Subject: Re: catenary cut hammock body now: Spreader Bar

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 9:07 AM
      Anybody besides me experimenting with a spreader bar for hammock ends? This is the old fashioned way, and after some tries, I see why. For one thing, the hammock can be shorter, and the "squeeze" issue is alleviated. The lie at the head end is way different and I think better, comparing to the HH asym UL. I like it. Head end only spreader bar works, I tried both already.

      Try this: with the standard $1 yard Wally material, make a double layer hammock from 5 1/'2 yards by looping the material over a 16 inch aluminum spreader bar which has cord threaded through it and tied off like a bridle. At the foot end, do whatever fold or rolling you like, I favor half folds toward the center, and cinch or cord wrap it as usual. I pull the outer 6 inches of the material an inch further out to make the sides tighter as I like them. That's it.
      Not only no additional sewing, and most important, no stitch line across the spreader bar end to rip out, but only one end is tied off. Use a row of half hitches and you can tie and untie for retries in minutes.

      The double layers allow clothes or whatever to be inserted, and I'm thinking that external bottom insulation could be loosely quilted to the bottom ply only with regular yarn real easy.

      What works for prototypes is the Home Depot 3/4 inch square by 1/16 thick extruded aluminum tube. This has been holding body weight OK. Need to use spectra core cord or fairly heavy strap through it and do something about the edge of the tube cutting into the cord or strap. But you guys can figure all that out, it's obvious. Anybody trying this, please post what you come up with. I think this direction is a winner.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.