hammock through sleeping bag

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hello,

      I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many good
      ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.

      I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
      complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
      sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
      end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
      idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
      head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
      bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
      method for about 11 months and it's working.
      The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end of course.
      After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
      hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).

      No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping bags
      especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
      hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.

      This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
      sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.

      --

      gerzson
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 24, 2005
        Thats basically what a peapod does. (medicanman)I can't recall his
        real name does the same thing with his rectangular WM Ponderosa. he
        reported going down pretty low with this setup. I agree it is a good
        solution. My bags are 3/4 and 1/2 zip so it wont work. I've
        considered cutting a hole in the foot end because the zippers dont go
        down far enough. I would think a bag slighly bigger than most
        tapered down bags, similar in size to a synthetic like the NF Goliath
        would make a great winter setup. On problem with the setup is summer
        when sketters are bad. You end up wanting to sleep out from under the
        covers and get eat up by sketters. even a light bag set up this way
        would still leave the face exposed. Got any pics of your homemade
        bag? How do you deal with skeeters in the spring, summer and fall?

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many good
        > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
        >
        > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
        > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
        > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
        > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
        > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
        > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
        > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
        > method for about 11 months and it's working.
        > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
        of course.
        > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
        > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
        >
        > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping bags
        > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
        > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
        >
        > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
        > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
        >

        > --
        >
        > gerzson
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 24, 2005
          Elegant.

          Ralph

          On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:23:18 +0200, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many good
          > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
          >
          > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
          > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
          > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
          > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
          > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
          > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
          > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
          > method for about 11 months and it's working.
          > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end of
          > course.
          > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
          > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
          >
          > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping bags
          > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
          > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
          >
          > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
          > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
          >

          > --
          >
          > gerzson
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 24, 2005
            hmm....posted a reply over an hour ago. Anyways, Your hamemade bag
            sounds great. The peapod is basically the same thing. Medicanman
            uses a WM Ponderosa like this as well. I haven't seen how they deal
            with skeeters in milder weather though. That is what I'm wanting to
            find out. I have 3 candidates for surgery. 2 are down bags that are
            fairly roomy one a 0 F and one a 30 F but one is 1/2 zip and the
            other 3/4 so I'll have to cut a place in the foot end. also the hood
            is basically usless so I think it just needs cut off. I have a
            synthetic 20 F which is very roomy, and has a zipper at the foot end
            but bug netting in the way. soon as I can (after I finish testing it
            for BGT) I'm gona modify this one.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many good
            > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
            >
            > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
            > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
            > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
            > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
            > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
            > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
            > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
            > method for about 11 months and it's working.
            > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
            of course.
            > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
            > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
            >
            > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping bags
            > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
            > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
            >
            > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
            > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
            >

            > --
            >
            > gerzson
          • NiytOwl
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
              I was wondering if someone had tried this already. It's good to know
              that it does work. My modification to the idea would be to add
              zippers to the two sides of the hammock itself and entirely split the
              bag. That way each half would attach to the hammock independently
              allowing you to use it in a Hennessy or other bug-netted hammock. The
              drawbacks are:

              1. You would have to determine if you prefer to sleep cradle-style or
              use the "sweet spot".

              2. You have to account for stretch in the hammock or you'll eventually
              stress the zippers.

              Having the bag zip to the hammock would eliminate cold spots at the
              sides in the winter, allow the use of different bags for varying
              conditions (even a heavy bag on the bottom and lighter on top), and
              then going bagless for the hot summer months.
            • gerzson
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                Here are some pics of this setup.
                As you can see in 1.jpg the hood is not useless. I have used it to
                cover my head (turned the bag back side up).
                It is not well focused hope you understand.

                In 2.jpg the foot end can be seen.

                3 and 4 just the empty hammock with bag.

                As for bug nets I have not used so far (because I travel most in the
                colder mountainous regions) but I don't see any problem with it. Just
                hang it over as I've seen some pics here in this list.

