[Hammock Camping] Re: follow-up on catenary cut hammock body

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Right before you whip (or tie, or sheet bend), if you pull the edges
      of the material about 2 or 3 inches on each end, then the fabric at
      the edge is shorter than the fabric in the middle, which cuts down on
      floppy edges. Making sense?

      Bill in Houston

      <rgarling@y...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
      > <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
      > > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
      > > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
      > > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
      > > end before
      > > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
      > > pull taught when
      > > occupied.
      >
      > I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

        > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
        over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
        > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
        dedicated top quilt (did I
        > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

        I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

        I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
        hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
        an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
        aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
        drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
        is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

        > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
        ever spent in my hammock,
        > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
        up, I shot awake, and
        > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
        guessing this feeling is
        > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
        dimensions of your
        > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
        the feeling of
        > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
        to blame it on the cold
        > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

        I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
        stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
        actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
        except on really cold nights.

        Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
        get out in the hills much during the winter months.

        > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
        longer quilt if you
        > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
        same quilt dimensions
        > would suffice?

        Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
        have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
        made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
        out.

        Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
        Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
        avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
        derivatives (ala Risk and others).

        > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
        hammock did create a
        > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
        storage sack that I carry
        > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
        kinda stopped the
        > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
        how you stopped it if you
        > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
        ends.

        Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
        down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
        twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
        ventilation a wee bit.

        Shane "Mirage"...