Re: Mirage...more about your system

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

      > Mirage,
      > You and Rick both continually amaze me with your creative designs.
      >

      > Do you still use a quilt in the hammock, or does your green
      underquilt work as your only
      > insulation?
      >
      > How "low" can you go with that underquilt?
      >

      > Thanks!
      > -howie

      I have been down to ~28F with no additional bags or quilts, but I
      was wearing polypro lonjohns, smartwool socks, fleece pants, a micro
      fleece balaclava and a Kennebec pullover (ala thru-hiker.com) ontop
      of my torso (not wearing it, just laid on top). Not cold, and maybe
      a bit warm until early morning, then I was just perfect.

      Usually though, in polypro lonjohns, socks and a balaclava, with the
      Kennebec on top, I'm good down to around 32-35F. My Kennebec
      basically serves as a torso blanket on top of me.

      I'm about to start on a new addition to the over/under quilt that
      for lack of a better name I call the wedge. As I noted in an
      earlier post, the quilts I have made to date were a bit tight on the
      girth, mostly due to construction from an unseamed lenght of
      ripstop, usually 56-60" wide. The "wedge" will be kind of a diamond
      shapped <> mini quilt with hook/loop on it's sides. This will
      extend the girth just enough to eliminate the "tightness" I've been
      struggling with.

      I may try making one the is rectangular, but with the hook/look laid
      out in the diamond shape, resulting is some double layer overlap on
      the inside.

      I don't do alot of cold weather hiking/camping, but a few of my
      nights in the Oregon Cascades have dipped into the low 30's high
      20's and I'm not the worse for the wear of it.

      As always, if it does get to cold, I drop down to the ground with my
      sitpad (ridgerest cut to 24"x27") and packpack (GG VT) as padding,
      pitch the tarp low and burry myself in the quilt. Safety over
      comfort.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Jeremy
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
        Very cool! Thanks for the info.

        btw, what are the approximate dimensions of your quilt? loft?

        It's just a rectangle with the ends drawn up, right?

        And what does it weigh?

        If you can't tell, I'm considering making my own Mirage system :-)

        Thanks!
        -howie

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mirage,
        > > You and Rick both continually amaze me with your creative designs.
        > >

        > > Do you still use a quilt in the hammock, or does your green
        > underquilt work as your only
        > > insulation?
        > >
        > > How "low" can you go with that underquilt?
        > >

        > > Thanks!
        > > -howie
        >
        > I have been down to ~28F with no additional bags or quilts, but I
        > was wearing polypro lonjohns, smartwool socks, fleece pants, a micro
        > fleece balaclava and a Kennebec pullover (ala thru-hiker.com) ontop
        > of my torso (not wearing it, just laid on top). Not cold, and maybe
        > a bit warm until early morning, then I was just perfect.
        >
        > Usually though, in polypro lonjohns, socks and a balaclava, with the
        > Kennebec on top, I'm good down to around 32-35F. My Kennebec
        > basically serves as a torso blanket on top of me.
        >
        > I'm about to start on a new addition to the over/under quilt that
        > for lack of a better name I call the wedge. As I noted in an
        > earlier post, the quilts I have made to date were a bit tight on the
        > girth, mostly due to construction from an unseamed lenght of
        > ripstop, usually 56-60" wide. The "wedge" will be kind of a diamond
        > shapped <> mini quilt with hook/loop on it's sides. This will
        > extend the girth just enough to eliminate the "tightness" I've been
        > struggling with.
        >
        > I may try making one the is rectangular, but with the hook/look laid
        > out in the diamond shape, resulting is some double layer overlap on
        > the inside.
        >
        > I don't do alot of cold weather hiking/camping, but a few of my
        > nights in the Oregon Cascades have dipped into the low 30's high
        > 20's and I'm not the worse for the wear of it.
        >
        > As always, if it does get to cold, I drop down to the ground with my
        > sitpad (ridgerest cut to 24"x27") and packpack (GG VT) as padding,
        > pitch the tarp low and burry myself in the quilt. Safety over
        > comfort.
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

          > Very cool! Thanks for the info.

          My pleasure. The whole thing can be seen in the image sequence
          here: http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem

          > btw, what are the approximate dimensions of your quilt? loft?

          It's finished dimensions are 7'x4.5' (84"x54")

          > It's just a rectangle with the ends drawn up, right?

          Hook on one long edge, loop on the other, drawcord at each end
          (center pull), and Gross Grain loops at all 4 corners, 3 more on
          each long side and one centered at the foot and head ends.

          I use the loops with mitten hooks for a variety of configurations,
          including under my Hennessy.

          > And what does it weigh?

          My Primaloft ones are 44oz finished, the down one is 33oz.

          > If you can't tell, I'm considering making my own Mirage system :-)

          I finally put my instructions on the web.

          <DISCLAIMER>
          These instructions include no pics (yet) and have not been tested
          without me being present to make up for any deficiencies in them.
          I've only shared them with one other person and have no feed back
          yet on thier readability or how easy they are to follow and produce
          a working quilt.

          Use at your own risk, but if you use them, please send me edits or
          corrections (or praise, that always feels good ;)

          Please do not reproduce or redistribute them w/out approriate credit.
          </DISCLAIMER>

          Ok, so here ya go:

          http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/Under-Over-
          Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html

          OR

          http://tinyurl.com/45fz9
        • wootres4
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
            gerzson,

            You beat me to the punch. My eagles nest outfitters doublenest
            setup comes as hammock, bug net, and rain fly separately. The idea
            of slipping the sleeping bag around the hammock was something I was
            going to try this spring when the mercury rose a little higher.
            The hanging bug net solves the issue of annoying critters so flesh
            exposure isn't an issue in summer time either.

            I am curious; this forum seems to surround the Hennessey type set up
            with the hammock/net integrated design. Does my set up have
            problems on the trail? I can find very few reviews on the
            doublenest and it is not discussed in this forum that I can find.

            CHRIS

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many
            good
            > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
            >
            > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
            > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
            > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
            > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So
            the
            > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at
            the
            > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
            > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
            > method for about 11 months and it's working.
            > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
            of course.
            > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
            > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
            >
            > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping
            bags
            > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry
            the
            > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
            >
            > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using.
            Not
            > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
            >

            > --
            >
            > gerzson
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

              > I finally put my instructions on the web.
              >
              > Ok, so here ya go:
              >
              > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/Under-Over-
              Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html

              > OR
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/45fz9

              I realized that my instructions did not have a Materials or cut list.

              I have updated the instructions with that info, and the cost
              estimates as well.

              Eventually, I'll get some pictures in there too.

              Shane "Mirage"...