                gerzson

                On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:48:17 -0000, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                > Thats basically what a peapod does. (medicanman)I can't recall his
                > real name does the same thing with his rectangular WM Ponderosa. he
                > reported going down pretty low with this setup. I agree it is a good
                > solution. My bags are 3/4 and 1/2 zip so it wont work. I've
                > considered cutting a hole in the foot end because the zippers dont go
                > down far enough. I would think a bag slighly bigger than most
                > tapered down bags, similar in size to a synthetic like the NF Goliath
                > would make a great winter setup. On problem with the setup is summer
                > when sketters are bad. You end up wanting to sleep out from under the
                > covers and get eat up by sketters. even a light bag set up this way
                > would still leave the face exposed. Got any pics of your homemade
                > bag? How do you deal with skeeters in the spring, summer and fall?
                >
                > Coy Boy
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many good
                > > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
                > >
                > > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
                > > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
                > > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
                > > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
                > > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
                > > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
                > > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
                > > method for about 11 months and it's working.
                > > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
                > of course.
                > > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
                > > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
                > >
                > > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping bags
                > > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
                > > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
                > >
                > > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
                > > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
                > >

                > > --
                > >
                > > gerzson

                gerzson
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                  Thanks gerzson,

                  BTW, I cant open the attachments. dont think the group allows it (for
                  virus protection). You can make a photo alblum in the photos or
                  upload a pic to files. If you do post a note with folder or file name.

                  Yep, fliped over it might be useful but I think i would prefer my
                  bomber style hat than breating in the bag hood. Also, my 0 deg down
                  bag is 60/40 so the bottom dont have near as much down. Used this way
                  the top and bottom need to be the same for a given temp.

                • gerzson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                    The group settings say that it's allowed to post attachments.

                    However the album is called "hammock through bag" in the group photos area.

                    The url in my browser is:

                    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:48:45 -0000, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks gerzson,
                    >
                    > BTW, I cant open the attachments. dont think the group allows it (for
                    > virus protection). You can make a photo alblum in the photos or
                    > upload a pic to files. If you do post a note with folder or file name.
                    >
                    > Yep, fliped over it might be useful but I think i would prefer my
                    > bomber style hat than breating in the bag hood. Also, my 0 deg down
                    > bag is 60/40 so the bottom dont have near as much down. Used this way
                    > the top and bottom need to be the same for a given temp.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
                    > > Here are some pics of this setup.
                    > > As you can see in 1.jpg the hood is not useless. I have used it to
                    > > cover my head (turned the bag back side up).
                    > > It is not well focused hope you understand.
                    > >
                    > > In 2.jpg the foot end can be seen.
                    > >
                    > > 3 and 4 just the empty hammock with bag.
                    > >
                    > > As for bug nets I have not used so far (because I travel most in the
                    > > colder mountainous regions) but I don't see any problem with it. Just
                    > > hang it over as I've seen some pics here in this list.
                    > >
                    > > gerzson
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:48:17 -0000, Coy <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Thats basically what a peapod does. (medicanman)I can't recall his
                    > > > real name does the same thing with his rectangular WM Ponderosa. he
                    > > > reported going down pretty low with this setup. I agree it is a good
                    > > > solution. My bags are 3/4 and 1/2 zip so it wont work. I've
                    > > > considered cutting a hole in the foot end because the zippers dont go
                    > > > down far enough. I would think a bag slighly bigger than most
                    > > > tapered down bags, similar in size to a synthetic like the NF Goliath
                    > > > would make a great winter setup. On problem with the setup is summer
                    > > > when sketters are bad. You end up wanting to sleep out from under the
                    > > > covers and get eat up by sketters. even a light bag set up this way
                    > > > would still leave the face exposed. Got any pics of your homemade
                    > > > bag? How do you deal with skeeters in the spring, summer and fall?
                    > > >
                    > > > Coy Boy

                    > good

                    > > > of course.

                    > sleeping bags
                    > carry the

                    > using. Not

                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > gerzson

                    gerzson
                  • Allen Maddox
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                      I'm in digest, so, the jpg didn't come through for me. I've tried this without success. If you could please sent the jpg directly to me, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to see the difference between what I did wrong and your success.

                      Thanks,

                      Allen M.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                        I can see them now. Thanks! I see you are rigging off a truck.

                        Coy Boy

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
                        > The group settings say that it's allowed to post attachments.
                        >
                        > However the album is called "hammock through bag" in the group
                        photos area.

                        > The url in my browser is:

                        +through+bag&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
                        3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
                        26.src=gr%26.view=t

                      • Debra Weisenstein
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                          I posted some pictures a while ago (this newsgroup, DebW's Photos) of a
                          "bug shirt" bugnet that works perfectly with such a setup. The sleeping
                          bag pulls up from the foot end and the bug shirt pulls down from the
                          head end. The one problem I've had with a hammock through sleeping
                          bag approach is that my shoulders get cold since they are at the edge of
                          the sleeping bag. A torso-sized piece of foam solved that problem, but
                          I'd prefer having insulation below the hammock under shoulders and
                          head.

