Re: About to overnight in my new HH Expl. Ultra. for first time, any advice?

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
      Yeah, spend your pre-first (zeroed?) night in the hammock outside as
      close to home as you can put it up. I don't have any experience with
      the Thermarests, been using an evazote pad myself (will cobble up
      some hanging insulation once I can walk around outside again). It
      worked well enough, but having the insulation underneath the hammock
      has got to be sooo much more comfortable.

      Anyway, I'd guess the rubbermat will work better, also - but if you
      try the overnighter close to home, you can just carry both (or even
      additional stuff) to where you hammock, including a space blanket
      and an additional blanket, and just try it out. You may not sleep
      too well until you've figured out what works for you, but you'll
      sleep that much better the first night out on the trail, because you
      already know! Plus, if it doesn't work out at all, you can just go
      back inside and sleep in your bed. Having that possibility did
      wonders for my peace of mind the first night I tried my hammock. (I
      was still so exited I could barely sleep, even though nothing went
      wrong at all.)
      ;-)

      André

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kane Mortlock"
      <john851@d...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I bought a Hennessey Explorer Ultralight recently. I've put it up
      > just enough times for my bum not to hit the ground (3, it should
      > have take 2, but anyway)...
      >
      > My first overnight should be the weekend coming up or thereabouts.
      > The night time temperature shouldn't get below about 15C (59F).
      I've
      > got a lightish sleeping bag (probably rated about 0-5C (32-41F)
      and
      > a thermarest 3/4 (that is not a new grippy one), or a standard
      full
      > length rubber sleepmat.
      >
      > At the moment I'm leaning towards taking the rubber mat, because
      it
      > is lighter and I don't need air cushioning for comfort when I'm
      not
      > lying on the ground. I'm presuming temperature shouldn't be a
      > problem.
      >
      > Are there any tips/tricks etc. that you can offer a first timer
      > BEFORE he goes out for his first night in the HH?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Kane Mortlock.
    • Kane Mortlock
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        Thanks Andre,

        that's good advice.

        I might try it out pretty close to my car...