Re: follow-up on catenary cut hammock body

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

      > There was some discussion a while back on cutting the actual
      hammock body with
      > catenary curves to enhance its lay.

      I messed with various cuts. If you are going for a minimal weight,
      minimal length hammock it is probably worth experimenting a little
      with different shapes; however, I'm convinced that some extra length
      is worth the minimal extra weight. If you add this extra length,
      you don't really need a fancy shape for the bottom.

      If you are about 6' and below, 114" between the knots with a 100"
      ridge distance give a very comfortable hammock without worrying
      about a precise shape.

      http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

        > There was some discussion a while back on cutting the actual
        hammock body with
        > catenary curves to enhance its lay.

        > It's been a while since any of this was discussed, so I just
        wanted to follow up on these
        > ideas to see if anyone was still using them, experimenting with
        them, or if any general
        > consensus had been reached for or against them.
        >
        > -howie

        Jeremy,

        I've not actually experimented with this yet. The drawing was just
        noodling of ideas. I've been pretty busy at work and home, and
        lately tuning my cooking system to some new equipment (got a Snow
        Peak Ti Trek .7L pot for Christmas and still trying to build the
        right alcohol stove and pot cozy to go with it) and food
        (http://plentifulpantry.com/).

        If I get around to it first, I'll report my findings, otherwise, let
        us know how it works if you try it.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Jeremy
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
          Ray,

          Thanks for the quick reply. My current homemade delight uses a 100" ridgecord with 120"
          of fabric total, which is the dimensions of my old (and comfy) HH ultralight backpacker
          (non Asym). I've seen that Speer Hammocks tend to be shorter than Hennessy's, so I
          would like to begin experimenting with shorter lengths to find something that's lighter,
          and still just as comfortable.

          I also would like to experiment with hammock width more. Currently, My hammock is 60"
          wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart, straight off of the bolt), but there's a ton of
          space in that width that I can't use. I want to see how bringing that width down to 54
          inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things. Particularly, I'd like to rid the edges of
          "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where these catenary curves may come in to
          play.

          I haven't been able to find the 1.1oz on the $1 rack lately, so I asked this question to see if
          anyone else had been experimenting so I could save what I have left as long as I can (I'd
          guess about 30 yds total).

          Doing some quick math on HH, it seems the ratio of hammock length to ridgeline length
          changes. The longer the hammock, the longer, even in proportion, the ridgeline.

          I've been using 3/32 round nylon cord for the whipping, and it's been working well. I use
          about 20 inches of cord per whip, which creates a whip of about 1-1.5 inches long.

          -howie

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@y...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There was some discussion a while back on cutting the actual
          > hammock body with
          > > catenary curves to enhance its lay.
          >

          > I messed with various cuts. If you are going for a minimal weight,
          > minimal length hammock it is probably worth experimenting a little
          > with different shapes; however, I'm convinced that some extra length
          > is worth the minimal extra weight. If you add this extra length,
          > you don't really need a fancy shape for the bottom.
          >
          > If you are about 6' and below, 114" between the knots with a 100"
          > ridge distance give a very comfortable hammock without worrying
          > about a precise shape.
          >
          > http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
            You can do rapid prototyping with the heavy cheap stuff. Then when
            proportions are right, use the good stuff.

            Ralph

            On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:38:05 -0000, Jeremy <jeremy@...> wrote:

            > Ray,
            >
            > Thanks for the quick reply. My current homemade delight uses a 100"
            > ridgecord with 120"
            > of fabric total, which is the dimensions of my old (and comfy) HH ultralight
            > backpacker
            > (non Asym). I've seen that Speer Hammocks tend to be shorter than
            > Hennessy's, so I
            > would like to begin experimenting with shorter lengths to find something
            > that's lighter,
            > and still just as comfortable.
            >
            > I also would like to experiment with hammock width more. Currently, My
            > hammock is 60"
            > wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart, straight off of the bolt), but
            > there's a ton of
            > space in that width that I can't use. I want to see how bringing that width
            > down to 54
            > inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things. Particularly, I'd like to
            > rid the edges of
            > "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where these catenary curves may
            > come in to
            > play.
            >
            > I haven't been able to find the 1.1oz on the $1 rack lately, so I asked this
            > question to see if
            > anyone else had been experimenting so I could save what I have left as long
            > as I can (I'd
            > guess about 30 yds total).
            >
            > Doing some quick math on HH, it seems the ratio of hammock length to
            > ridgeline length
            > changes. The longer the hammock, the longer, even in proportion, the
            > ridgeline.
            >
            > I've been using 3/32 round nylon cord for the whipping, and it's been
            > working well. I use
            > about 20 inches of cord per whip, which creates a whip of about 1-1.5 inches
            > long.
            >
            > -howie
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There was some discussion a while back on cutting the actual
            > > hammock body with
            > > > catenary curves to enhance its lay.
            > >

