit heavier, imo)

      Most of the owners of the links above are on this list.

      > Any suggestions as to the quintessetial big-guy
      > hammock fabric?

      Speer 8.5C is good for 6' 5" and 350lbs, so I'm sure you can find
      something!

      > Looking forward to swingin' under the stars!

      Let us know how it works out for you...

      > <:3_)~~~ Not just for breakfast anymore!

      Eh...I looked at this for about 5 minutes and have no idea what it is!

      Jeff