Subject: Re: 1" webbing and D-rings

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
      Rick,

      I've been using the 1" polypro webbing that's sold for car top tiedowns. Cut off the crappy stamped steel buckles, and it works OK,  holds body weight fine. It is subject to wear though, and I'd like to find something a little heavier and more durable. I've been putting a few inches of nylon tubular in the end loops formed with a single overhand knot to increase the life. This area gets damaged from hooks and thin ropes.

      Any sources for polyester webbing or heavier duty polypro you can recommend?

      Thanks, Todd in Tarzana.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
        ptoddf@... wrote:
        Rick,

        I've been using the 1" polypro webbing that's sold for car top tiedowns. Cut off the crappy stamped steel buckles, and it works OK,  holds body weight fine. It is subject to wear though, and I'd like to find something a little heavier and more durable. I've been putting a few inches of nylon tubular in the end loops formed with a single overhand knot to increase the life. This area gets damaged from hooks and thin ropes.

        Any sources for polyester webbing or heavier duty polypro you can recommend?

        Thanks, Todd in Tarzana.
        http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm#WEBBING-NYLON

        Polypro 1" strap 10 yards  Breaking strength 600# according to a phone call
        #1023 in several colors .45/yd total: 4.50

        or

        http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/webbing.asp

        Polypro 1" strap 10 yards  breaking strength:  not listed, but quite stout, plenty strong
        WP1H black .34/yd total: $3.40

        Risk
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
          > ptoddf@a... wrote:
          > > Any sources for polyester webbing or heavier duty polypro you
          can
          > > recommend?

          Don't know if it's heavier than what you're using now, but...

          www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

          Webbing, Polypropylene Protects trees, recommend 2 @ 12' ea for
          hammock;
          1" Wide, 700 lb breaking strength (supports up to 250 lbs in
          hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 5 oz; $0.50/yd
          1.5" Wide, 1,050 lb breaking strength (supports up to 350 lbs in
          hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 7.5 oz; $0.75/yd
        • ptoddf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005
            Thanks for leads on strapping, and Dave's mention of Hoggans, who can supply polyester.

            Dave, could you describe what straps you had made up? Were these tree straps, or suspension straps from the hammock? Did you use double D rings to cinch off the tie or just
            a single ring on each end?

            Thanks, Todd in Tarzana.

          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2005
              Todd and all:

              I ordered four straps using their "tight medium weight
              polypro". These were descirbed as "double-d-ring, 15-feet
              long, like your #286" which is the gas can strap. I never
              specified which D-rings to use, but I did specify that the
              finished strapping should good for 600 lb.

              Earlier, Kevin of Hoggans gave me these specs on their
              polypro webbing:

              Light weight polypro 400 lb
              Tight medium weight polypro 600 lb
              Heavy weight polypro 800 lb

              These are tree straps. I hold the D-rings about a foot away
              from the tree, then wrap the strap around the tree using the
              Speer wrap. My hammock has tubular webbing through a casing
              at either end. So the hammock rope goes through the D-rings
              to hang and adjust the hammock.

              My current notion of a better rig is to shorten the hammock
              ropes and attach the D-rings to them. This would position
              the D-rings at a constant distance from the edge of my tarp,
              where they can serve as drip rings.

              In this scheme, the tree straps would revert to simple
              polypro webbing with no hardware. I'd tie a small loop in
              one end using a water knot. This loop would start at the
              trunk, facing the hammock. I'd run the free end of the
              strapping around the tree as many times as the trunk
              thickness would allow, then pass the end through the small
              loop, then on to the hammock rope D-rings for attachment.

              I'm currently using a single, large loop of polypro strap
              made by tying the ends in a water knot. I've added a belay
              ring to this strap. I loop the strap around the trunk using
              a lark's head hitch and tie the hammock ropes through the
              ring with a slipped sheet bend (aka hammock knot). This
              works well, but is tedious to adjust and has little
              allowance for different trunk thicknesses.

              Bear