About to overnight in my new HH Expl. Ultra. for first time, any advice?

  • Kane Mortlock
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
      Hi all,

      I bought a Hennessey Explorer Ultralight recently. I've put it up
      just enough times for my bum not to hit the ground (3, it should
      have take 2, but anyway)...

      My first overnight should be the weekend coming up or thereabouts.
      The night time temperature shouldn't get below about 15C (59F). I've
      got a lightish sleeping bag (probably rated about 0-5C (32-41F) and
      a thermarest 3/4 (that is not a new grippy one), or a standard full
      length rubber sleepmat.

      At the moment I'm leaning towards taking the rubber mat, because it
      is lighter and I don't need air cushioning for comfort when I'm not
      lying on the ground. I'm presuming temperature shouldn't be a
      problem.

      Are there any tips/tricks etc. that you can offer a first timer
      BEFORE he goes out for his first night in the HH?

      Thanks in advance,

      Kane Mortlock.
    • AndrĂ© Corterier
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
        Yeah, spend your pre-first (zeroed?) night in the hammock outside as
        close to home as you can put it up. I don't have any experience with
        the Thermarests, been using an evazote pad myself (will cobble up
        some hanging insulation once I can walk around outside again). It
        worked well enough, but having the insulation underneath the hammock
        has got to be sooo much more comfortable.

        Anyway, I'd guess the rubbermat will work better, also - but if you
        try the overnighter close to home, you can just carry both (or even
        additional stuff) to where you hammock, including a space blanket
        and an additional blanket, and just try it out. You may not sleep
        too well until you've figured out what works for you, but you'll
        sleep that much better the first night out on the trail, because you
        already know! Plus, if it doesn't work out at all, you can just go
        back inside and sleep in your bed. Having that possibility did
        wonders for my peace of mind the first night I tried my hammock. (I
        was still so exited I could barely sleep, even though nothing went
        wrong at all.)
        ;-)

        André

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kane Mortlock"
        <john851@d...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I bought a Hennessey Explorer Ultralight recently. I've put it up
        > just enough times for my bum not to hit the ground (3, it should
        > have take 2, but anyway)...
        >
        > My first overnight should be the weekend coming up or thereabouts.
        > The night time temperature shouldn't get below about 15C (59F).
        I've
        > got a lightish sleeping bag (probably rated about 0-5C (32-41F)
        and
        > a thermarest 3/4 (that is not a new grippy one), or a standard
        full
        > length rubber sleepmat.
        >
        > At the moment I'm leaning towards taking the rubber mat, because
        it
        > is lighter and I don't need air cushioning for comfort when I'm
        not
        > lying on the ground. I'm presuming temperature shouldn't be a
        > problem.
        >
        > Are there any tips/tricks etc. that you can offer a first timer
        > BEFORE he goes out for his first night in the HH?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Kane Mortlock.
      • Kane Mortlock
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
          Thanks Andre,

          that's good advice.

          I might try it out pretty close to my car...