Re: follow-up on catenary cut hammock body

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      Ray,

      I'm just finishing a shorter hammock right now (8 feet long). While it's still 5 feet wide, I
      think I'll lay in it for a while, undo the whipping, and cut it down to 4 feet to see what
      happens.

      Even when pulling the last 2-3 inches before whipping, it's still limp along the edges. I
      think it may be due, at least in part, to the width of the fabric. I'll report back if and when
      I do cut it down.

      Right now, I'm thinking that if I do cut it down and the edges are still too floppy, I might
      cut catenary curves in the long sides to help tension it.

      I know what you mean about "pocket" os extra fabric with the Asym cut. It didn't occur to
      me until this morning that I experimented with something similar to that a while back.
      Instead of making it a curve, however, I symply cut the hammock body as a paralellogram.
      It did make the sleeping surface really flat, but it was uncomfortably flat. I abandond the
      idea after spending a night after the test in my pre-Asym HH UL Backpacker. So much
      more comfortable.

      -howie

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52 inches. I
      > do not miss the extra fabric at all.

      > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed end before
      > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to pull taught when
      > occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut didn't help tighten
      > the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more noticeable
      > pockets of fabric at the foot and head.
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

        > Ray,
        >
        > I'm just finishing a shorter hammock right now (8 feet long).
        While it's still 5 feet wide, I
        > think I'll lay in it for a while, undo the whipping, and cut it
        down to 4 feet to see what
        > happens.
        >
        > -howie
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52
        inches. I
        > > do not miss the extra fabric at all.

        Howie,

        My current system is an 8'x4' (96"x48") cut piece, with whipped
        ends. The 4' width works great for me, but after many nights in the
        8' length, I've determined it's just a might bit short, mostly
        causing tightness and compression of my feet over the course of the
        night. It's tolerable, but an extra 6" will probably make it
        perfect. I'm 5'10" tall, so take that into account when you compare
        to your own needs/desires.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • woody woodrich
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
          Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
          facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
          --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy"
          > <jeremy@j...> wrote:
          > > I also would like to experiment with hammock width
          > more.
          > Currently, My hammock is 60"
          > > wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart,
          > straight off of the
          > bolt), but there's a ton of
          > > space in that width that I can't use. I want to
          > see how bringing
          > that width down to 54
          > > inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things.
          >

          > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to
          > about 52 inches. I
          > do not miss the extra fabric at all.
          >

          > >Particularly, I'd like to rid the edges of
          > > "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where
          > these catenary
          > curves may come in to
          > > play.
          >
          > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
          > end before
          > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
          > pull taught when
          > occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut
          > didn't help tighten
          > the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more
          > noticeable
          > pockets of fabric at the foot and head.

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Jeremy
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
            Mirage,

            Good to hear that 4 feet width will probably be OK.

            Just so you know, I'm 5'10", 160lbs.

            Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your quilt is 84" long while your
            hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around the hammock for the
            end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of the hammock near the end?
            And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would you need to make a
            longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would suffice?

            Thanks,

            -howie

            > Howie,
            >
            > My current system is an 8'x4' (96"x48") cut piece, with whipped
            > ends. The 4' width works great for me, but after many nights in the
            > 8' length, I've determined it's just a might bit short, mostly
            > causing tightness and compression of my feet over the course of the
            > night. It's tolerable, but an extra 6" will probably make it
            > perfect. I'm 5'10" tall, so take that into account when you compare
            > to your own needs/desires.
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

              > Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your
              quilt is 84" long while your
              > hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around
              the hammock for the
              > end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of
              the hammock near the end?
              > And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would
              you need to make a
              > longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would
              suffice?

              Howie,

              You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
              than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
              of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.

              In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
              to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
              having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
              longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.

              When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
              very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
              occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
              me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
              message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
              making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
              tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
              4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.

              So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
              me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
              feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
              at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
              and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
              whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
              cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
              hammock body.

              Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
              Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
              claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
              progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
              the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
              be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • Jeremy
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                Mirage,

                Definately all good info to have, thanks for your willingness to share. It is greatly
                appreciated.

                At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
                or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a dedicated top quilt (did I
                mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

                But I must say, after just walking in from a 28*F night, I'm leaning toward the over/under
                style. I had the hammock stuffed into my old Marmot 0*F Never Summer bag, and was
                toasty the whole night (in fact, too warm at some points..if you can believe it). I probably
                would have even been warmer if it had been able to reach beyond my chest and cover my
                shoulders/neck/head, but I used a down jacket under those parts (albeit still inside the
                hammock) and was OK.

                This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've ever spent in my hammock,
                and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me up, I shot awake, and
                was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm guessing this feeling is
                lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower dimensions of your
                hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt the feeling of
                clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt to blame it on the cold
                I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

                Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a longer quilt if you
                went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the same quilt dimensions
                would suffice?

                The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the hammock did create a
                trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton storage sack that I carry
                everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which kinda stopped the
                draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that, how you stopped it if you
                did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the ends.

                BTW, my previous "low" before speer-style hammocks was 45. That's all I could get out of
                a couple of pads and a sleeping bag inside. Now that I can wrap a sleeping bag around
                the outside, however, I might could push this hammock thing into the teens or single
                didgits with no additional "gear" than I used last night.

                Weight totals: hammock (with all ropes and tree huggers) 10oz
                Sleeping bag: 36oz
                Down jacket: 22oz
                total: 68oz -or- 4.25lbs

                Not bad for just "standard" gear. Can't wait to make some myself to get the weight down
                even more.

                Thanks again,

                -howie

                > Howie,
                >
                > You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
                > than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
                > of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.
                >
                > In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
                > to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
                > having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
                > longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.
                >
                > When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
                > very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
                > occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
                > me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
                > message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
                > making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
                > tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
                > 4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.
                >
                > So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
                > me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
                > feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
                > at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
                > and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
                > whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
                > cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
                > hammock body.
                >
                > Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
                > Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
                > claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
                > progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
                > the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
                > be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.
                >
                > Shane "Mirage"...
              • Ray Garlington
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
                  <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
                  > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
                  > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
                  > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:

                  I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
                  > end before
                  > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
                  > pull taught when
                  > occupied.

                  I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:

                  http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Right before you whip (or tie, or sheet bend), if you pull the edges
                    of the material about 2 or 3 inches on each end, then the fabric at
                    the edge is shorter than the fabric in the middle, which cuts down on
                    floppy edges. Making sense?

                    Bill in Houston

                    <rgarling@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
                    > <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
                    > > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
                    > > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
                    > > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
                    > > end before
                    > > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
                    > > pull taught when
                    > > occupied.
                    >
                    > I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
                  • Mirage
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                      > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
                      over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
                      > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
                      dedicated top quilt (did I
                      > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

                      I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

                      I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
                      hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
                      an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
                      aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
                      drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
                      is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

                      > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
                      ever spent in my hammock,
                      > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
                      up, I shot awake, and
                      > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
                      guessing this feeling is
                      > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
                      dimensions of your
                      > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
                      the feeling of
                      > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
                      to blame it on the cold
                      > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

                      I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
                      stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
                      actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
                      except on really cold nights.

                      Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
                      get out in the hills much during the winter months.

                      > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
                      longer quilt if you
                      > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
                      same quilt dimensions
                      > would suffice?

                      Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
                      have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
                      made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
                      out.

                      Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
                      Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
                      avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
                      derivatives (ala Risk and others).

                      > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
                      hammock did create a
                      > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
                      storage sack that I carry
                      > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
                      kinda stopped the
                      > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
                      how you stopped it if you
                      > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
                      ends.

                      Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
                      down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
                      twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
                      ventilation a wee bit.

                      Shane "Mirage"...