Re: hammock through sleeping bag

  • wootres4
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 25 5:53 PM
      gerzson,

      You beat me to the punch. My eagles nest outfitters doublenest
      setup comes as hammock, bug net, and rain fly separately. The idea
      of slipping the sleeping bag around the hammock was something I was
      going to try this spring when the mercury rose a little higher.
      The hanging bug net solves the issue of annoying critters so flesh
      exposure isn't an issue in summer time either.

      I am curious; this forum seems to surround the Hennessey type set up
      with the hammock/net integrated design. Does my set up have
      problems on the trail? I can find very few reviews on the
      doublenest and it is not discussed in this forum that I can find.

      CHRIS

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many
      good
      > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
      >
      > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
      > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
      > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
      > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So
      the
      > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at
      the
      > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
      > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
      > method for about 11 months and it's working.
      > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
      of course.
      > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
      > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
      >
      > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping
      bags
      > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry
      the
      > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
      >
      > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using.
      Not
      > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
      >

      > --
      >
      > gerzson
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28 10:33 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

        > I finally put my instructions on the web.
        >
        > Ok, so here ya go:
        >
        > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/Under-Over-
        Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html

        > OR
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/45fz9

        I realized that my instructions did not have a Materials or cut list.

        I have updated the instructions with that info, and the cost
        estimates as well.

        Eventually, I'll get some pictures in there too.

        Shane "Mirage"...