Just posted some pics

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
      Finally got around to taking some pics. I tried using the MS Word
      webpage editor...man, that thing sucks when you're putting in
      pictures! It was doing some crazy stuff!

      Anyway, it's not pretty but the pics are in there with some
      descriptions. Have a look and let me know what you think.

      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockPage.htm

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
        Hi Jeff,

        You may want to look at the nvu html editor. It is free and easy to
        use. It builds nice simple code. I have MS Front Page and use Nvu
        instead when building all my new web pages.

        http://www.nvu.com/

        Rick

        jwj32542 wrote:

        >Finally got around to taking some pics. I tried using the MS Word
        >webpage editor...man, that thing sucks when you're putting in
        >pictures! It was doing some crazy stuff!
        >
        >Anyway, it's not pretty but the pics are in there with some
        >descriptions. Have a look and let me know what you think.
        >
        >http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockPage.htm

      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
          > Have a look and let me know what you think.

          Jeff

          I think you have an excellent design that will be difficult to
          improve. The only down side is the bulk of your warmhammock
          insulation. I particularly like your travel sock and have planned
          to do something similar. The difference might be to use some
          screening material at the top. It is good incremental improvement
          from hammock pants, hammock shirt to hammock sock.

          In my designs, I have been trying to keep everything modular/ add
          on. In other words, keep all the components separate and clip them
          on when needed, e.g. bottom insulation, bug screen, tarp.
          Unfortunately, I keep running into the need to encorporate zippers,
          which I don't want to do.
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > The only down side is the bulk of your warmhammock
            > insulation.

            Agreed...it's pretty bulky. In that regard, I'll probably just take
            the Nest when I'm worried about weight and bulk, unless I can pare
            down the bulk somehow.

            > I particularly like your travel sock and have planned
            > to do something similar. The difference might be to use some
            > screening material at the top.

            I had plans to cut a 30"-36" slit, in line with the hammock, right
            above my face when the sock is completely deployed. Then sew a
            diamond-shaped section of bug net into it. Then I could just use
            that instead of a full bugnet as long as it wasn't too hot. After
            last night's test I'm not sure I need it, though.

            > In my designs, I have been trying to keep everything modular/ add
            > on.

            Agreed!

            > Unfortunately, I keep running into the need to encorporate
            > zippers, which I don't want to do.

            I'm trying to avoid velcro and zippers both. I think I can do most
            things with shockcord and drawstrings, which are easier to work
            with, less bulky, and less prone to failure in the field. I haven't
            measured, but it seems lighter, too.

            I was going to make a bugnet sock, but then I saw Mirage's system
            and am reconsidering.

            http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/index.htm

            With this system, I could but the TravelSock inside the ridgeline
            and the bugnet outside the ridgeline. I'm wondering if the
            shockcord might compress the insulation too much, though.

            When I get the TravelSock pattern down, I might make one from
            waterproof/breathable material. I'll just need to find a way to
            vent my breath.

            Jeff
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
              > You may want to look at the nvu html editor. It is free and easy
              > use. It builds nice simple code.

              On your suggestion I tried this, and will continue to use it. Also,
              it made me look into using style sheets, which I'm also going to
              using more effectively. There are some good tutorials here:

              http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp