Hammock vs tarptent

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
      First let me say I own a hennessy safari hammock & I love it. I
      originally bought it to sleep myself and one of my kids (they are
      both under 5). For this purpose it works great. My problem arises
      when I go out with another adult and I need sleeping for two. I'm
      sure you'll all agree that hammock camping is better when you camp
      with other people in hammocks. Ok so here is the problem. I live in
      the eastern US by the way. Do I buy a Henry shires tarptent so two
      of us can sleep for minimial weight. Or do I buy a second hammock,
      was thinking of getting an EXTREME LIGHT RACER A-SYM. I only weigh
      165 lbs and am extremely gentle with my gear. What are you thoughts
      on the plus's and minus's of this descioson.

      Thanks
      Bob
    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
        Hi Bob.

        At 165 lbs the HH Racer should work fine for you. Your friend will
        need a hammock reated for thier weight. I'v set up a Safari and it
        is huge. If your funds allow it would not hurt to get the Shire
        Tarp Tent as well. It can be lighter than 2 hammocks. But for a
        good nites rest for both parties hammocks are still nice. It can be
        easier to deal with cold on the ground in a tent, so if you plan a
        lot of cold weather camping either plan on working out a pad or
        under quilt solution or stick to the TarpTent for really cold
        weather. Personally I like a tent when I'm camping with my wife but
        if it's me and the kids we each like our own hammock. With your
        young kids they probably fell safer sleeping with others. You could
        use your Safari (like you already mentioned) or a tent. I've even
        had one of my kids sleeping in a hammock whith the other on the
        ground under the hammmock. I'v thought about putting the tarp and
        first hammock up really high and another hammock under it. The top
        hammock user might need assistance getting in and out of the
        hammock. The bottom hammock user might be tempted to boot the top
        hammocker out (some kids, and some adults play rough) Whatever you
        decide let us know.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rnunnink@s...> wrote:
        > First let me say I own a hennessy safari hammock & I love it. I
        > originally bought it to sleep myself and one of my kids (they are
        > both under 5). For this purpose it works great. My problem
        arises
        > when I go out with another adult and I need sleeping for two. I'm
        > sure you'll all agree that hammock camping is better when you camp
        > with other people in hammocks. Ok so here is the problem. I live
        in
        > the eastern US by the way. Do I buy a Henry shires tarptent so
        two
        > of us can sleep for minimial weight. Or do I buy a second
        hammock,
        > was thinking of getting an EXTREME LIGHT RACER A-SYM. I only
        weigh
        > 165 lbs and am extremely gentle with my gear. What are you
        thoughts
        > on the plus's and minus's of this descioson.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Bob
      • Marge Prothman
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
          Well now, that is really innovative "Bunk Beds" for kids.
          It made me chuckle, but what a great idea.

          I have used a tarptent big enough for two for the past five years and here
          is what I have discovered. If I am alone, and depending on the location and
          the weather, I will take my hammock. Last summer was my first year using the
          hammock and I liked it.

          The tarptent which I always set up in the A Frame configuration, with all
          the stakes, tyvek and I have netting both ends with light zippers etc.weighs
          more than my hammock, just under three pounds. When two people use it, we
          split the weight so it is only one and half pounds each. Or one of us carry
          more of something else.

          I feel, in a small tarp you are prone to condensation, with the bigger tarp
          8 x 10 Silnylon from Campmor I have yet to experience condensation.

          So for me it boils down to Who, Where and What.
          Cheers,
          Marge [The Old Gal]
          http://www.prothman.org/marge

          At 165 lbs the HH Racer should work fine for you. Your friend will
          need a hammock reated for thier weight. I'v set up a Safari and it
          is huge. If your funds allow it would not hurt to get the Shire
          Tarp Tent as well. It can be lighter than 2 hammocks. But for a
          good nites rest for both parties hammocks are still nice. It can be
          easier to deal with cold on the ground in a tent, so if you plan a
          lot of cold weather camping either plan on working out a pad or
          under quilt solution or stick to the TarpTent for really cold
          weather. Personally I like a tent when I'm camping with my wife but
          if it's me and the kids we each like our own hammock. With your
          young kids they probably fell safer sleeping with others. You could
          use your Safari (like you already mentioned) or a tent. I've even
          had one of my kids sleeping in a hammock whith the other on the
          ground under the hammmock. I'v thought about putting the tarp and
          first hammock up really high and another hammock under it. The top
          hammock user might need assistance getting in and out of the
          hammock. The bottom hammock user might be tempted to boot the top
          hammocker out (some kids, and some adults play rough) Whatever you
          decide let us know.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rnunnink@s...> wrote:
          > First let me say I own a hennessy safari hammock & I love it. I
          > originally bought it to sleep myself and one of my kids (they are
          > both under 5). For this purpose it works great. My problem
          arises
          > when I go out with another adult and I need sleeping for two. I'm
          > sure you'll all agree that hammock camping is better when you camp
          > with other people in hammocks. Ok so here is the problem. I live
          in
          > the eastern US by the way. Do I buy a Henry shires tarptent so
          two
          > of us can sleep for minimial weight. Or do I buy a second
          hammock,
          > was thinking of getting an EXTREME LIGHT RACER A-SYM. I only
          weigh
          > 165 lbs and am extremely gentle with my gear. What are you
          thoughts
          > on the plus's and minus's of this descioson.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Bob