                          DebW

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > hmm....posted a reply over an hour ago. Anyways, Your hamemade
                          bag
                          > sounds great. The peapod is basically the same thing. Medicanman
                          > uses a WM Ponderosa like this as well. I haven't seen how they deal
                          > with skeeters in milder weather though. That is what I'm wanting to
                          > find out. I have 3 candidates for surgery. 2 are down bags that are
                          > fairly roomy one a 0 F and one a 30 F but one is 1/2 zip and the
                          > other 3/4 so I'll have to cut a place in the foot end. also the hood
                          > is basically usless so I think it just needs cut off. I have a
                          > synthetic 20 F which is very roomy, and has a zipper at the foot end
                          > but bug netting in the way. soon as I can (after I finish testing it
                          > for BGT) I'm gona modify this one.
                          >
                          > Coy Boy
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...>
                          wrote:
                          > > Hello,
                          > >
                          > > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many
                          good
                          > > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
                          > >
                          > > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
                          > > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
                          > > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
                          > > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So the
                          > > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at the
                          > > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
                          > > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
                          > > method for about 11 months and it's working.
                          > > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
                          > of course.
                          > > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
                          > > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
                          > >
                          > > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping
                          bags
                          > > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry the
                          > > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
                          > >
                          > > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using. Not
                          > > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
                          > >

                          > > --
                          > >
                          > > gerzson
                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                            Hey the pictures came through on Gmail?

                            I like the idea, In winter you could stack (nest) a second heavier bag oudside,

                            Ralph
                          • Mirage
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                              Just to add confirmation (as if it was needed) that this works, I
                              use this technique on my two boys hammocks. When we camp out (I
                              made them specially sized hammocks) I use thier smaller, kid sized
                              mummy bags with the hammock pulled through a small hole in the foot
                              (opend with one end of the double zipper).

                              Problems encountered:

                              1. Air gaps at the shoulders and head.
                              2. Bag "sliding" down towards the foot, exacerbating the air gap
                              problem.

                              Solutions:

                              1. Short legnths of line (4' max) used to tie a wad of the mummy
                              hood (put a small rock in the wad if you have problems with the knot
                              slipping off) and tie the other end to the hammock rope/strap with a
                              slip knot or larks head, pull until there the tension draws the bag
                              up to thier back side and shoulders. The also use hooded
                              sweatshirts to keep thier heads warm.

                              2. Do the same thing at the feet (line tied to wad of the foot end
                              and to the hammock line).

                              These workarounds keep the bag in position all night and eliminates
                              the typical drafts.

                              It does complicate egress and entry, until you remember you still
                              have a zipper on the bag! Imangine my frustration at 2am, trying to
                              extricate one son in a hurry so he can go pee. Untying and retying
                              knots under those conditions can send a guy to into anger management
                              treatment. Now I know to use the zipper first.

                              When bugs are an issue, I use a bug net system of my own design:
                              http://tinyurl.com/6a24d

                              Shane "Mirage"...
                            • Dave Bellinski
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005

                                Mirage,

                                With your through sleeping bag, have you experienced any problems with compressing the bottom insulation, and developing cold spots?

                                Light'ning

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bellinski
                                  <dave.bellinski@o...> wrote:
                                  > Mirage,
                                  >
                                  > With your through sleeping bag, have you experienced any problems
                                  with
                                  > compressing the bottom insulation, and developing cold spots?

                                  Well, since it's my boys in there, I can't speak from personal
                                  experience, but I always ask them if they had any cold spot, and
                                  usually check on them once during the night, and never had a
                                  complaint since I implimented the "fixes".

                                  The deal with tying off the foot and head of the bag to the hammock
                                  works because I CAN adjust the tension along the line of the hammock
                                  so that it is not being pulled too tight, nor producing sagging
                                  areas the allow for drafts.

                                  Bear in mind that the bags have lots of girth space still remaining
                                  in proportion to my boys. The times I have personally experienced
                                  compression causing cold spots was when the bag girth was
                                  insuficient for my body size when sleeping diagonal or on my side.
                                  It's this lateral "pulling" on the bag that causes ME the most cold
                                  spots, which means the bag doesn't have the necessary girth for use
                                  in a hammock. It may work fine on the ground, but in the hammock I
                                  find a little extra girth is needed for the way I sleep.