            > > I messed with various cuts. If you are going for a minimal weight,
            > > minimal length hammock it is probably worth experimenting a little
            > > with different shapes; however, I'm convinced that some extra length
            > > is worth the minimal extra weight. If you add this extra length,
            > > you don't really need a fancy shape for the bottom.
            > >
            > > If you are about 6' and below, 114" between the knots with a 100"
            > > ridge distance give a very comfortable hammock without worrying
            > > about a precise shape.
            > >
            > > http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Jeremy
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28, 2005
              Shane,

              Thanks for the quick reply. If I do try it, I will certainly share my findings as well. I want to
              try a shorter hammock, so maybe I'll make 4 different variations.

              96 x 60, no catenary cuts
              96 x 60, catenary cuts
              96 x 48, no canteanry cuts
              96 x 48, catenary cuts

              all with a ridgeline of 84 inches.

              It's a good thing hammocks are quick to make :D

              -howie

              > If I get around to it first, I'll report my findings, otherwise, let
              > us know how it works if you try it.
              >
              > Shane "Mirage"...
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
                > I also would like to experiment with hammock width more.
                Currently, My hammock is 60"
                > wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart, straight off of the
                bolt), but there's a ton of
                > space in that width that I can't use. I want to see how bringing
                that width down to 54
                > inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things.

                I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52 inches. I
                do not miss the extra fabric at all.

                >Particularly, I'd like to rid the edges of
                > "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where these catenary
                curves may come in to
                > play.

                I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed end before
                whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to pull taught when
                occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut didn't help tighten
                the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more noticeable
                pockets of fabric at the foot and head.
              • Jeremy
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                  Ray,

                  I'm just finishing a shorter hammock right now (8 feet long). While it's still 5 feet wide, I
                  think I'll lay in it for a while, undo the whipping, and cut it down to 4 feet to see what
                  happens.

                  Even when pulling the last 2-3 inches before whipping, it's still limp along the edges. I
                  think it may be due, at least in part, to the width of the fabric. I'll report back if and when
                  I do cut it down.

                  Right now, I'm thinking that if I do cut it down and the edges are still too floppy, I might
                  cut catenary curves in the long sides to help tension it.

                  I know what you mean about "pocket" os extra fabric with the Asym cut. It didn't occur to
                  me until this morning that I experimented with something similar to that a while back.
                  Instead of making it a curve, however, I symply cut the hammock body as a paralellogram.
                  It did make the sleeping surface really flat, but it was uncomfortably flat. I abandond the
                  idea after spending a night after the test in my pre-Asym HH UL Backpacker. So much
                  more comfortable.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                    > Ray,
                    >
                    > I'm just finishing a shorter hammock right now (8 feet long).
                    While it's still 5 feet wide, I
                    > think I'll lay in it for a while, undo the whipping, and cut it
                    down to 4 feet to see what
                    > happens.
                    >
                    > -howie
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                    <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52
                    inches. I
                    > > do not miss the extra fabric at all.

                    Howie,

                    My current system is an 8'x4' (96"x48") cut piece, with whipped
                    ends. The 4' width works great for me, but after many nights in the
                    8' length, I've determined it's just a might bit short, mostly
                    causing tightness and compression of my feet over the course of the
                    night. It's tolerable, but an extra 6" will probably make it
                    perfect. I'm 5'10" tall, so take that into account when you compare
                    to your own needs/desires.