        • geoflyfisher
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
            Hi Bob,

            Henry's Tarptent is a great piece of gear. But I am always more
            comfortable in a hammock than in a tent with a very lightweight pad.
            If I use the thermarest pad, I sleep fine, but with that extra weight
            I can trade out and carry a hammock and 6 oz pad instead (unless it
            is very cold) for less total weight.

            BTW, Diane and I did a little experiment to combat the solo/lonely
            nature of hammock camping (without risking tearing the things up with
            double the rated weight:

            http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/ultradoublehammock.htm

            Happy camping and hiking!

            Flyfisher <><
          • robi dawson
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
              Hi everbody!

              Being new here- just joined the other day I have already learned a vast amount of useful stuff.

              The kids are all whipped up to try hammocking. They had one question which surprised me in that I did not actually think of it.

              When you take the hammock instead of a tent where do you store your gear at night or on short excursions from the campsite?

              and if you opt for a tarp ten - where i will be fore 2 weeks this summer is barren, not much to hang a hammock from, - how do you keep from getting wet from water that leaks in on the ground?

              Robi
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003

                > When you take the hammock instead of a tent where do you store your
                gear at
                > night or on short excursions from the campsite?

                Sgt Rock's tips #5
                http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock2.html#Tip%205
                is a great illustration of where to store your stuff when hammock
                camping

                > and if you opt for a tarp ten - where i will be fore 2 weeks this
                summer is
                > barren, not much to hang a hammock from, - how do you keep from
                getting wet
                > from water that leaks in on the ground?

                Not being a tarper I understand you either use a ground cloth of
                tyvek or plastic and you always pitch a tarp in a place with good
                drainage. Ray Jardine recomends you pitch it on a gentle slop and
                sleep with you feet uphill.
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
                  Message
                  Robi, I store some of my stuff (shoes, glasses, flashlight, journal, bandana, etc) on the ground beneath my hammock or back in my pack which is then hung from a hammock hanging strap so that I can reach it if necessary.  Since my hammock is top entry, it's easy to reach out and reach my gear.  If I'm using the PeaPod, I can put things inside it, between the PeaPod and the hammock.  Everything is within easy reach....Ed

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
                    COOL!

                    Sgt Rock's tips #5
                    http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock2.html#Tip%205
                    is a great illustration of where to store your stuff when hammock
                    camping

                    quite easy, and obvious, when you think about it....

                    Robi
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
                      > Well now, that is really innovative "Bunk Beds" for kids.
                      > It made me chuckle, but what a great idea.

                      The following is excerpted from http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/

                      "Steve,
                      I thought you might appreciate my interest in jungle hammocks. I was in the
                      Army in Vietnam in a valley on the Laotian border, west of DaNang. When we
                      had a place to hang them, our hammocks were the most comfortable way for us
                      to rest/sleep. We were a Search&Destroy team and our patrols were 30days
                      out, 6days back in DaNang. We would use our ponchos as a rainfly and wrap
                      ourselves in our poncho liners (camo blanket). As you can see in the photos,
                      trees were at a premium when a whole infantry company set up an AO, double
                      was typical, we even had some triple deckers (wow the guy who was on top).
                      CaptJack"

                      There is an image of some soldiers in Vietnam using this setup here:

                      http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/2001August/JackKrohnNamHammocks.jpg

                      Shane
                    • David Chinell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
                        Shane and all:

                        The hammocks shown in that picture are not the older (WW II)
                        jungle hammocks, but are tropical hammocks. I sometimes term
                        these "simple" hammocks, to differentiate them from closed
                        hammocks like the Hennessy or Clark hammocks, which could be
                        viewed as modern versions of the jungle hammock.

                        Bear
                      • Shane
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
                          > The hammocks shown in that picture are not the older (WW II)
                          > jungle hammocks, but are tropical hammocks. I sometimes term
                          > these "simple" hammocks, to differentiate them from closed
                          > hammocks like the Hennessy or Clark hammocks, which could be
                          > viewed as modern versions of the jungle hammock.

                          You're right in that there needs to be a way to differentiate between them.
                          Clarks, for example, are Jungle Hammocks - they follow the model of
                          stretching a flat bed. Hennessy Hammocks are actually Mayan Hammocks - they
                          follow the model of a loose, droopy bed. Enclosure is less important than
                          the sleeping style, IMO.

                          Shane