                                  YMMV,

                                  Shane "Mirage"...
                                • Jeremy
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                    Mirage,
                                    You and Rick both continually amaze me with your creative designs.

                                    Do you still use a quilt in the hammock, or does your green underquilt work as your only
                                    insulation?

                                    How "low" can you go with that underquilt?

                                    Thanks!
                                    -howie
                                  • Mirage
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                                      > Mirage,
                                      > You and Rick both continually amaze me with your creative designs.
                                      >

                                      > Do you still use a quilt in the hammock, or does your green
                                      underquilt work as your only
                                      > insulation?
                                      >
                                      > How "low" can you go with that underquilt?
                                      >

                                      > Thanks!
                                      > -howie

                                      I have been down to ~28F with no additional bags or quilts, but I
                                      was wearing polypro lonjohns, smartwool socks, fleece pants, a micro
                                      fleece balaclava and a Kennebec pullover (ala thru-hiker.com) ontop
                                      of my torso (not wearing it, just laid on top). Not cold, and maybe
                                      a bit warm until early morning, then I was just perfect.

                                      Usually though, in polypro lonjohns, socks and a balaclava, with the
                                      Kennebec on top, I'm good down to around 32-35F. My Kennebec
                                      basically serves as a torso blanket on top of me.

                                      I'm about to start on a new addition to the over/under quilt that
                                      for lack of a better name I call the wedge. As I noted in an
                                      earlier post, the quilts I have made to date were a bit tight on the
                                      girth, mostly due to construction from an unseamed lenght of
                                      ripstop, usually 56-60" wide. The "wedge" will be kind of a diamond
                                      shapped <> mini quilt with hook/loop on it's sides. This will
                                      extend the girth just enough to eliminate the "tightness" I've been
                                      struggling with.

                                      I may try making one the is rectangular, but with the hook/look laid
                                      out in the diamond shape, resulting is some double layer overlap on
                                      the inside.

                                      I don't do alot of cold weather hiking/camping, but a few of my
                                      nights in the Oregon Cascades have dipped into the low 30's high
                                      20's and I'm not the worse for the wear of it.

                                      As always, if it does get to cold, I drop down to the ground with my
                                      sitpad (ridgerest cut to 24"x27") and packpack (GG VT) as padding,
                                      pitch the tarp low and burry myself in the quilt. Safety over
                                      comfort.

                                      Shane "Mirage"...
                                    • Jeremy
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                        Very cool! Thanks for the info.

                                        btw, what are the approximate dimensions of your quilt? loft?

                                        It's just a rectangle with the ends drawn up, right?

                                        And what does it weigh?

                                        If you can't tell, I'm considering making my own Mirage system :-)

                                        Thanks!
                                        -howie

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Mirage,
                                        > > You and Rick both continually amaze me with your creative designs.
                                        > >

                                        > > Do you still use a quilt in the hammock, or does your green
                                        > underquilt work as your only
                                        > > insulation?
                                        > >
                                        > > How "low" can you go with that underquilt?
                                        > >

                                        > > Thanks!
                                        > > -howie
                                        >
                                        > I have been down to ~28F with no additional bags or quilts, but I
                                        > was wearing polypro lonjohns, smartwool socks, fleece pants, a micro
                                        > fleece balaclava and a Kennebec pullover (ala thru-hiker.com) ontop
                                        > of my torso (not wearing it, just laid on top). Not cold, and maybe
                                        > a bit warm until early morning, then I was just perfect.
                                        >
                                        > Usually though, in polypro lonjohns, socks and a balaclava, with the
                                        > Kennebec on top, I'm good down to around 32-35F. My Kennebec
                                        > basically serves as a torso blanket on top of me.
                                        >
                                        > I'm about to start on a new addition to the over/under quilt that
                                        > for lack of a better name I call the wedge. As I noted in an
                                        > earlier post, the quilts I have made to date were a bit tight on the
                                        > girth, mostly due to construction from an unseamed lenght of
                                        > ripstop, usually 56-60" wide. The "wedge" will be kind of a diamond
                                        > shapped <> mini quilt with hook/loop on it's sides. This will
                                        > extend the girth just enough to eliminate the "tightness" I've been
                                        > struggling with.
                                        >
                                        > I may try making one the is rectangular, but with the hook/look laid
                                        > out in the diamond shape, resulting is some double layer overlap on
                                        > the inside.
                                        >
                                        > I don't do alot of cold weather hiking/camping, but a few of my
                                        > nights in the Oregon Cascades have dipped into the low 30's high
                                        > 20's and I'm not the worse for the wear of it.
                                        >
                                        > As always, if it does get to cold, I drop down to the ground with my
                                        > sitpad (ridgerest cut to 24"x27") and packpack (GG VT) as padding,
                                        > pitch the tarp low and burry myself in the quilt. Safety over
                                        > comfort.
                                        >
                                        > Shane "Mirage"...
                                      • Mirage
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

                                          > Very cool! Thanks for the info.