                    Shane "Mirage"...
                  • woody woodrich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                      Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
                      facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
                      --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy"
                      > <jeremy@j...> wrote:
                      > > I also would like to experiment with hammock width
                      > more.
                      > Currently, My hammock is 60"
                      > > wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart,
                      > straight off of the
                      > bolt), but there's a ton of
                      > > space in that width that I can't use. I want to
                      > see how bringing
                      > that width down to 54
                      > > inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things.
                      >

                      > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to
                      > about 52 inches. I
                      > do not miss the extra fabric at all.
                      >

                      > >Particularly, I'd like to rid the edges of
                      > > "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where
                      > these catenary
                      > curves may come in to
                      > > play.
                      >
                      > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
                      > end before
                      > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
                      > pull taught when
                      > occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut
                      > didn't help tighten
                      > the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more
                      > noticeable
                      > pockets of fabric at the foot and head.

                      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                    • Jeremy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                        Mirage,

                        Good to hear that 4 feet width will probably be OK.

                        Just so you know, I'm 5'10", 160lbs.

                        Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your quilt is 84" long while your
                        hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around the hammock for the
                        end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of the hammock near the end?
                        And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would you need to make a
                        longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would suffice?

                        Thanks,

                        -howie

                        > Howie,
                        >
                        > My current system is an 8'x4' (96"x48") cut piece, with whipped
                        > ends. The 4' width works great for me, but after many nights in the
                        > 8' length, I've determined it's just a might bit short, mostly
                        > causing tightness and compression of my feet over the course of the
                        > night. It's tolerable, but an extra 6" will probably make it
                        > perfect. I'm 5'10" tall, so take that into account when you compare
                        > to your own needs/desires.
                        >
                        > Shane "Mirage"...
                      • Mirage
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                          > Your post raises an interesting question for me, however. Your
                          quilt is 84" long while your
                          > hammock is 96" long, correct? Does the quilt just bunch up around
                          the hammock for the
                          > end 6 inches on each side? If so, doesn't it limit the spread of
                          the hammock near the end?
                          > And if you went to a longer hammock (even just 6" longer), would
                          you need to make a
                          > longer quilt, or do you think that the current length of 84" would
                          suffice?

                          Howie,

                          You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
                          than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
                          of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.

                          In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
                          to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
                          having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
                          longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.

                          When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
                          very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
                          occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
                          me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
                          message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
                          making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
                          tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
                          4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.

                          So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
                          me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
                          feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
                          at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
                          and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
                          whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
                          cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
                          hammock body.

                          Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
                          Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
                          claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
                          progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
                          the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
                          be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.

                          Shane "Mirage"...
                        • Jeremy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                            Mirage,

                            Definately all good info to have, thanks for your willingness to share. It is greatly
                            appreciated.

                            At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
                            or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a dedicated top quilt (did I
                            mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

                            But I must say, after just walking in from a 28*F night, I'm leaning toward the over/under
                            style. I had the hammock stuffed into my old Marmot 0*F Never Summer bag, and was
                            toasty the whole night (in fact, too warm at some points..if you can believe it). I probably
                            would have even been warmer if it had been able to reach beyond my chest and cover my
                            shoulders/neck/head, but I used a down jacket under those parts (albeit still inside the
                            hammock) and was OK.

                            This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've ever spent in my hammock,
                            and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me up, I shot awake, and
                            was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm guessing this feeling is
                            lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower dimensions of your
                            hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt the feeling of
                            clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt to blame it on the cold
                            I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

                            Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a longer quilt if you
                            went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the same quilt dimensions
                            would suffice?

                            The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the hammock did create a
                            trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton storage sack that I carry
                            everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which kinda stopped the
                            draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that, how you stopped it if you
                            did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the ends.

                            BTW, my previous "low" before speer-style hammocks was 45. That's all I could get out of
                            a couple of pads and a sleeping bag inside. Now that I can wrap a sleeping bag around
                            the outside, however, I might could push this hammock thing into the teens or single
                            didgits with no additional "gear" than I used last night.

