Re: [Hammock Camping] Hot Springs in April

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 22 11:24 AM
      > I just put in for the day off that Sat (April 23). Hope I can get
      > it. If so I hope to make it tho the Trail Days and SEHH shinding.
      > never been to a trail days befor. ort to be interesting. will get
      > to watch JD's treck!!!

      I'm jealous... 'Course, ya'll wouldn't want to see me near a hot springs...

      Shane
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 22 11:47 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > I just put in for the day off that Sat (April 23). Hope I can
        get
        > > it. If so I hope to make it tho the Trail Days and SEHH
        shinding.
        > > never been to a trail days befor. ort to be interesting. will
        get
        > > to watch JD's treck!!!
        >
        > I'm jealous... 'Course, ya'll wouldn't want to see me near a hot
        springs...

        > Shane

        True, but if you could just swing by my place I'd drive on up. only
        about 5 hrs from here. couse you got about 10 hrs drivin to get to
        get to me. I'd even let you ride in the back of the truck LOL

        Coy Boy
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 22 12:34 PM
          Shane wrote:
          I just put in for the day off that Sat (April 23).  Hope I can get
          it.  If so I hope to make it tho the Trail Days and SEHH shinding.
          never been to a trail days befor.  ort to be interesting.  will get
          to watch JD's treck!!!

          I'm jealous...  'Course, ya'll wouldn't want to see me near a hot springs...

          Shane

          There are no hot springs in Hot Springs NC that I am aware of.  There is an outfit that rents time in hot tubs.

          I'm a little concerned that your statement "ya'll wouldn't want to see me near a hot springs..."  may be hiding some self loathing there. Shame? Ashamedness?
          I'm quite surprised.  ;)

          Rick
        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 22 4:59 PM

            > There are no hot springs in Hot Springs NC that I am aware of.

            * NOT * That I could ever doubt you...<g>... But, I had to check at
            <http://www.nchotsprings.com/>

            Where it sez:
            "Come to where Mother Nature waved her magical wand and created one of
            the most natural of all wonders, Natural Hot Mineral Waters. Heated
            deep within the earth, these crystal clear carbonated waters are
            famous for their mineral content and legendary healing powers. We pipe
            these waters to modern outdoor Jacuzzi type hot tubs that are drained
            and sanitized after each use."

            So... I guess there are no true "springs" gushing Yosemite-Like; but,
            something is hot (104 F...!) under the surface that they pipe into the
            jacuzzi.

            Not sure what all this means [ --- ;-) ], but, they go on to say:

            "We have a nationally certified & state licensed staff of massage
            therapists on hand to compliment your soaks or for separate service
            altogether."

            ??? Separate Services 'IN' the altogether...<g>...?????

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • karens62@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 22 5:55 PM
              "I just put in for the day off that Sat (April 23). Hope I can get it."

              Well, I wasn't planning on cooking but now I might have to make some coleslaw if nothing else.

              Karen
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 22 8:03 PM
                coleslaw would be nice!!! I figured to bring a charcoal grill, a
                few hotdogs and some soft drinks etc. the Sat night feed and liars
                session is always a blast!

                Coy Boy

              • karens62@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 23 5:34 AM
                  We'll have a big campfire so don't bother with the charcoal if what you have can be cooked on the fire! It would be helpful to bring your wood chopping muscles :)

                  Karen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 23 8:12 AM

                    You’re right Rick, the hot springs are actually warm springs, but they are natural.  However, the outfit renting hot tub time use the warm water from the natural springs, but do add additional heat.  Anyway, the outdoor tubs are neat and Karen & I often go a day early just for a late-night soak under the stars…..Ed

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 23 8:17 AM

                      Oh my gosh, were you lying the last time Coy?  I’ve devastated.  I believed you when you said your home-made 10 degree hammock outfit weighed only 6 ounces!  I’ve been beside myself trying to figure out what I was doing wrong….Ed

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 23 8:44 AM
                        Ed Speer wrote:

                        You’re right Rick, the hot springs are actually warm springs, but they are natural.  However, the outfit renting hot tub time use the warm water from the natural springs, but do add additional heat.  Anyway, the outdoor tubs are neat and Karen & I often go a day early just for a late-night soak under the stars…..Ed

                        I did not even know they were warm springs.  It's good to know that the place is at least using the naturally occuring warm springs.

