colder weather hammocking

  • hikingdude2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
      I've read much about hammocking in colder weather. I'm taking a few
      days off from my thesis starting around March23 and hiking the loop
      at Shawnee State Forrest in SE Ohio. I'm expecting lows to be around
      30 degrees. Assuming an Ozark Trail 24x72x1/2" pad, Marmot 20 degree
      down bag, and wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
      Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
      really help all that much?

      Thanks,
      -John
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
        Message
        John, You'll be fine on top, but I'd recommend more bottom insulation--another 1/4-1/2" would help (see the table in my book, 70).  Not sure what you mean by wrapping your groundcloth around the hammock--but it should not be completely around the hammock or else condensation will be excessive.  It it's only covering the bottom of the hammock, it should work...Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
          John,

          The reflectix would help, but probably be overkill with your set up.
          Try putting your empty rucksack or some clothing in the space between
          the hammock and the underhung poncho. Make sure it is set up so wind
          does not blow between the hammock and the poncho.

          Failing that set up, having both pads would not be a bad thing to
          have in the hip pocket.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "hikingdude2003"
          <jp295301@o...> wrote:
          > I've read much about hammocking in colder weather. I'm taking a
          few
          > days off from my thesis starting around March23 and hiking the loop
          > at Shawnee State Forrest in SE Ohio. I'm expecting lows to be
          around
          > 30 degrees. Assuming an Ozark Trail 24x72x1/2" pad, Marmot 20
          degree
          > down bag, and wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
          > Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
          > really help all that much?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -John
        • hikingdude2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
            Ed,

            That's what I meant about the groudcloth, just being wrapped around
            the bottom. I'll probably tie the ends the the areas just above the
            hammock knots, then use binder clips to attach it to the sides of the
            hammock.

            -John
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
              Message
              That should work John...Ed

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2003
                > wrapping my groundcloth around the hammock (quicky
                > Garlinton Insulator), should I stay warm? Would the windshield pad
                > really help all that much?

                Forget the windshield pad. For the same weight, I would bring a
                large plastic bag and a 'space blanket' to use as insulation between
                the poncho and the bottom of the hammock. (crinkle up the space
                blanket well, then fold it lightly over itself to create a ~30" wide
                x 60" long blanket about 4"-5" thick. You should get about 5 layers
                of space blanket. Put this into the plastic bag, trap a little air
                and seal it with a twist tie or thick rubber band.)

                If you use this configuration and can pull the poncho up so the
                insulation just touches the hammock bottom, you won't get cold from
                underneath.