                                          My pleasure. The whole thing can be seen in the image sequence
                                          here: http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem

                                          > btw, what are the approximate dimensions of your quilt? loft?

                                          It's finished dimensions are 7'x4.5' (84"x54")

                                          > It's just a rectangle with the ends drawn up, right?

                                          Hook on one long edge, loop on the other, drawcord at each end
                                          (center pull), and Gross Grain loops at all 4 corners, 3 more on
                                          each long side and one centered at the foot and head ends.

                                          I use the loops with mitten hooks for a variety of configurations,
                                          including under my Hennessy.

                                          > And what does it weigh?

                                          My Primaloft ones are 44oz finished, the down one is 33oz.

                                          > If you can't tell, I'm considering making my own Mirage system :-)

                                          I finally put my instructions on the web.

                                          <DISCLAIMER>
                                          These instructions include no pics (yet) and have not been tested
                                          without me being present to make up for any deficiencies in them.
                                          I've only shared them with one other person and have no feed back
                                          yet on thier readability or how easy they are to follow and produce
                                          a working quilt.

                                          Use at your own risk, but if you use them, please send me edits or
                                          corrections (or praise, that always feels good ;)

                                          Please do not reproduce or redistribute them w/out approriate credit.
                                          </DISCLAIMER>

                                          Ok, so here ya go:

                                          http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/Under-Over-
                                          Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html

                                          OR

                                          http://tinyurl.com/45fz9
                                        • wootres4
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 25, 2005
                                            gerzson,

                                            You beat me to the punch. My eagles nest outfitters doublenest
                                            setup comes as hammock, bug net, and rain fly separately. The idea
                                            of slipping the sleeping bag around the hammock was something I was
                                            going to try this spring when the mercury rose a little higher.
                                            The hanging bug net solves the issue of annoying critters so flesh
                                            exposure isn't an issue in summer time either.

                                            I am curious; this forum seems to surround the Hennessey type set up
                                            with the hammock/net integrated design. Does my set up have
                                            problems on the trail? I can find very few reviews on the
                                            doublenest and it is not discussed in this forum that I can find.

                                            CHRIS

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@g...> wrote:
                                            > Hello,
                                            >
                                            > I have been watching this list for a year now and have used many
                                            good
                                            > ideas from here. I think it's time now so share some of mine.
                                            >
                                            > I like simplicity. I see that many of you come up with very
                                            > complicated plans to insulate the bottom part. All my (home-made)
                                            > sleeping bags have a double key zipper (opening also from the foot
                                            > end). But most of the commercial bags also have this feature. So
                                            the
                                            > idea is to put the hammock through the sleeping bag (entering at
                                            the
                                            > head end and going out in a small opening at the foot. This way the
                                            > bag remain inflated (insulating) around you. I've been using this
                                            > method for about 11 months and it's working.
                                            > The hammock must be put through the bag before tying it's last end
                                            of course.
                                            > After it's all set up just slide the bag to the foot end of the
                                            > hammock, get in and pull the bag around you (and your hammock).
                                            >
                                            > No more pads (sliding from under you), no more expensive sleeping
                                            bags
                                            > especially bought for hammock camping, less to carry. I just carry
                                            the
                                            > hammock, the sleeping bag and the tarp.
                                            >
                                            > This is working well with the Spear type hamock which I am using.
                                            Not
                                            > sure about the Hennessy or other commercial models.
                                            >

                                            > --
                                            >
                                            > gerzson
                                          • Mirage
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 28, 2005
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

                                              > I finally put my instructions on the web.
                                              >
                                              > Ok, so here ya go:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/Under-Over-
                                              Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html

                                              > OR
                                              >
                                              > http://tinyurl.com/45fz9

                                              I realized that my instructions did not have a Materials or cut list.

                                              I have updated the instructions with that info, and the cost
                                              estimates as well.

                                              Eventually, I'll get some pictures in there too.

                                              Shane "Mirage"...