                        Rick
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 23 11:19 AM
                          Get it straight ED!...that was -10 deg F and 5 oz including the pee
                          bottle (empty of course). keep at it and you will be able to tell
                          us about your success.

                          Coy Boy
                          PS I'm working on a newer version so be prepared to be amazed...I
                          may just tell about it instead of bringing it though:')

                          > Oh my gosh, were you lying the last time Coy? I've devastated. I
                          believed
                          > you when you said your home-made 10 degree hammock outfit weighed
                          only 6
                          > ounces! I've been beside myself trying to figure out what I was
                          doing
                          > wrong..Ed
                          >

                          > _____

                        • zippydooda
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 23 12:24 PM
                            I saw the hammock. It's made of aerogels and a verrrrry fine titanium
                            mesh.

                            Bill in Houston

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 23 12:33 PM

                              I see I’m up against far superior forces here—think I’ll just go to Hot Springs and cleanse my sole at the bar.  Sure hope the temperature is above -10F!

                              Coy, you have to bring that new hammock now.  Just to make you feel better, I’m also bringing a few new items—should be fun.   ….Ed

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 23 12:35 PM

                                You’se guys will lead me to drinking if you keep this up….Ed

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 23 12:47 PM
                                  > I saw the hammock. It's made of aerogels and a verrrrry fine titanium
                                  > mesh.

                                  That's ancient history. I've got one now that's two little tacks. You
                                  stick them into the tree, and they generate a hammock shaped gravometric
                                  field. Keeps the rain and bugs off you too. You can adjust the temperature
                                  with the remote control that is a little piece of tape that sticks to your
                                  fingernail.

                                  Shane
                                • Paul Kaercher
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 23 1:22 PM
                                    Shane you have me beat for simplicity.

                                    My system uses genetically engineered spiders. They make me a hammock and tarp
                                    each night out of non-stick silk and a bug net using non-stick on the sides.
                                    They use sticky silk at the top of the bug net to catch their own food.
                                    In the morning they eat the hammock, tarp, & bug net (recycle & LNT).
                                    The spiders are 4 oz each (I take 2 in case one gets squished)
                                    They last one season, are self replicating, but don't work in the Winter (making them
                                    warm-blooded makes them too heavy.)

                                    I'm working on a larger 4 season model (warm-blooded) that will follow behind
                                    me (pheromone trailing) so weight will not be a factor.

                                    OH-NO
                                  • Ralph Oborn
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 23 2:38 PM
                                      Mine would at least carry my pack, next year we'll work on the
                                      winnabego model that will cary me!, The year after I want one that
                                      cooks.

                                      Ralph (over the line to riduculas)

                                      On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:22:37 -0000, Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@...> wrote:

                                      > Shane you have me beat for simplicity.
                                      >
                                      > My system uses genetically engineered spiders. They make me a hammock and
                                      > tarp
                                      > each night out of non-stick silk and a bug net using non-stick on the sides.
                                      > They use sticky silk at the top of the bug net to catch their own food.
                                      > In the morning they eat the hammock, tarp, & bug net (recycle & LNT).
                                      > The spiders are 4 oz each (I take 2 in case one gets squished)
                                      > They last one season, are self replicating, but don't work in the Winter
                                      > (making them
                                      > warm-blooded makes them too heavy.)
                                      >
                                      > I'm working on a larger 4 season model (warm-blooded) that will follow
                                      > behind
                                      > me (pheromone trailing) so weight will not be a factor.
                                      >
                                      > OH-NO

                                    • Shane
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 23 2:51 PM
                                        > Shane you have me beat for simplicity.

                                        Yeah, but these batteries are really expensive...

                                        Shane
                                      • jack_tier
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 23 3:48 PM
                                          Sure glad I wear shorts...getting deep in here...

                                          Can't wait to see the new hammocks at trail fest.....I'm training a
                                          slug to crawl over the backside of anyone in the spider web model to
                                          create a layer of slug slime to keep one warm....so far the only
                                          problem is the slug has to be carried because he keeps falling
                                          behing on the training hikes.....maybe I'll just put him in Ed's
                                          pack.....

                                          jack

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                                          <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                                          > Mine would at least carry my pack, next year we'll work on the
                                          > winnabego model that will cary me!, The year after I want one that
                                          > cooks.
                                          >
                                          > Ralph (over the line to riduculas)
                                          >

                                          > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:22:37 -0000, Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@h...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > Shane you have me beat for simplicity.
                                          > >
                                          > > My system uses genetically engineered spiders. They make me a
                                          hammock and
                                          > > tarp
                                          > > each night out of non-stick silk and a bug net using non-stick
                                          on the sides.
                                          > > They use sticky silk at the top of the bug net to catch their
                                          own food.
                                          > > In the morning they eat the hammock, tarp, & bug net (recycle &
                                          LNT).
                                          > > The spiders are 4 oz each (I take 2 in case one gets squished)
                                          > > They last one season, are self replicating, but don't work in
                                          the Winter
                                          > > (making them
                                          > > warm-blooded makes them too heavy.)
                                          > >
                                          > > I'm working on a larger 4 season model (warm-blooded) that will
                                          follow
                                          > > behind
                                          > > me (pheromone trailing) so weight will not be a factor.
                                          > >
                                          > > OH-NO

                                          Service.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 23 3:57 PM

                                            If this keeps up, I may not wait til Hot Springs to seek liquid solace…Ed

                                            <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                                            > Mine would at least carry my pack, next year we'll work on the
                                            > winnabego model that will cary me!, The year after I want one that
                                            > cooks.
                                            >
                                            > Ralph  (over the line to riduculas)
                                            >

                                            > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:22:37 -0000, Paul Kaercher <yomas_1@h...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > > Shane you have me beat for simplicity.
                                            > >
                                            > > My system uses genetically engineered spiders. They make me a
                                            hammock and
                                            > > tarp
                                            > > each night out of non-stick silk and a bug net using non-stick
                                            on the sides.
                                            > > They use sticky silk at the top of the bug net to catch their
                                            own food.
                                            > > In the morning they eat the hammock, tarp, & bug net (recycle &
                                            LNT).
                                            > > The spiders are 4 oz each (I take 2 in case one gets squished)
                                            > > They last one season, are self replicating, but don't work in
                                            the Winter
                                            > > (making them
                                            > > warm-blooded makes them too heavy.)
                                            > >
                                            > > I'm working on a larger 4 season model (warm-blooded) that will
                                            follow
                                            > > behind
                                            > > me (pheromone trailing) so weight will not be a factor.
                                            > >
                                            > > OH-NO

                                          • jwj32542
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 23 4:35 PM
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                                              > That's ancient history. I've got one now that's two little
                                              tacks. You
                                              > stick them into the tree, and they generate a hammock shaped
                                              gravometric
                                              > field. Keeps the rain and bugs off you too. You can adjust the
                                              temperature
                                              > with the remote control that is a little piece of tape that sticks
                                              to your
                                              > fingernail.

                                              That's a lot like mine, and almost as good!

                                              Mine uses automatically reconstructive nanotechnology...I just give
                                              it directions and it makes itself. When I'm ready for breakfast, it
                                              becomes a stove. (I have to supply my own water, though...still
                                              working on that one.) For the really cold nights, it's a hammock
                                              AND a stove...set me on simmer and I'm good till morning. And if I
                                              need to pee? Well, I'll have to work on the reusable part for that,
                                              but it also makes a one-use pee bottle (don't want to eat out of a
                                              stove that was once a pee bottle, ya know).

