Re: [Hammock Camping] Intro/Sleeping bag under HH?

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
      Since I'm new to this list I guess I should start with a short
      introduction, and confession:

      Seven years ago I started experimenting with a hammock for camping.  I
      had no idea there were other nuts out there doing this.  My excuse is I
      never saw anyone else trying to sleep in a hammock at night.

      My system was simple. I used a large Yucatan string hammock under a 19'
      Moss Parawing. Pretty comfy except for the things you folks are all too
      familiar with, cold weather and traditional sleeping mats like
      Thermarest sliding out from under and not bending just right.

      Virtually 100% of my camping is via motorcycle and my favorite is what
      some here call 'stealth camping.'  Eastern Oregon has hundreds of little
      used or undesignated camping areas that are perfect for avoiding those
      who like to bring their urban noise and lifestyle into the 'wilderness.'

      Last year, at the end of my camping season I bought a Hennessy Hammock
      and recently a Big Agnes bag rated 15 degrees F.  The Big Agnes has a
      pad slot on the underside instead of insulation.  I'm using one of their
      inflatable 20" x 72" inflatable REM pads.  First time I tried it I was
      so comfortable I could detect zero pressure points and had the
      pleasantly odd sensation of not being able to tell my body position.
      With my eyes shut, I supposed it was something like a sensory
      deprivation chamber.

      Anyway, the fly in the ointment is no surprise.  At 20 degrees last
      night, it was not quite warm enough, despite a couple of small
      thermarest pads I use for cold spots.

      So... I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a big DIY sewing operation on the
      HH, but wondered if anyone has tried shock cording a spare, unzipped
      down sleeping bag underneath the HH.
           How feasible is it to sew loops into the bag and HH?  With
      motorcycle camping, space is much more important than weight, so down is
      the insulation of choice.

      _ Dan Arnold
         Richland, WA

    • Dan Arnold
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
        Thanks Tom. Sounds like good ideas. I may get the gumption to cut the
        bottom of my old NorthFace down mummy bag if I can figure out how to do
        it without getting down everywhere. I was thinking of cutting where the
        zipper ends, down to the end of the foot. Maybe sew the seams first,
        then cut.

      • tjarrell@cox.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005

          tjarrell@... wrote:

          > Dan,
          >
          > Welcome in from the cold.  I took an Army extream cold weather mummy
          > bag and split it open from hood to foot.  I then cut the seam across
          > the foot and closed it back up.  The result is an insulated quilt
          > (with both down and synthetic insulation) that is wide at the
          > shoulders and tapers to the foot.  I sewed on heavy plastic
          > triangles(bought at a fabric store) to the four corners using 3/4 inch
          > gross grain ribbon.  I modified my HH by adding a metal ring (about 1
          > inch in diameter, also bought at a fabric store) at each point where
          > the hammock attached to the hanging rope.  By using an simple overhand
          > knot the rings were fixed to the rope.  (This also serves as a great
          > place to hang things from the hammock.)
          >
          > When you route the lines for the quilt up through the rings and then
          > tie them off on your tree hugger it helps pull the lines up along the
          > hammock shape.
          >
          > I also added a clip to the sides of the quilt to attach to the side
          > pullout on the hammock.  My next attempt will be to split the foot of
          > the quilt and add velcro so that it will attach to the HH's opening.
          > Once I have this done I'll investigate adding some gathers to help
          > seal the quilt from outside airflow.
          >
          > I've used this once in near freezing conditions with a 15 mph breeze.
          > It worked fine.  Now if I could only learn how to use a sewing machine
          > and not do the job by hand I could speed this project along before it
          > gets too warm to need the shield.
          >
          > Tom in Virginia Beach, VA

        • Dan Arnold
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
            tjarrell@... wrote:

            > Dan, that sounds like what I did. Just removed the stop from the
            > zipper and then toon a seam ripper and opend up the seam. I then
            > folded the loose ends back into the bag and used document clamps to
            > hold the seams closed. I then hand sewed the area.
            >
            > One of the old hands recommended awhile back that you do any down work
            > inside an enclosed area, such as a tent, so that the feathers don't go
            > everywhere and your companion (wife, girl friend, whomever) doesn't go
            > on the warpath due to the down going everywhere inside the house.
            >
            > Tom

            =o) We do it differently out West. We put the girlfriend in the
            enclosure and...
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
              I've seen pics of that on the thruhiker downquilt makeing plans or
              somewhere similar. used a shop vac to clean up and reversed to
              maybe blow down in the tubes? Funny thing is, thats bout all a tent
              is good for. OK sorry bout that little dig.

              Coy Boy