Subject: Re: Silk Hammock "finished"

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21 8:01 PM
      Thanks for report and pics, Ray. Very innovative to use silk, strange that it's not down proof but that's great information anyway. How about a no-seeum net liner to make this work, if silk turns out to be that worth using? That's probably the lightest thing going and presumably it works since it's used for baffles in sleeping bags sometimes.

      Looking forward to your field tests of silk hammock.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22 6:04 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
        > Very innovative to use silk (for insulating bag), strange that
        > it's not down proof but that's great information anyway. How about
        a no-seeum
        > net liner to make this work, if silk turns out to be that worth
        using?
        The problem is very fine feathers working through the fabric. No-
        seeum netting would not slow them down any.

        > Looking forward to your field tests of silk hammock.

        I'll let everyone know how it goes; however, Gardenville has already
        reported that an 8mm silk hammock body has held up for about a year
        of use. I think he was in the 150-160 pound range at that time.
        I'm using the 10mm silk, which is heavier, but weigh more: 185
        pounds.