Greetings!

  • Jon Clarke
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7 6:12 AM
      Hello, all! I'm new here, and will be new to hammock
      camping, but I'm no newbie to camping or hiking in
      general. I live in Arkansas, which is a veritable
      playground of outdoor experiences.

      My first (and most assuredly not last) question for
      y'all is this: I'm looking to make a hammock for
      camping. I'm good with a sewing machine, but I do
      have two major obstacles. First off, the fabric
      stores around here don't carrry things like ripstop,
      cordura, etc. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive
      place, presumably online, to shop.

      The bigger (no pun intended) obstacle is, well, my
      size; I'm a big'n. I'm 6'1", and currently weigh in
      at 278, and most assuredly, I''m *NOT* interested in a
      fabric failure in the middle of a nice nite's snooze.
      Any suggestions as to the quintessetial big-guy
      hammock fabric?

      Looking forward to swingin' under the stars!
      Pj

      <:3_)~~~ Not just for breakfast anymore!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7 9:20 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jon Clarke
        <piperjon2000@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, all! I'm new here, and will be new to hammock
        > camping, but I'm no newbie to camping or hiking in
        > general. I live in Arkansas, which is a veritable
        > playground of outdoor experiences.

        Welcome PJ. I've spent some time in the area. My Grand folks lived
        in Kimberling City while I was growing up, and I spent time out on
        Table Rock Lake, and used to drive to a swimming hole across the
        border in Arkansas whenever we visited. Beautiful country.

        > My first (and most assuredly not last) question for
        > y'all is this: I'm looking to make a hammock for
        > camping. I'm good with a sewing machine, but I do
        > have two major obstacles. First off, the fabric
        > stores around here don't carrry things like ripstop,
        > cordura, etc. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive
        > place, presumably online, to shop.

        I have bought only from http://www.owfinc.com/, but had a great
        experience with them. I ordered sets of fabric, cording and fleece
        swatches from them first, and this helps alot with placing orders
        and selecting fabrics.

        Lots of folks find suitable fabrics at thier local WallMart. The
        ones near me are not big enough to carry fabrics, least wise not
        that I've found.

        > The bigger (no pun intended) obstacle is, well, my
        > size; I'm a big'n. I'm 6'1", and currently weigh in
        > at 278, and most assuredly, I''m *NOT* interested in a
        > fabric failure in the middle of a nice nite's snooze.
        > Any suggestions as to the quintessetial big-guy
        > hammock fabric?

        Ed Speer has published a book, "Hammock Camping"
        (http://hammockcamping.com) that has construction details, including
        how to measure the amount of fabric you'll need and what
        strength/weight fabric you'll require for your expected occupancy
        limits. He has much of this information published at the following
        link as well: http://hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm#Making

        > Looking forward to swingin' under the stars!
        > Pj

        Again, welcome to the group, and happy hanging...

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7 10:34 AM
          wrote:
          > Hello, all! I'm new here, and will be new to hammock

          Welcome! You've come to the right place to learn. Everyone here is
          very helpful and willing to answer about any question you can think
          of. And most of the experts, if there are any recognized experts for
          hammock camping, are here as well.

          > First off, the fabric
          > stores around here don't carrry things like ripstop,
          > cordura, etc. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive
          > place, presumably online, to shop.

          You can make a hammock out of almost any fabric...it's just that some
          work better outdoors than others. So prototype with whatever you
          find at Walmart on the $1/yd rack, and save your good stuff for after
          you find a workable design. I've gotten probably 100 yds of RN, DWR,
          silnylon, taffeta, and bug netting mesh from the Walmart $1 rack, but
          I only find something suitable about every 5th trip.

          Online materials:
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm (Hammock kits)
          http://www.thru-hiker.com (Good materials and insulation)
          http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp (Check the drag chute
          fabric)
          http://www.owfinc.com/ (50% off sale in March)

          For hammock camping details, check out:
          http://www.imrisk.com (hammock camping starts about halfway down)
          http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (Sgt Rock's)
          http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/ (Mirage)
          http://www.hammockcamping.com/ (Ed Speer's site - he owns this list)
          http://www.jacksrbetter.com (AWESOME equipment)
          http://www.whiteblaze.net has a Hammock Camping Forum
          http://www.hennesseyhammocks.com (Best all-in-one solution, but
          Speers are more comfortable and only a bit heavier, imo)

          Most of the owners of the links above are on this list.

          > Any suggestions as to the quintessetial big-guy
          > hammock fabric?

          Speer 8.5C is good for 6' 5" and 350lbs, so I'm sure you can find
          something!

          > Looking forward to swingin' under the stars!

          Let us know how it works out for you...

          > <:3_)~~~ Not just for breakfast anymore!

          Eh...I looked at this for about 5 minutes and have no idea what it is!

          Jeff