                            Weight totals: hammock (with all ropes and tree huggers) 10oz
                            Sleeping bag: 36oz
                            Down jacket: 22oz
                            total: 68oz -or- 4.25lbs

                            Not bad for just "standard" gear. Can't wait to make some myself to get the weight down
                            even more.

                            Thanks again,

                            -howie

                            > Howie,
                            >
                            > You are correct in your observation, in fact the quilt is shorter
                            > than the hammock and when applied, is actually ~4-6" to the inside
                            > of each end of the hammock knot/whipping.
                            >
                            > In practice, since the Hammock body is not perfectly straight (end
                            > to end) when hung, it is actually shorter than 8', plus the quilt,
                            > having a larger girth than the hammock with me in it and being 14"
                            > longer than me, can still accomodate me comfortably.
                            >
                            > When I get in the hammock, w/out the quilt, the head and feet are
                            > very tight and narrow for the first 6-8 inches, so I don't really
                            > occupy that part of the hammock anyway. The quilt still fits around
                            > me completely w/ no constriction, except, as noted in an earlier
                            > message, for the shoulder to hip girth. That's why I am thinking of
                            > making making a "wedge" insert. I could make the bags wider, or
                            > tapered at either end, more like the peapod I suspect, but I've got
                            > 4 bags I've made this way, and want to get them working better.
                            >
                            > So, short story is yes, you are correct, but i'ts not an issue, for
                            > me, based on my experience. It was not an intentional design
                            > feature by any means, but it works never-the-less. The drawstring
                            > at the ends gets pulled through the grossgrain loops at the corners,
                            > and then tied in a slip knot on the hammock rope, just above the
                            > whipped end. This keeps it from sliding laterally. I also do not
                            > cinch the ends down tightly, just enough to close the gap around the
                            > hammock body.
                            >
                            > Anyway, long post that probably adds more confusion than clarity.
                            > Keep asking though. I don't mind the questions and by no means
                            > claim to have the end-all, be-all solution, just one step in a
                            > progressive iteration that works for me right now. Besides, I love
                            > the creative process of design and experimentation. No offense will
                            > be taken to any questions asked in sincere curiostiy.
                            >
                            > Shane "Mirage"...
                          • Ray Garlington
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
                              <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
                              > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
                              > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
                              > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:

                              I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
                              > end before
                              > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
                              > pull taught when
                              > occupied.

                              I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:

                              http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
                            • zippydooda
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                Right before you whip (or tie, or sheet bend), if you pull the edges
                                of the material about 2 or 3 inches on each end, then the fabric at
                                the edge is shorter than the fabric in the middle, which cuts down on
                                floppy edges. Making sense?

                                Bill in Houston

                                <rgarling@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, woody woodrich
                                > <fatherrules@y...> wrote:
                                > > Ray, what do you mean when you say you 'pull out'
                                > > facric before whipping? Thanks, Woody in DC
                                > > --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed
                                > > end before
                                > > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to
                                > > pull taught when
                                > > occupied.
                                >
                                > I put a drawing in the photo section that might help:
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/46ctw
                              • Mirage
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                                  > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
                                  over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
                                  > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
                                  dedicated top quilt (did I
                                  > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

                                  I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

                                  I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
                                  hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
                                  an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
                                  aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
                                  drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
                                  is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

                                  > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
                                  ever spent in my hammock,
                                  > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
                                  up, I shot awake, and
                                  > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
                                  guessing this feeling is
                                  > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
                                  dimensions of your
                                  > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
                                  the feeling of
                                  > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
                                  to blame it on the cold
                                  > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

                                  I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
                                  stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
                                  actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
                                  except on really cold nights.

                                  Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
                                  get out in the hills much during the winter months.

                                  > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
                                  longer quilt if you
                                  > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
                                  same quilt dimensions
                                  > would suffice?

                                  Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
                                  have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
                                  made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
                                  out.

                                  Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
                                  Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
                                  avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
                                  derivatives (ala Risk and others).

                                  > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
                                  hammock did create a
                                  > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
                                  storage sack that I carry
                                  > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
                                  kinda stopped the
                                  > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
                                  how you stopped it if you
                                  > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
                                  ends.

                                  Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
                                  down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
                                  twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
                                  ventilation a wee bit.

                                  Shane "Mirage"...