Mirage...hammock and quilt length

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 3:13 PM
      Mirage,

      Good to hear that 4 feet width will probably be OK.

      Just so you know, I'm 5'10", 160lbs.

      Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your quilt is 84" long while your
      hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around the hammock for the
      end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of the hammock near the end?
      And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would you need to make a
      longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would suffice?

      Thanks,

      -howie

      > Howie,
      >
      > My current system is an 8'x4' (96"x48") cut piece, with whipped
      > ends. The 4' width works great for me, but after many nights in the
      > 8' length, I've determined it's just a might bit short, mostly
      > causing tightness and compression of my feet over the course of the
      > night. It's tolerable, but an extra 6" will probably make it
      > perfect. I'm 5'10" tall, so take that into account when you compare
      > to your own needs/desires.
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1 4:02 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

        > Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your
        quilt is 84" long while your
        > hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around
        the hammock for the
        > end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of
        the hammock near the end?
        > And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would
        you need to make a
        > longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would
        suffice?

        Howie,

        You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
        than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
        of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.

        In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
        to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
        having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
        longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.

        When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
        very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
        occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
        me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
        message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
        making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
        tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
        4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.

        So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
        me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
        feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
        at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
        and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
        whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
        cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
        hammock body.

        Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
        Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
        claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
        progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
        the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
        be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Jeremy
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2 3:40 AM
          Mirage,

          Definately all good info to have, thanks for your willingness to share. It is greatly
          appreciated.

          At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
          or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a dedicated top quilt (did I
          mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

          But I must say, after just walking in from a 28*F night, I'm leaning toward the over/under
          style. I had the hammock stuffed into my old Marmot 0*F Never Summer bag, and was
          toasty the whole night (in fact, too warm at some points..if you can believe it). I probably
          would have even been warmer if it had been able to reach beyond my chest and cover my
          shoulders/neck/head, but I used a down jacket under those parts (albeit still inside the
          hammock) and was OK.

          This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've ever spent in my hammock,
          and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me up, I shot awake, and
          was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm guessing this feeling is
          lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower dimensions of your
          hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt the feeling of
          clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt to blame it on the cold
          I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

          Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a longer quilt if you
          went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the same quilt dimensions
          would suffice?

          The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the hammock did create a
          trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton storage sack that I carry
          everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which kinda stopped the
          draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that, how you stopped it if you
          did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the ends.

          BTW, my previous "low" before speer-style hammocks was 45. That's all I could get out of
          a couple of pads and a sleeping bag inside. Now that I can wrap a sleeping bag around
          the outside, however, I might could push this hammock thing into the teens or single
          didgits with no additional "gear" than I used last night.

          Weight totals: hammock (with all ropes and tree huggers) 10oz
          Sleeping bag: 36oz
          Down jacket: 22oz
          total: 68oz -or- 4.25lbs

          Not bad for just "standard" gear. Can't wait to make some myself to get the weight down
          even more.

          Thanks again,

          -howie

          > Howie,
          >
          > You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
          > than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
          > of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.
          >
          > In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
          > to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
          > having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
          > longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.
          >
          > When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
          > very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
          > occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
          > me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
          > message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
          > making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
          > tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
          > 4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.
          >
          > So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
          > me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
          > feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
          > at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
          > and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
          > whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
          > cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
          > hammock body.
          >
          > Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
          > Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
          > claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
          > progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
          > the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
          > be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2 5:25 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
            <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
            > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
            > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
            > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:

            I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
            > end before
            > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
            > pull taught when
            > occupied.

            I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:

            http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2 7:12 AM
              Right before you whip (or tie, or sheet bend), if you pull the edges
              of the material about 2 or 3 inches on each end, then the fabric at
              the edge is shorter than the fabric in the middle, which cuts down on
              floppy edges. Making sense?

              Bill in Houston

              <rgarling@y...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
              > <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
              > > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
              > > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
              > > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
              > > end before
              > > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
              > > pull taught when
              > > occupied.
              >
              > I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2 9:52 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
                over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
                > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
                dedicated top quilt (did I
                > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

                I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

                I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
                hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
                an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
                aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
                drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
                is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

                > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
                ever spent in my hammock,
                > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
                up, I shot awake, and
                > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
                guessing this feeling is
                > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
                dimensions of your
                > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
                the feeling of
                > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
                to blame it on the cold
                > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

                I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
                stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
                actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
                except on really cold nights.

                Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
                get out in the hills much during the winter months.

                > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
                longer quilt if you
                > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
                same quilt dimensions
                > would suffice?

                Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
                have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
                made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
                out.

                Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
                Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
                avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
                derivatives (ala Risk and others).

                > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
                hammock did create a
                > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
                storage sack that I carry
                > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
                kinda stopped the
                > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
                how you stopped it if you
                > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
                ends.

                Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
                down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
                twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
                ventilation a wee bit.

                Shane "Mirage"...