Re: Mirage...hammock and quilt length

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

      > Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your
      quilt is 84" long while your
      > hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around
      the hammock for the
      > end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of
      the hammock near the end?
      > And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would
      you need to make a
      > longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would
      suffice?

      Howie,

      You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
      than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
      of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.

      In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
      to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
      having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
      longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.

      When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
      very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
      occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
      me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
      message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
      making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
      tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
      4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.

      So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
      me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
      feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
      at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
      and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
      whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
      cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
      hammock body.

      Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
      Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
      claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
      progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
      the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
      be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Jeremy
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        Mirage,

        Definately all good info to have, thanks for your willingness to share. It is greatly
        appreciated.

        At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
        or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a dedicated top quilt (did I
        mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

        But I must say, after just walking in from a 28*F night, I'm leaning toward the over/under
        style. I had the hammock stuffed into my old Marmot 0*F Never Summer bag, and was
        toasty the whole night (in fact, too warm at some points..if you can believe it). I probably
        would have even been warmer if it had been able to reach beyond my chest and cover my
        shoulders/neck/head, but I used a down jacket under those parts (albeit still inside the
        hammock) and was OK.

        This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've ever spent in my hammock,
        and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me up, I shot awake, and
        was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm guessing this feeling is
        lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower dimensions of your
        hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt the feeling of
        clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt to blame it on the cold
        I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

        Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a longer quilt if you
        went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the same quilt dimensions
        would suffice?

        The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the hammock did create a
        trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton storage sack that I carry
        everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which kinda stopped the
        draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that, how you stopped it if you
        did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the ends.

        BTW, my previous "low" before speer-style hammocks was 45. That's all I could get out of
        a couple of pads and a sleeping bag inside. Now that I can wrap a sleeping bag around
        the outside, however, I might could push this hammock thing into the teens or single
        didgits with no additional "gear" than I used last night.

        Weight totals: hammock (with all ropes and tree huggers) 10oz
        Sleeping bag: 36oz
        Down jacket: 22oz
        total: 68oz -or- 4.25lbs

        Not bad for just "standard" gear. Can't wait to make some myself to get the weight down
        even more.

        Thanks again,

        -howie

        > Howie,
        >
        > You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
        > than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
        > of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.
        >
        > In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
        > to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
        > having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
        > longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.
        >
        > When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
        > very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
        > occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
        > me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
        > message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
        > making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
        > tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
        > 4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.
        >
        > So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
        > me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
        > feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
        > at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
        > and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
        > whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
        > cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
        > hammock body.
        >
        > Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
        > Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
        > claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
        > progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
        > the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
        > be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
          <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
          > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
          > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
          > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:

          I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
          > end before
          > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
          > pull taught when
          > occupied.

          I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:

          http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            Right before you whip (or tie, or sheet bend), if you pull the edges
            of the material about 2 or 3 inches on each end, then the fabric at
            the edge is shorter than the fabric in the middle, which cuts down on
            floppy edges. Making sense?

            Bill in Houston

            <rgarling@y...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
            > <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
            > > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
            > > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
            > > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
            > > end before
            > > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
            > > pull taught when
            > > occupied.
            >
            > I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

              > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
              over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
              > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
              dedicated top quilt (did I
              > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

              I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

              I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
              hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
              an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
              aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
              drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
              is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

              > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
              ever spent in my hammock,
              > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
              up, I shot awake, and
              > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
              guessing this feeling is
              > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
              dimensions of your
              > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
              the feeling of
              > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
              to blame it on the cold
              > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

              I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
              stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
              actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
              except on really cold nights.

              Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
              get out in the hills much during the winter months.

              > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
              longer quilt if you
              > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
              same quilt dimensions
              > would suffice?

              Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
              have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
              made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
              out.

              Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
              Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
              avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
              derivatives (ala Risk and others).

              > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
              hammock did create a
              > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
              storage sack that I carry
              > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
              kinda stopped the
              > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
              how you stopped it if you
              > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
              ends.

              Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
              down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
              twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
              ventilation a wee bit.

              Shane "Mirage"...