Intro/Sleeping bag under HH?

  • Dan Arnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
      Since I'm new to this list I guess I should start with a short
      introduction, and confession:

      Seven years ago I started experimenting with a hammock for camping. I
      had no idea there were other nuts out there doing this. My excuse is I
      never saw anyone else trying to sleep in a hammock at night.

      My system was simple. I used a large Yucatan string hammock under a 19'
      Moss Parawing. Pretty comfy except for the things you folks are all too
      familiar with, cold weather and traditional sleeping mats like
      Thermarest sliding out from under and not bending just right.

      Virtually 100% of my camping is via motorcycle and my favorite is what
      some here call 'stealth camping.' Eastern Oregon has hundreds of little
      used or undesignated camping areas that are perfect for avoiding those
      who like to bring their urban noise and lifestyle into the 'wilderness.'

      Last year, at the end of my camping season I bought a Hennessy Hammock
      and recently a Big Agnes bag rated 15 degrees F. The Big Agnes has a
      pad slot on the underside instead of insulation. I'm using one of their
      inflatable 20" x 72" inflatable REM pads. First time I tried it I was
      so comfortable I could detect zero pressure points and had the
      pleasantly odd sensation of not being able to tell my body position.
      With my eyes shut, I supposed it was something like a sensory
      deprivation chamber.

      Anyway, the fly in the ointment is no surprise. At 20 degrees last
      night, it was not quite warm enough, despite a couple of small
      thermarest pads I use for cold spots.

      So... I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a big DIY sewing operation on the
      HH, but wondered if anyone has tried shock cording a spare, unzipped
      down sleeping bag underneath the HH.
      How feasible is it to sew loops into the bag and HH? With
      motorcycle camping, space is much more important than weight, so down is
      the insulation of choice.

      _ Dan Arnold
      Richland, WA
    • gear_collector
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
        Hi Dan,

        Since the integrated Big Agnes system so well for you, just upgrade
        your REM pad to the "insulated air core" version from Big Agnes (or
        a similar primaloft air pad from InsulMat). I think you'll be good
        to 20F, especially with the additional thermarest small pads you
        use. No need to mess with trying to rig up a sleeping bag with just
        the right tension under your HH and no blocking of your doorway.

        David

        > The Big Agnes has a pad slot on the underside instead of
        > insulation. I'm using one of their inflatable 20" x 72"
        > inflatable REM pads. First time I tried it I was
        > so comfortable I could detect zero pressure points and had the
        > pleasantly odd sensation of not being able to tell my body
        > position. With my eyes shut, I supposed it was something
        > like a sensory
        > deprivation chamber.

      • Dan Arnold
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
          gear_collector wrote:

          > Hi Dan,
          >
          > Since the integrated Big Agnes system so well for you, just upgrade
          > your REM pad to the "insulated air core" version from Big Agnes (or
          > a similar primaloft air pad from InsulMat). I think you'll be good
          > to 20F, especially with the additional thermarest small pads you
          > use. No need to mess with trying to rig up a sleeping bag with just
          > the right tension under your HH and no blocking of your doorway.

          David, I'm kicking myself for being too cheap to go for the Primaloft
          version of the REM. Maybe Backcountry.com will let me trade it in.
          Didn't know about InsulMat. I'll check it out. Thanks.