                                              When I'm ready to hike, it becomes my backpack. It can also become
                                              one of those Segway scooters (only an as-yet-unreleased-to-the-
                                              public off-road version), but I tend to get funny looks with that on
                                              the trail, so I just make it a pack.

                                              Not quite as light as that gravitational field hammock, but a bit
                                              more versatile.

                                              I'd bring it to Hot Springs, only I promised my brother he could
                                              borrow it that weekend.

                                              Jeff
                                            • Mirage
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 23 5:16 PM
                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                                                > > Shane you have me beat for simplicity.
                                                >
                                                > Yeah, but these batteries are really expensive...
                                                >
                                                > Shane

                                                simple minds...

                                                Think geothermal power (solar only works during the day, when we
                                                usually are not trying to sleep...) or bio-electric fields balanced
                                                against the geo-magnetic fields...

                                                Shane "Mirage"...
                                              • J.D. Hoessle
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 23 6:29 PM
                                                  > If this keeps up, I may not wait til Hot Springs to seek liquid
                                                  > solace.Ed

                                                  Mercy.....!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  All of these new mods and innovations!

                                                  All I want to learn is the secreat handshake...

                                                  J.D.
                                                • jwj32542
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 23 7:56 PM
                                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > All I want to learn is the secreat handshake...

                                                    There's a SECREAT handshake, too?! I haven't even learned the
                                                    SECRET one yet!! How many hammocks do I have to make before I'm in
                                                    the club?

                                                    Jeff
                                                  • Shane Steinkamp
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 23 8:00 PM
                                                      > There's a SECREAT handshake, too?! I haven't even learned
                                                      > the SECRET one yet!! How many hammocks do I have to make
                                                      > before I'm in the club?

                                                      Three.

                                                      After seven, you can join the Royal Order.

                                                      Shane
                                                    • Dave Bellinski
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 24 12:15 PM

                                                           Fellow hangers,

                                                        I think I'd have to see some of these futuristic hammocks before I'd believe them. I won't be able to this year, as I'll be wrapping up a section hike on April 23 at Fontana , testing my own "Best ever hammock".

                                                        The way I see it, you've been relying too, too heavily on technology in the field, which is dependant upon a source of energy, ie. batteries to work, or upon sophisticated materials.

                                                        I've approached the problem differently, relying solely upon solar energy to function in the field, and constructed entirely of natural materials.

                                                        I've constructed a down insulated hammock, with 8" of loft, made completely of silk. The material must be organic, because the process I use to withdraw nearly all moisture from the cells, must be able to gently split the cell walls, making it impossible for the cells to hold moisture for an extended period of time, yet preserving the strength of the cell. The end result is a hammock that is so reduced in bulk and weight, that it makes one of those string bikinis look like a parachute. I've been using a stuff sack made from a thumb of a glove.

                                                        Deployment in the field is a snap, simply submerge the dehydrated hammock in a gallon of water. This thirsty sucka will absorb the whole gallon in less time than it takes to tell. Completely dry to the touch, it will now weigh 8lbs 3 oz, which is of no consequence now, since we don't have to pack it, in its hydrated state.

                                                        Find a couple of trees to hang in, and enjoy a good night sleep regardless of the weather (tested to -20F, wind chill -40F). As soon as the sun (radiant energy) hits the surface of the hammock, it begins to dehydrate again, back to its freeze dried size. Simplicity!!

                                                        Still have to work out a few bugs, man don't ever get caught sleeping in when the sun rises, must keep away from sparks, and how do you pack this baby out when it's pouring cats and dogs??

                                                        Any suggestions from more experienced swingers would be appreciated.

                                                        Sincerely, Light'ning

                                                      • Mark Bayern
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 24 4:08 PM
                                                          A _GALLON_?? of water? I guess you won't be using any dry campsites. <grin>

                                                          If you could make a summer only version (maybe with 2" of loft?) it
                                                          might only take a quart of water, and you could use the small finger
                                                          of a glove for a stuff sack.

                                                          Let me know when you get those 'few bugs' worked out. :)

                                                          Mark