Indoor hanging

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23 8:45 AM
      I've been waiting for spring to bust out so i can start some hammock
      prototyping, but Since I am going stir crazy and there is still to
      much snow around my backyard test bed trees, I want to start buildidng
      indoors.

      So the question for the group. Especially the indoor hangers.
      I have a large glue-lam beam that crosses my garage. I would like to
      screw a couple of eyebolts in for hammock testing. What size?, Should
      they be put in vertically? slanted inwards? or outwards?

      Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23 9:01 AM

        Ralph, I’ve had success with 2” dia closed eyebolts (3/8” dia steel, 3” threads, installed horizontally on reinforced bedroom wall).  I bent my earlier 1/4” dia steel open hooks—but I was bouncing up and down in a hammock loaded with 350 lbs of sand!  Yeah, it was a prototype test to failure—the steel hooks failed first!  Then I switched to the 3/8” closed eyebolts and have had no problems….Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23 9:50 AM
          Ralph Oborn wrote:

          >I've been waiting for spring to bust out so i can start some hammock
          >prototyping, but Since I am going stir crazy and there is still to
          >much snow around my backyard test bed trees, I want to start buildidng
          >indoors.
          >
          >So the question for the group. Especially the indoor hangers.
          >I have a large glue-lam beam that crosses my garage. I would like to
          >screw a couple of eyebolts in for hammock testing. What size?, Should
          >they be put in vertically? slanted inwards? or outwards?
          >
          >Ralph Oborn

          For each wall, I use a 2x4 two feet long held out from the wall by two
          6 inch long scraps of 2x4. This is are bolted to the wall, through
          the wall board and 2x4 scraps with 4 lag screws that go 2 inches into a
          pair of wood wall joists. My walls are 10 feet apart and the hammock
          ends touch the 2x4 hangers. It would work even better in a room with
          walls 12 to 14 feet apart.

          I had just gotten up from a little after lunch nap in the hammock to
          write this. We recently ragged the walls of the little hammock room
          using a very light green base coat and a leaf green overcoat. It looks
          a lot like a forest glade now. The 2x4s are now painted the same as the
          walls and are quite camouflaged by the paint scheme.

          If you use eye bolts, I would strongly suggest using a pair of them
          several inches apart. As much as possible the hammock load should be
          along the axis of the eye bolt, so that it does not apply a bending
          force to the eye bolt.

          Rick
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23 10:17 AM
            Ok, thanks for the advice, I didn't know that I had to decorate my
            indoor test stand also. Now I have to think about how to make my
            garage look like a mixed quakey and pine forest and still get my wifes
            car inside. Is it neccesary to camoflauge her car also? :]

            I want to try hanging an old net hammock under my HH to hold an old
            sleeping bag up as an underquilt.

            The idea of a second safety hook makes a lot of sense. And the axial

            Ralph